A not so warm welcome/ need advice

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2014, 07:32 PM
Default A not so warm welcome/ need advice

We've all ready had a major run- in with our down the street neighbor.
My hubby was putting out the trash, when our dogs got loose. He had not pulled the door shut all the way.
Our youngest dog, a 100 lb golden retriever saw someone new and went running to say hi.
He NEVER EVER got close to her or touched her,
The neighbor called neighborhood watch, animal control and the cdc because we are still moving in and haven't moved the trailer.
I'm hearing from our direct next door neighbors that we are trouble makers and my dog actually bit her
If that had happened, he would be at animal control and she would have had to go to the ER.
I know the dogs should not have escaped, but he didn't give us a chance to apologize before he went ape crazy
I don't want to have enemies, but he has me so rattled that I'm afraid to step outside because I feel like he's spying on me
Old 04-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Oh dear! So sorry you have a neighbor like that! Perhaps you should take cookies and apoliziged, though you really don't owe one.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:45 PM

There are some of those folks in every neighborhood. They are usually the ones looking for something to complain about and never happy about anything, this is not the norm.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

Oh my I am sorry this happened to you. I agree with Perrjojo wait a few days and let the air clear and then go and apologize. If they don't accept your sincere apologies there's not much you can do. I'm sure you will find other neighbors that are easier to get along with. It will all work out, somehow.
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213

Why not just go over to his house and speak with him--or drop off a "Im sorry" card. Regardless if it was an accident or not- the dog got loose. He must have a reason for either being scared or bitter.
Make the first step to fix things- if he doesn't come around--just don't bother. There are a few like that everywhere--except in GILCHRIST 57 ....lol we love all of our neighbors.

Consider an Invisable Fence We have 2 labs and love our fence. Good luck hopefully this will pass. Most people we meet like dogs
Old 04-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseylou View Post
We've all ready had a major run- in with our down the street neighbor.
My hubby was putting out the trash, when our dogs got loose. He had not pulled the door shut all the way.
Our youngest dog, a 100 lb golden retriever saw someone new and went running to say hi.
He NEVER EVER got close to her or touched her,
The neighbor called neighborhood watch, animal control and the cdc because we are still moving in and haven't moved the trailer.
I'm hearing from our direct next door neighbors that we are trouble makers and my dog actually bit her
If that had happened, he would be at animal control and she would have had to go to the ER.
I know the dogs should not have escaped, but he didn't give us a chance to apologize before he went ape crazy
I don't want to have enemies, but he has me so rattled that I'm afraid to step outside because I feel like he's spying on me
Don't let it get to you. This is the kind of person who you would never normally choose as a friend anyway.

Also, you have according to the "rules" 3 days to move your trailer. That being said, no one has any enforcement powers to make you stick to that. The county does not care unless you block emergency vehicles.

Just curious, are you moving into one of the older neighborhoods?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Platinum member

I would take the dogs for a lot of neighborhood walks, let the neighborhood see that they are not some free running renegades. Who knows, you might even meet some semi-normal people. Be sure to display your poop bag-LOL.

I wouldn't apologize or offer an explanation. It happens, it's happened to most of us at one time or another.

YOU BE YOU.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:54 PM

You find all kinds here at TV. Some are dog lovers, some dog haters, some seem to hate everything or just like to complain, Some love everything and are floating on cloud nine. Hang in there, you will find the majority of folks here are very nice and happy to be living the lifestyle. I agree with the previous post, wait a few days for everything to cool down and have a friendly talk. Hopefully, they will come around and see it wasn't intentional, and find out what wonderful neighbors you will make. If it doesn't work out, just ignore them and live you life to the fullest!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I like Patty55's idea. Just show the neighborhood that your dogs are well-behaved. I wouldn't try apologizing either. You already did once, and they didn't accept it. Give the neighbor lots of space, and things may change later on. I'd give your direct next-door neighbor a wide berth too! They shouldn't have related the "troublemaker" accusation to you and make you feel even worse.

Dogs do get out every once in a while. We've had two wander into our backyard and were able to reunite them with their owners. A year or so ago our golden also got out the same way yours did, ran three yards down and into our neighbor's garage. Fortunately, she loves dogs. It's pretty embarrassing when you go out of your way to ensure your dog's not causing a neighborhood problem, and then they slither under your radar.

Goldens just want to say Hi. Your neighbor over-reacted.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:28 PM

I agree with Patty55. Just take the dogs on lots of walks so your curmudgeonly neighbors can observe that neither you nor your dogs are a threat to the neighborhood. You are allowed to have dogs and are just now moving in, so you deserve some consideration during this chaotic time. You don't owe your neighbors an explanation. The explanation is obvious, you're not yet settled in. I recommend that you not react to your neighbors' orneriness. Just keep being good neighbors yourselves. There is nothing anyone can do to fix miserable nasty people. If you let them get to you, those type of people will look for ways to turn every situation into a fight. If you steadfastly refuse to react, they have no one to fight with.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:41 PM

Don't wait until you get totally settled in to have a party. Your neighbors won't expect your house to be perfect. Go door to door and invite the neighbors to come for a short 2 hour party mid afternoon snack/drink party or an evening dessert party. Maybe serve something from your home state. We purchased a property last summer and did this, Everyone but the single guy came. You will find friendly people.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdarcy View Post
I agree with Patty55. Just take the dogs on lots of walks so your curmudgeonly neighbors can observe that neither you nor your dogs are a threat to the neighborhood. You are allowed to have dogs and are just now moving in, so you deserve some consideration during this chaotic time. You don't owe your neighbors an explanation. The explanation is obvious, you're not yet settled in. I recommend that you not react to your neighbors' orneriness. Just keep being good neighbors yourselves. There is nothing anyone can do to fix miserable nasty people. If you let them get to you, those type of people will look for ways to turn every situation into a fight. If you steadfastly refuse to react, they have no one to fight with.
I like this and Patt55's advice. It sounds like that neighbor was just waiting for something to pounce on, to show her "authority" around the 'hood.

Don't acknowledge they got to you and have you distressed. Don't acknowledge their game, much less play into it.

Just be yourself and be the adult in the situation. But don't give them any ammunition, either.

And show your poop bag in hand so the grouch doesn't call Community Watch complaining of "Intent to not pick up poop".

Those grouches are few in number here.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:54 PM

I've been a dog owner and I loved my dogs. They were gentle and lovable dogs that would never hurt anyone.

I've always been careful of dogs but was under the false impression that if you respected their space they wouldn't bother you. That is not true. I was bitten by a dog that worked it's way around several people to get to me and bite my leg. Another time while walking in our neighborhood (not in TV) a dog ran out of it's yard and would have attached me if the owner hadn't rushed to my rescue. Needless to say I do not think of dogs the way I used to.

Perhaps your neighbor has had similar or worse experiences that would explain the initial reaction. If that's the case, hopefully time will let your neighbor know you're a responsible dog owner and your dogs are not to be feared.

Best of luck to both you and your neighbor. I hope it works itself out.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:04 PM
Platinum member

Just ignore him or really get his goat and say hello any time you can. You've apologized over the incident. Do not continue to apologize or he wins. If all else fails just flip him off.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.