Noise from turnpike

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2019, 08:37 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownBee View Post
I don't post much but wanted to weigh in on this because we were looking at homes in Monarch Grove about 2 weeks ago. To be honest, the 1st time we went to look at the houses I didn't immediately notice the turnpike noise, most likely because we were inside the house most of the time. However, when we went back with the sole intention of gauging the turnpike noise you can definitely hear it if you're listening for it. We were looking at a house that was very close to the Swallowtail pool so I was surprised I could still hear the noise with so many rows of houses between the house we were looking at and the turnpike. It's a really nice area and you definitely don't hear the turnpike noise when you're in your house, but, if you love sitting in your lanai the noise might get old. NOTE: Our realtor said (or maybe my wife, can't remember) that as the foliage matures in the area the noise should be reduced.
Most Villagers have guests from time to time. I wouldn’t want to spend $$$$$$ for a real nice home and my guests be upset for the few days we were trying to visit. On the other hand, guest might be more inclined to leave after a couple of nights and that could suit others on this forum. Maybe joking.

Just saying it comes down to personal choice of whether to save a few dollars on the initial purchase and lose an equal amount if and when you should sell.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Some years back I went home to the family farm for a visit. As I laid in bed the first night something felt different, took a while to figure out what it was. There was no noise. The farm is miles out of the nearest town, there are no airplane routes overhead and the farm house is quite a distance off the road which has next to no traffic. When I returned home I really noticed the noise in our neighborhood but after a short time it was like before, I didn't even hear it.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
We moved into Carla Villas in McClure about 2 weeks ago. One of the contributing factors in picking here instead of Taylor Villas was the Turnpike is so much closer there. We did not hear the turnpike inside the house at Taylor Villa, but could hear it outside in the yard. At Carla Villa in McClure We have not heard the Turnpike outside - yet. We can still hear construction, but that will be o ver soon. Inside the house there is no noise except the frequent neighbors yards being mowed. I will be glad when the yard maintenance people all convert to electric!
Yard maintenance + electric? Good luck, they will remove the baffles in the muffler’s gas equipment before that happens. The blowers with the muffler baffles removed are like no mufflers at all. I afraid it get worse before better?
Old 09-19-2019, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Whenever I attend an open house and they have music playing, I ask the agent to please turn it off. I think they sometimes use music to mask traffic or other noise issues with the house.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I find traffic drone noise to be very fatiguing and irritating. Hubby feels as I do. We would not ever consider living near a major roadway with constant traffic noise created from high speed vehicular traffic. There is no deal on this planet that would entice me to live near the Turnpike.
Amen.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:35 AM
Veteran member

We lived the majority of our lives in Baltimore and had a home on a main thoroughfare. We were on a service road and were off the main road by maybe 200 feet. The road was a 24/7 active street. When we moved to a country atmosphere we had a hard time sleeping as it was too dark and too quiet. We really got used to the noise and the life that the city offered. We may be strange, or not the norm, but we would not have a problem being near more activity and life sounds.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I find traffic drone noise to be very fatiguing and irritating. Hubby feels as I do. We would not ever consider living near a major roadway with constant traffic noise created from high speed vehicular traffic. There is no deal on this planet that would entice me to live near the Turnpike.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
My wife would be ecstatic if I cut the gas noise on the lanai, but I insist it's her cooking that causes it in the first place!!
LOL - I didn't notice -- of all the typos one could make. HaHa -- it's so funny that I'm not even going to go back to correct it.

Thanks for pointing it out though. A good laugh for my day.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:51 PM

OP, since you didn't ask whether or not we would buy in that area or if/how traffic noise bothers us, personally, I'll just try to respond to your actual question. As others have said, similarly to living near pickleball courts or neighborhood pools, you really don't hear the noise when you are inside the homes, especially the block and stucco models. They did a nice job of placing an elevated berm between the homes and the turnpike and it does do a good job of cutting down on the noise, but it does not eliminate it. When you are outside the homes, you will hear the traffic noise. Fortunately, it's not an area where there would be a lot of horn honking or trucks "jake-braking" but it is a constant flow of vehicles wooshing buy at 70+ mph. I could see it being something that some might accept and get used to, but that doesn't mean you can't hear it.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:31 PM

Marsh Bend being west of the roadway brings me hope that the wind generally blows west to east, helping to alleviate the sound somewhat. In PA, we live west of rt. 222 4 or so blocks, and the sound level is usually dull background, but when the wind shifts, it's noticeable for a minute or two, then it blends in. I do believe we got more house for the money by it being closer to the turnpike.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

We back up to Odell Circle. It’s a busy street with golf carts. From 7a to 6 p the noise from the car s never consistent but, the UPS FEDEx trucks are annoying. We are usually gone during that time. We do not have our lanai enclosed. After 6 it’s peaceful, no kissing lanai, birds chirping from the pond across the street, and a great view.

We went to MB with a lunch and sat for better than an hour listening to the drone of traffic. We noticed the sound, but was not annoying. Difference is the sound is 24/7, compared to our home.
We love our home, but want to now put in a pool. South maybe where we go. I didn’t find the home prices that much difference from homes farther away.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I don't understand why those who do not live near or plan to live there, come on here and give their opinion that they could never stand the noise. How does that answer OP's question. Seems to be just another way for some to continue there bashing of the new areas of construction.
I wasn't going to respond, but I will say that people who have lived next to noisy streets or freeways have the right to respond (and I did)--but I agree that those never having done that are not answering the OP with anything helpful.

I grew up living probably 600 yards from the Parkway East in Pittsburgh, with Union Switch & Signal a mile away down the parkway (they made railroad switches). Union Switch & Signal would make a shuddering sound a few times a night. Trucks would occasionally downshift. My bedroom was closest to the noise. I loved it. I'm loving just remembering it now. It was comforting to hear that muffled shudder if I was awake in the middle of the night. The noise was never a problem, and at night there was little traffic.

In TV we back up to St. Charles, but with a wall. The traffic noise doesn't bother me, and it's generally in the morning and at dinner time. I prefer the privacy of the wall and the fact that there is no other house behind us to not having a busy street on the other side. I love to look up and see blue sky rather than roofs.

I agree with the person who suggested sitting outside a house by the freeway to hear it all. But you may just get used to it.

That's my take.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Having grown up on Air Force bases and listening to jet fighters take off at all hours and then living near train tracks a substantial part of my adult life it’s hard for me to objectively consider the turnpike noise level either loud or noticeable. My mental filters kick in quickly with background noise to allow me to ignore it. That’s why I asked the question in the video.

I’ve sat on the lanai at night in the summer and heard the trains roll through in Wildwood and found the sound almost comforting. Hearing a low flying plane going overhead is an intoxicating sound to my strangely formed mind. I guess I’ve a few wires crossed.
I too like to hear the trains but after living here for almost 10 years I don't even hear them unless there is a strong westerly wind. Your brain filters out these sounds that are everyday.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:07 PM

Our old home was near an interstate and quite frankly you really begin to tune it out in short order. The noise is mostly a continuous drone and better than living on a corner near a 4-way intersection where trucks start and stop. That said, I probably wouldn't intentionally buy right near the interstate as we enjoy sitting outside and watching TV and movies in our lanai.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Adding a white noise source like a waterfall/water feature or even a speaker playing water/surf sounds can help mask noise if sensitive.

I noticed highway traffic noise north of the Turnpike staying at the Alden villas near Brownwood during my Lifestyles visit.
Closed Thread

Tags
turnpike, noise, great, input, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.