A not so warm welcome/ need advice

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Sometimes it never hurts to apologize even if you don't OWE one. As Dr. Phil says, "Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?" We were welcome to our neighborhood in a similar fashion. Dog got loose and he told neighbors we were going to be a problem. Parked our truck in the street while moving in. Got a nasty gram on the windshield. Parked in the driveway of the vacant home next door while moving in. Got reported for an abandonded car. After about 2 weeks we became good friends. He is just a little weird and insecure so we tolerate his weirdness. As Patty55 said.. You just be you .. but you have to realize that he as just gotta be who he/she is too. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Platinum member

once my golden retriever got loose back at my old house and ran to my neighbor who picked up a trash can to defend himself! Jenny just wanted to meet him. That being said, I have met people who have been bit in the past who are terrified of any dog. I do, however, think they totally over-reacted. that being said, I agree with the apology....if they continue to be jerks about it, then as others said, you don't want them as friends anyway. By the way, it took years, but my neighbor became more friendly and was better when I got smaller dogs. Non-dog owners don't realize that despite our best intentions, our dogs can be quite quick getting out of the house despite our best efforts.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

I'm only guessing here but I can only imagine how dumbfounded you were when confronted by an immediate attack from a new neighbor. Almost as though he was just waiting for some infraction of the rules. I would have been hurt by his words and the next-door neighbors explanation too. Listening to your story, I know I would have probably dissolved into tears moving to a new community and being confronted by this hostility. Putting myself into your shoes, I think I would not apologize. I would be sure to walk my dog(s) on a leash with bag-in-hand. If you see any neighbor, I would be very friendly and say hello to everyone and act like nothing ever happened. Be your friendly self and don't lower yourself to their level. I think this will pass and you will become friends with those in your neighborhood who WANT to be friendly. Give it time, finish moving - empty the trailer and remember to have some fun everyday....not just work. Its a great place to live.....you will find that out....give it time and don't worry - you have enough on your plate.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 05-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
Friends of mine had to install an invisible fence because their young dog was going across the street and bringing the neighbors dogs toys home to his own yard. "Finders keepers"! The fence solved that problem and now the pup lines the curb with his own tennis balls and stares at anyone who goes by in hopes that someone will throw them, which of course we do. Trained the dog and the neighbors. Sometimes the neighbors bring the dog treats too. Who says you can't teach us old dogs new tricks?
That is such a cute story. But I think it is the dog teaching old people new tricks!
Old 05-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Sitting up boundaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseylou View Post
We've all ready had a major run- in with our down the street neighbor.
My hubby was putting out the trash, when our dogs got loose. He had not pulled the door shut all the way.
Our youngest dog, a 100 lb golden retriever saw someone new and went running to say hi.
He NEVER EVER got close to her or touched her,
The neighbor called neighborhood watch, animal control and the cdc because we are still moving in and haven't moved the trailer.
I'm hearing from our direct next door neighbors that we are trouble makers and my dog actually bit her
If that had happened, he would be at animal control and she would have had to go to the ER.
I know the dogs should not have escaped, but he didn't give us a chance to apologize before he went ape crazy
I don't want to have enemies, but he has me so rattled that I'm afraid to step outside because I feel like he's spying on me
OP, a strange 100 pound dog coming at you would scare a lot of people. I'm sure the neighbor was frighten. He has immediately setup his boundaries and space with the Newbees on the block. Although some disagree, definitely an apology is in order. What happens next is up to your neighbor. Walls and boundaries can come down with the right approach.

Welcome to TV where some like dogs and some don't like dogs. There are many Threads on the subject. I would hit the search link and read some of them to make myself somewhat aware of what has been written regarding dogs in TV.

I'm sure everything will settle in time. Moving is a stressful time. Take some time off and enjoy some of the "better things" going on in TV.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

It looks like the opinion is 50/50 about apologizing. I based my opinion on the assumption that you already apologized when the incident occurred, and the neighbor didn't accept it. In which case I still think you've done enough and can just be as friendly as possible from here on out, keeping your dogs on leashes and NOT letting them stray onto anyone's lawn while walking them.

