A not so warm welcome/ need advice

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 PM

Sorry your welcome was not good. Maybe the neighbor was just having a bad day. Maybe a good night's sleep will help with the situation. I am just a wannabe TVer and we have our preview next week. I am hoping I will met the friendly people and not the not so nice ones. I hope tomorrow will be a better day for you. Moving is stressful even if everything goes smoothly. Smile and just think your new lifestyle is a reality and enjoy being there.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseylou View Post
We've all ready had a major run- in with our down the street neighbor.
My hubby was putting out the trash, when our dogs got loose. He had not pulled the door shut all the way.
Our youngest dog, a 100 lb golden retriever saw someone new and went running to say hi.
He NEVER EVER got close to her or touched her,
The neighbor called neighborhood watch, animal control and the cdc because we are still moving in and haven't moved the trailer.
I'm hearing from our direct next door neighbors that we are trouble makers and my dog actually bit her
If that had happened, he would be at animal control and she would have had to go to the ER.
I know the dogs should not have escaped, but he didn't give us a chance to apologize before he went ape crazy
I don't want to have enemies, but he has me so rattled that I'm afraid to step outside because I feel like he's spying on me
Oh Deseylou, don't worry, things will get better.
We have an adorable 70 lb dog, but I realize that a lot of people are afraid of her.
I'm sorry to hear that you had such an unfortunate introduction to your new neighborhood.
Sometimes dogs and cats escape out the front door, it happens.
However if someone is afraid of dogs, I can see where being approached by an unleashed 100 lb dog would be unsettling.
I would definitely knock on his door and apologize.
If the apology is not gracefully accepted, then he is someone you wouldn't want for a friend.
Things will settle down, don't worry, there are many people who love dogs.
Walking your dogs around the neighborhood is a good idea, but please, stay off lawns.
Also, you may want to take your dogs to the private dog park on CR 101. You will meet lots of friendly dog lovers there.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:16 PM

Friends of mine had to install an invisible fence because their young dog was going across the street and bringing the neighbors dogs toys home to his own yard. "Finders keepers"! The fence solved that problem and now the pup lines the curb with his own tennis balls and stares at anyone who goes by in hopes that someone will throw them, which of course we do. Trained the dog and the neighbors. Sometimes the neighbors bring the dog treats too. Who says you can't teach us old dogs new tricks?
Old 05-01-2014, 01:23 AM
Veteran member

is this new neighborhood? or an established one? if new they will learn about this person, older? then u got some catty folks! just go about your business,, there are many many more nice people here than knuckleheads! however be forewarned knucklehead numbers are on the rise, so just be a good person an ignore them, and you will lending a hand in our crusade to stem the tide in the current rush of knuckleheads. BTW i am not a dog lover , but not a dog hater either. enjoy this is wonderful place!
Old 05-01-2014, 05:47 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wilmington Ohio, bought in Hadley Village January 2009, move when we can retire

Just show them you are a good person. Wave when you can. Not that we need a club for it, but most neighborhoods/Villages have a few people who cannot blend. You are not alone. Just as in life pay attention to the positives and wave, long distance, to the negatives.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:53 AM

If it was the cranky old oaf who was sitting at the bar in Applebys last week,I'm afraid there is no remedy... unless he moves out.

This guy b**ched and moaned to his (I assume) wife for 30 minutes about someone else's dog being on their property.

Fortunately they left about half way thru our meal....our fault for sitting next to them instead of the two guys with the enlarged ear lobes...
Old 05-01-2014, 05:59 AM
Sage

Understand that few of us have large enough properties for ease and that stress is unavoidable when the population per square mile goes high. It's a set up for aggression vs defense to come from humans.

Your neighbor has a right to private property. However innocently, your dog violated it. Neighbor snaps. Might be a last straw or perpetual battle to keep dogs off the property. Dog urine damages grass, I have learned, just for example why someone would snap, many owners regularly, deliberately, allow their dogs to go several yards into others' lawns. And here come new neighbors with BIG dogs...IN MY YARD ON DAY ONE WITHOUT EVEN A LEASH! I'm nipping this in the bud, by golly.

My view is that neighbor thinks you are just like those other people. Clearly, you are not. Suggest you take a token of peace (food, wine?) to neighbor, apologize for violating their space. Say you have no intention of allowing your dogs in their yard and ask forgiveness.

Couldn't hurt. It sounds like you would rather have peace than start off with an enemy.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

sometimes you just need to walk away..if others are told different stories than and believe than just sit tight..I would not try to smooth it over it. Let them be unhappy and just nasty away
Old 05-01-2014, 06:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
I would take the dogs for a lot of neighborhood walks, let the neighborhood see that they are not some free running renegades. Who knows, you might even meet some semi-normal people. Be sure to display your poop bag-LOL.

I wouldn't apologize or offer an explanation. It happens, it's happened to most of us at one time or another.

YOU BE YOU.
Really good advice from Patty55. Even among dog owners you may find one who is just looking for something to fight over for the least of reasons. Dogs being dogs mainly.

Just show you can be a very good neighbor to the other neighbors. Some people will complain if there is not enough shade on a wonderful Villages Spring sunny day.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholman66 View Post
There are some of those folks in every neighborhood. They are usually the ones looking for something to complain about and never happy about anything, this is not the norm.
Plus they go to restaurants and play golf
Old 05-01-2014, 08:02 AM
Default neighbor

don't waste your time some people are just plain STUPID.we found that out and the cookie's won't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Oh dear! So sorry you have a neighbor like that! Perhaps you should take cookies and apoliziged, though you really don't owe one.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Sage

Back in the day (60s) when dogs were allowed to run loose, our big poodle occasionally overstepped his bounds. He always went to the same house because their female had once been in heat. He was once even invited into the house! When he found no attractive scent he would lie in the ditch until we came to pick him up.
Mind you, I do not advocate dogs running loose and I would be upset if a big dog came running at me. But I would just follow Patty's advice and forget it.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 05-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Sage
Cool

I would just give them a big smile and a "Howdy Do, How are you?" whenever I see them. What's done is done, no reason to rehash the incident.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:25 AM
Sage

One thing that really has not been addressed is how long the trailer has been in the driveway. Naturally, when someone first moves in, a few extra days are allowable due to everything going on - but after about a week, it might look to some that the trailer is going to be a permanent fixture and rumblings could start.

Personally, I always go to a new neighbor's house within a couple of days of seeing them move in with a bottle of wine with one of my calling cards tied to the bottle and welcome them. I did this recently and the neighbor had a 12 week old puppy - who promptly bit my ankle. I had forgot how sharp puppy teeth are! We both laughed it off.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Gold member

Some people have a fear of dogs especially large dogs. May be they have gotten bit or attacked in the past. Other people look for things and people to complain about. I agree that you should at least confront your neighbor and apologize. At least you will know for sure where you stand with them.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.