Noise from turnpike

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2019, 08:45 PM
Default Noise from turnpike

Goldwingnut pondered the question on his recent video of how is the noise down in the linden,monarch grove area? Any of y'all who live close to the turnpike can give your input would be great. I have seen some great house prices along the streets that back up to the turnpike but wonder if it's worth the deal. Thanks for any input.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

We live in Osceola Hills but we often go to Linden, Monarch Grove, and Marsh Bend to enjoy the beautiful walking trails. When the wind is blowing toward the southwest, the noise from the turnpike is pretty bad in all three areas..

In our neighborhood, the noise from Route 44 is also bad when the wind is blowing toward the north. However, most of the time, we do not even notice the noise. Maybe the people living in Linden, MG, and MB feel the same way.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:25 AM
Sage
Default Turnpike noise level

I am not a Village resident...hopefully in a few years. I am here in The Villages for a visit. A few days ago I went to an open house for a home in Monarch Grove on Hickey Way. Hickey Way runs parallel/backs up to the turnpike. When I got out of the car, I could hear the traffic from the turnpike quite well. Inside the home with the A/C on, the noise was not bad. I went out into the lanai, which is in the rear of the home. I could see the tops of the semi trucks from the turnpike. The noise on the lanai from the turnpike was pretty bad.

I commented on the turnpike noise to the sales rep. from The Villages. She replied the homes on this street are priced accordingly because of the turnpike noise.

So if you don't plan on using your lanai, these houses could be a good deal. If I was seriously looking to buy now, the turnpike noise would be a deal breaker for me as I love sitting on the lanai in the morning and evening.

if you are considering a home close to the turnpike, I would go to an open house for a home close to the turnpike to judge for yourself. Stand in the yard for a few minutes, or sit in your car with the windows rolled down when you are parked next to the house.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 09-19-2019 at 01:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-19-2019, 02:32 AM
Sage

Would you buy a house that was close to train tracks, an airport--I don't think so--the noise on the tpk is constant--it will get into your head--
Old 09-19-2019, 03:05 AM

We moved into Carla Villas in McClure about 2 weeks ago. One of the contributing factors in picking here instead of Taylor Villas was the Turnpike is so much closer there. We did not hear the turnpike inside the house at Taylor Villa, but could hear it outside in the yard. At Carla Villa in McClure We have not heard the Turnpike outside - yet. We can still hear construction, but that will be o ver soon. Inside the house there is no noise except the frequent neighbors yards being mowed. I will be glad when the yard maintenance people all convert to electric!
Old 09-19-2019, 05:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

Having grown up on Air Force bases and listening to jet fighters take off at all hours and then living near train tracks a substantial part of my adult life it’s hard for me to objectively consider the turnpike noise level either loud or noticeable. My mental filters kick in quickly with background noise to allow me to ignore it. That’s why I asked the question in the video.

I’ve sat on the lanai at night in the summer and heard the trains roll through in Wildwood and found the sound almost comforting. Hearing a low flying plane going overhead is an intoxicating sound to my strangely formed mind. I guess I’ve a few wires crossed.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 09-19-2019, 05:26 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Having grown up on Air Force bases and listening to jet fighters take off at all hours and then living near train tracks a substantial part of my adult life it’s hard for me to objectively consider the turnpike noise level either loud or noticeable. My mental filters kick in quickly with background noise to allow me to ignore it. That’s why I asked the question in the video.

I’ve sat on the lanai at night in the summer and heard the trains roll through in Wildwood and found the sound almost comforting. Hearing a low flying plane going overhead is an intoxicating sound to my strangely formed mind. I guess I’ve a few wires crossed.
We are in Lynnhaven and can hear the train's whistle/horn when it is passing though. It is about 1 mile away. I love the sound and don't find it distracting. Now that we are here close to 3 years, I have become used to/unaware of it and sometimes even miss it. But it is not a constant noise like highway traffic -- only occasionally. I think some people are more sensitive to any noise than others and feel that a lot of the advice given in prior posts to be good.