That's a big-ticket item here. Have your dogs do their business on your lawn before taking them out for walks, especially since it seems like you have landed in one of those neighborhoods whose property owners are touchy about that.

I hope things will settle down from here on out.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Platinum member

What about the trailer issue? This is not just about the dog. How about having already called animal control? How about lying and saying she was bit?

If it were my dog I'd say chances are we wouldn't end up being friends. That ship has sailed.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Veteran member

I agree with CFrance that things are about 50/50 as she said with what to do. The good news here is that there seems to be no right or wrong answer so it leaves you to do what is in your heart and do what you feel comfortable doing. If you feel like you need to apologize again, great; if not, then continue on and act like nothing happened while being the best doggy neighbor you can be and take it from there. Either way you are on your way to a great new life and things have a way of working out. I had no idea that Dr. Phil knew my mother because she also used to say, "Do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy?" Two very smart people I guess. I am sure it will all blow over and you will settle into your new neighborhood and new house and things have a way of looking better in time. I am sorry, though, that your arrival had to be tainted by this whole episode and I am hoping you can put it behind you soon and things are already getting better. Welcome to TV.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:50 AM
Gold member

Bottom line is your dog got loose.
Everyone is apologetic after the fact but it could be too late. Our neighbors dog would get loose and they told us he would go after our smaller dogs if we were out walking them. They were always apologetic.
It did not affect our relationship but it is up to the dog owner to control.
Bake some cookies and apologize.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Platinum member

I am so sorry! I wish I could fix this for you! What a distressing way to be greeted in your new home. I can only say I hope things settle down soon. Sounds like there might have been problems before you got there.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 05-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Sage

I just re-read the original post. It is stated that the 100 pound dog ran up to a passing neighbor. Can we assume barking? The neighbor obviously is unnerved by a big, strange dog running and barking at him. I know I would be! The OP states categorically that the dog did not actually come close to the man.

He then says that man called Animal Control, Community Watch, and the CDD regarding the unleashed dog and a trailer in the driveway. Did the neighbor and the OP have a shouting match to precipitate those calls after the OP got his dog under control? The OP does not say if all 3 entities responded to those calls and, if so, how those encounters went. That is all important information.

Sounds as if tempers on both sides might have flared under the heat of the moment.

Definitely, a peace offering on the part of the OP is warranted (sincere or not) and good neighbors restored.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Once a "rear orifice" always a "rear orifice". The neighbors attitude has little or nothing to do with a big dog. Apology if it makes the apologist feel better, but it won't change the dynamic.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Default New or Preowned

OP has not yet replied. My guess. Preowned
Old 05-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It looks like the opinion is 50/50 about apologizing. I based my opinion on the assumption that you already apologized when the incident occurred, and the neighbor didn't accept it. In which case I still think you've done enough and can just be as friendly as possible from here on out, keeping your dogs on leashes and NOT letting them stray onto anyone's lawn while walking them.

That's a big-ticket item here. Have your dogs do their business on your lawn before taking them out for walks, especially since it seems like you have landed in one of those neighborhoods whose property owners are touchy about that.

I hope things will settle down from here on out.
CF, The OP didn't say he apologized. He said the neighbor called authorities before he had a chance to apologize. You can read that either way, I took it to mean all hell broke loose and the OP holed up in the house afraid of what might happen. It's really not a scary place to live, but I'm sure it seemed like it.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:03 PM

OP HERE
The dog did not get too near the neighbors wife
He stopped a driveway before
We tried to apologize, but neighbor was screaming and cursing at us
The trailer issue has been taken care of.
We're both working FT and trying to move
I admit the trailer was pushed to the back burner
And we honestly didn't realize it was a problem
Thanks for all your kind words
I have been a wreck and not sleeping since this all happened
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.