North Carolina

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default I believe there is a Carolina Club

which includes North and South Carolina, so now we have a place to meet and greet and talk BASKETBALL, Tarheel that is....giggle....
Old 08-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Smile Carolina Club

There is a Carolina Club that meets once a month, I think at Churchill rec center, check your rec news for details. It is a good club that has an eastern NC BBQ once a year.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Eternal Member

Love Roy Williams and them Heels!!!!!!!!!!

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Veteran member

My Aunt and Uncle lived in Gastonia. Loved visiting them. My Mom was born and raised in Cherryville.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Default coming from NC

We will be moving from NC to TV next summer (to Sanibel). Lived in NC all my life but can't wait to spend the rest of it in TV. Will miss the beaches and the NC Tarheels, but at least they're on tv.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:51 AM
Sage
Default Golf in NC

Played some wonderful golf courses in NC....Course we lived on in Morganton was Mimosa Hills (Donald Ross - was very busy in Carolinas)...Played Biltmore Forest, Asheville CC, Pinehurst #2, Pine Needles, Hickory CC, Champion Hills, the Cliffs, Grandfather Mountain to name a few....Any NC golfers out there?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Eternal Member

Drove up by the Cliffs several times. Never made it up the steep hill to the course. Hear there are some big name celebrities that have homes there, Tom Glavine and Dottie Pepper are two names I heard.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Default Go nc!

As a life long Tar Heel I a retiring next week from UNC- Chapel Hill, and we'll be moving to our home in Hadley - probably by October,

Now if ya'll want to start a NC club, I could bring my pig cooker so we can start NC BBQ appreciation , maybe our northern neighbors could agree to be the judges, anyone got their own sauce recipe?
of course you do realize the only bad NC BBQ is that BBQ you can not get upon your plate when you are hungry,

Whoo!, we get to be full time, no more 4 day weekends and a long drive to have fun!
I am giving up my Dean Dome seats to move,
Old 08-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Played some wonderful golf courses in NC....Course we lived on in Morganton was Mimosa Hills (Donald Ross - was very busy in Carolinas)...Played Biltmore Forest, Asheville CC, Pinehurst #2, Pine Needles, Hickory CC, Champion Hills, the Cliffs, Grandfather Mountain to name a few....Any NC golfers out there?
Have you ever stayed and played golf at The Grove Park Inn in Ashville. The company I worked for used to take us there once a year for planning meetings for the upcoming year. Beautiful Hotel and golf course.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Sage
Default Yes, we have and Grove Park is wonderful

Also a Donald Ross course, he was a busy man in NC....The Hotel is so charming with their GIANT fireplace and unique rooms with the bathtubs with claw feet.....Love Asheville an artsy town.... Ashville CC is real close to Grove Park and also a wonderful golf course....I was trying to remember the golf course off of I-40 that was a Par 6 on one of the holes....Do you remember the name of that course?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schotzyb View Post
Have you ever stayed and played golf at The Grove Park Inn in Ashville. The company I worked for used to take us there once a year for planning meetings for the upcoming year. Beautiful Hotel and golf course.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Also a Donald Ross course, he was a busy man in NC....The Hotel is so charming with their GIANT fireplace and unique rooms with the bathtubs with claw feet.....Love Asheville an artsy town.... Ashville CC is real close to Grove Park and also a wonderful golf course....I was trying to remember the golf course off of I-40 that was a Par 6 on one of the holes....Do you remember the name of that course?
I know of the course you are speaking of but I can't recall the name. There is a course in Cleveland County (in between Shelby and Kings Mountain) called Woodbridge Country Club. Use to be a very nice course with a superb layout but the owners neglected it and it was not very nice when I moved from there 3 years ago. But it did have a Par 5 on it that from the back T listed at 640+ yards. Was 90 degree dogleg left with your T shot needing to go ~225 yards to clear the dogleg. Then about 300 yards down the fairway was a big lake. It took 3 very good shots to reach this green and I was extremely happy with double bogie

Old 08-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Sage
Default I had no idea this thread would get so many responses

I thought all of you wonderful NC lovers stayed there....

Gatorfan: Since your Mom was raised in Cherryville, would she remember Ann Starnes, she lived in Morganton and was an avid golfer but was also raised in Cherryville..

Linwood: When we moved to NC (husband opened practice for 27 years in Morganton), we were told you couldn't live in state unless you were a Tar Heel fan, so we have been following them to this day. The guy that owns Oakwood BBQ here must be from Carolina, because they make some mighty fine BBQ...

Schotzyb: Played Woodbury CC, sorry to hear about condition, a nice course but very challenging, like you said...Didn't know Dottie P was a member of the Cliffs (I believe there are three Cliffs now, do you know which one?..I just remembered the name of the course with the Par 6, Black Mountain!...good, now maybe I can sleep...tee hee

Designdiva: Thanks for update on Carolina Club

Scott8147: Welcome to paradise, you will just love this place, and the beaches are just an hour away...I'm surprised we haven't heard from the Dukies, Deacons and the Wolfpack (I promise not to hold it against you)...A lot of great colleges in NC
Old 05-28-2012, 08:49 PM

We have lived in Wilson, N.C. , with future plan to live in TV. I can tell you about great places to eat. First, we have the BEST BBQ in the world. We Have a place called Parker's BBQ and
another one called Bill's BBQ. The other place to go especially if you are a steak lover, is a place called THE BEEFMASTER. By far,,,,absolutely the best steak you will eat. No menu, you get a rib-eye sized at the table, baked potatoe and salad to die for. I will put those three place against any place in the world. I own a retail shipping store and I ship lots of BBQ all over the USA, on a weekly basic, especially to Florida. If you want the best BBQ, call Parker's in Wilson, N.C. and they will give you my shipping store #.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:31 PM

I have only been in The Villages since May. I am from Statesville, NC and also had a small beach cottage in Carolina Beach, NC, which is 13 miles from Wilmington, NC. Statesville is only about an hours drive going up Interstate 40. I used to do some volunteer work at the Western Carolina Center in Morganton. I also have relatives that live in Morganton. Love NC but love Florida even more. I know I am not going to miss the winters!!!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:38 PM

We have just moved last week from Wilmington to TV. We loved the beach and city of Wilmington but are so happy to be here in TV. This is just such a great lifestyle. Don will miss the flounder fishing....and I'll miss the great dinners we had on his catch of the day!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.