Now about the gas cutting -- both ours and the neighbors -- I find that very distracting when sitting on the lanai but fortunately it is no more than 1-2 times per week and only lasts a couple of hours.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

I find traffic drone noise to be very fatiguing and irritating. Hubby feels as I do. We would not ever consider living near a major roadway with constant traffic noise created from high speed vehicular traffic. There is no deal on this planet that would entice me to live near the Turnpike.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:09 AM

I don't post much but wanted to weigh in on this because we were looking at homes in Monarch Grove about 2 weeks ago. To be honest, the 1st time we went to look at the houses I didn't immediately notice the turnpike noise, most likely because we were inside the house most of the time. However, when we went back with the sole intention of gauging the turnpike noise you can definitely hear it if you're listening for it. We were looking at a house that was very close to the Swallowtail pool so I was surprised I could still hear the noise with so many rows of houses between the house we were looking at and the turnpike. It's a really nice area and you definitely don't hear the turnpike noise when you're in your house, but, if you love sitting in your lanai the noise might get old. NOTE: Our realtor said (or maybe my wife, can't remember) that as the foliage matures in the area the noise should be reduced.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
We are in Lynnhaven and can hear the train's whistle/horn when it is passing though. It is about 1 mile away. I love the sound and don't find it distracting. Now that we are here close to 3 years, I have become used to/unaware of it and sometimes even miss it. But it is not a constant noise like highway traffic -- only occasionally. I think some people are more sensitive to any noise than others and feel that a lot of the advice given in prior posts to be good.

Now about the gas cutting -- both ours and the neighbors -- I find that very distracting when sitting on the lanai but fortunately it is no more than 1-2 times per week and only lasts a couple of hours.
My wife would be ecstatic if I cut the gas noise on the lanai, but I insist it's her cooking that causes it in the first place!!
Old 09-19-2019, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,597 Times in 5,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownBee View Post
I don't post much but wanted to weigh in on this because we were looking at homes in Monarch Grove about 2 weeks ago. To be honest, the 1st time we went to look at the houses I didn't immediately notice the turnpike noise, most likely because we were inside the house most of the time. However, when we went back with the sole intention of gauging the turnpike noise you can definitely hear it if you're listening for it. We were looking at a house that was very close to the Swallowtail pool so I was surprised I could still hear the noise with so many rows of houses between the house we were looking at and the turnpike. It's a really nice area and you definitely don't hear the turnpike noise when you're in your house, but, if you love sitting in your lanai the noise might get old. NOTE: Our realtor said (or maybe my wife, can't remember) that as the foliage matures in the area the noise should be reduced.
I just want to point out that foliage doesn't do much to reduce noise. Noise is air pressure, and the only thing that really helps to block it is a solid, dense wall, like the kind they construct up north to reduce highway noise for houses adjacent to the highway.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 09-19-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:52 AM

Grew up in a house one street away from railroad, in flightline of small airport and 1/4 mile from active fire station. Noise became a background comfort. Like having two rambunctious kids in the house and it suddenly goes quiet, you know there is a problem.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

How much is the reduction in the houses near The Pike? Is it Chicken Feed or Substantial? Remember there is a buyer for every Home!

I would be more concerned about what is in the trucks passing thru The Villages Zone, you know, the cargo!

Buyers Remorse is a terrible thing. If a buyer is OK with the noise then who has the right to question their decision? NoBody. No bashing intended by me. The beauty of

the entire area overcomes the slight risk. I'd put my $$$Money$$$ down over there in a heartbeat!
Old 09-19-2019, 07:59 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

I like peace and quiet so would not live in any of those areas including parts of Marsh Bend. However, there are many people that highway noise does not bother and for those, there are some excellent homes at what I would call bargain prices. I would bet that they all get sold, a lot of them already have been sold.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
How much is the reduction in the houses near The Pike? Is it Chicken Feed or Substantial? Remember there is a buyer for every Home!

I would be more concerned about what is in the trucks passing thru The Villages Zone, you know, the cargo!

Buyers Remorse is a terrible thing. If a buyer is OK with the noise then who has the right to question their decision? NoBody. No bashing intended by me. The beauty of

the entire area overcomes the slight risk. I'd put my $$$Money$$$ down over there in a heartbeat!
That's it in a nutshell...………………..

Tags
turnpike, noise, great, input, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.