Noise from turnpike

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2019, 02:02 AM

Having just purchased a home that is 8 houses down the street from the turnpike going by, let me give you my impression from the past 2 weeks here...

In the house you do not notice the sounds at all

Outside the house in the yard or sitting on the Lanai, you hear the wind from the vehicles going by more so than the engines or exhaust noises...

You get used to it and don’t really notice it. I believe some low music playing or the eventual noises as the neighborhood fills up will help drown out most of the background road noise

Again our house does not directly back up to the berm but we are on a perpendicular street from the berm and only about 8 houses away

I did come and sit in the Lanai for a half an hour before we signed the papers. It was a Monday morning at 8 am and the slight noise was not a deal breaker for us, so here we are...

Love and respect,

Spoiler
Old 09-20-2019, 03:42 AM

Enjoyed GWN flyovers the past year so much that we bought a remaining Linden Lot last month (easily spotted and stilled, easy decision-thanks GWN) before we had a chance to get here this week finally (from Texas). Wife and I are avid runners/walkers so already scouted Monarch Grove and the noise is unnoticeable to us. So excited to get here next year after we retire. Amazing that we have to wait until maybe January to design & begin building, oh well.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
My wife would be ecstatic if I cut the gas noise on the lanai, but I insist it's her cooking that causes it in the first place!!
That is funny. The smell probably is not all that pleasant either.

We live in Lynnhaven and have been here since June 2005 and have gotten used to the train sounds.

The turnpike though would be another matter and would not be all that attractive for a place to call home.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

What about the prison lights Pa system or the dust and noise and blasting from the nearby mine ?
Old 09-20-2019, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We live in Osceola Hills but we often go to Linden, Monarch Grove, and Marsh Bend to enjoy the beautiful walking trails. When the wind is blowing toward the southwest, the noise from the turnpike is pretty bad in all three areas..

In our neighborhood, the noise from Route 44 is also bad when the wind is blowing toward the north. However, most of the time, we do not even notice the noise. Maybe the people living in Linden, MG, and MB feel the same way.

Come to Spanish Springs, no noise.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

I'm confused. The people that live there say the lights, PA, and mine are not issues at all. There is dust with all construction...... like say when they built St. James. Anyone remember the LARGE pile dirt where Sand Hill Golf Course is.

One other question..... why do some people hate the new area? I didn't say dislike - HATE!
Old 09-20-2019, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I don't understand why those who do not live near or plan to live there, come on here and give their opinion that they could never stand the noise. How does that answer OP's question. Seems to be just another way for some to continue there bashing of the new areas of construction.
This is a quote from the OP....." I have seen some great house prices along the streets that back up to the turnpike but wonder if it's worth the deal."

Every one of the posters claiming they would not want to live near constant traffic noise has answered the OP's concern. If a person would not want to live near traffic noise, the answer to the OP's concern is simply "NO, it is not a good deal." I guess you have to read between the lines to realize that. A person who finds constant drone of traffic noise to be offensive, they would not think a discount on a home is a good deal. You have to live with the consequences afterward and that discount doesn't mean a hill of beans.

I've seen it time and time again on HGTV many prospective home buyers walk away from a lovely home because of traffic noise. As they say in real estate........Location, location, location!
Old 09-20-2019, 10:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Some years back I went home to the family farm for a visit. As I laid in bed the first night something felt different, took a while to figure out what it was. There was no noise. The farm is miles out of the nearest town, there are no airplane routes overhead and the farm house is quite a distance off the road which has next to no traffic. When I returned home I really noticed the noise in our neighborhood but after a short time it was like before, I didn't even hear it.
We have had some very similar experiences.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:47 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
What about the prison lights Pa system or the dust and noise and blasting from the nearby mine ?
You evidently don't live here. I have been here nearly 2-1/2 years and have never heard the prison PA system nor have I seen their lights, there are a lot of acres of trees between here and there, there is no dust or noise from the mining, that is down on 470. When are you bashers going to realize that this area is hot and they are selling as fast as they can build, many of the buyers are moving down here from villages north of 44, nothing you say is going to slow it down or deter people from buying.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
This is a quote from the OP....." I have seen some great house prices along the streets that back up to the turnpike but wonder if it's worth the deal."

Every one of the posters claiming they would not want to live near constant traffic noise has answered the OP's concern. If a person would not want to live near traffic noise, the answer to the OP's concern is simply "NO, it is not a good deal." I guess you have to read between the lines to realize that. A person who finds constant drone of traffic noise to be offensive, they would not think a discount on a home is a good deal. You have to live with the consequences afterward and that discount doesn't mean a hill of beans.

I've seen it time and time again on HGTV many prospective home buyers walk away from a lovely home because of traffic noise. As they say in real estate........Location, location, location!
I agree. I cannot imagine that a person, who doesn't want to live with traffic noise all the time, would buy a house just because the price is discounted.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I'm confused. The people that live there say the lights, PA, and mine are not issues at all. There is dust with all construction...... like say when they built St. James. Anyone remember the LARGE pile dirt where Sand Hill Golf Course is.

One other question..... why do some people hate the new area? I didn't say dislike - HATE!
Pesonaly I love the new area..
Home Values Brownwood and North are going up
The Place to be
Old 09-20-2019, 03:05 PM

Would also say that we do not have feelings one way or the other about new areas. Our only negative is the inconvenience due to the distance away from everything. Our question is we keep hearing how beautiful it is, yet when we drive down it looks just like TV 3.0. Okay there are some picturesque areas when you drive into Finney but that can be said about each of the areas of TV. We just look at the neighborhoods and do not see what everyone is talking about. We hear "the walking trails" are great, come on it is just a walking trail, is that what makes it beautiful? Just questions we think about. Would like some comments from those that reside there, what makes it so much more beautiful than the rest of TV. No bashing here as we see positives an negatives of all parts of TV.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:30 PM
Veteran member

This might be off subject, however, is there a place to get gas for a golf cart in Fenney and surrounding villages?
Old 09-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Veteran member

We were driving home down 75 the other day and took a detour to see the new areas. We were driving down a lovely street and looked at the Nav map and were surprised to see we were right next to the turnpike. We turned off the radio and rolled down the windows and couldn’t hear traffic at all while sitting on the street in front of the houses there.

If you are interested in the area go hear it for yourself. You may find the berm really does dampen the noise enough.

As for the prison and quarries, they are still quite a bit away. And from the street, I think the prison has a huge barrier of empty land around any building or lights, so I’m not surprised people in Fenney aren’t bothered by it. It’s just so far away it’s not an issue.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
We hear "the walking trails" are great, come on it is just a walking trail, is that what makes it beautiful?
If you wondering what makes the 2.5 mile Hogeye Marsh trail absolutely beautiful, why not just walk it and get back to us with your opinion.

Last edited by VApeople; 09-20-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
turnpike, noise, great, input, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.