Not sure what to think ?

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Default Not sure what to think ?

Took the dog out last night around 9:30 saw a older full size Chevrolet pick up stopped in front of the house. There was someone in drivers seat, heard him say something to someone about me walking out when I look up another person ( man ) was going thru the people across the street garbage bag when he saw me he jumped on the hood of the truck and they drove off with him on the hood of the truck. Thinking this not normal I watched as they drove to the end of the street and turned right. I went in the house got my car keys and my wife and I took a ride to see if they had left the sub or not. I drove to next street and there they were doing the same thing going thru peoples garbage bags. not having my phone with me we drove to the next village over where there are gate houses, I told the person working there what I had saw he said he would call it in to the watch people. driving back home stop by the pool area to see if these guys were going to leave or what, watch patrol turned down street talk to them and left. the guys pulled out of street they were on went to next street and started doing same thing. My Wife told me forget about it just go home on way back to house another watch patrol truck was going the other way I flag him down ask about these guys he told me his boss had taken care of it and kicked them out I told him they went to the next street and were doing it again it acted shocked and said he would radio his boss. I never listen to my wife ( lol ) so I drove around till the boss came again these guys were opening up and going thru peoples garbage bags in front of him he did nothing but talk to them and drive away leaving them there to keep doing it. Now I just went home. I thought it was against the law to open up peoples garbage and go thru it don't the police have to get a search warrant to do it ? We live in Tall Trees and this just seemed odd to me what do you think they could have been looking for personal info on people.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:19 AM

Why didn't you call the police? They certainly had enough time to get there and catch them.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Platinum member

Did anyone ever hear of identity theft. Call the police !!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp000 View Post
Why didn't you call the police? They certainly had enough time to get there and catch them.
Again I did not have my phone with me and when I went to the gate house and talk to the guy I ask him should we call the police he said no that he would radio it to the watch guys.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
Did anyone ever hear of identity theft. Call the police !!!!
This is what I was thinking they were looking for why did our watch program talk to then not once but twice in a 10 min. period and leave both times leaving them there to do what they were doing makes me feel save I know what not to do next time.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,393 Posts

Street shopping is not illegal.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Platinum member

This is another good reason to own a schredder and schred your documents that have personal information on them. Schred them, and mix them up in the garbage.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Nothing wrong with people taking usable items from trash.

I know of folks coming by and picking up usable items discarded in the trash but have not witnessed or heard about people opening trash bags and going through them. I would have called the police. That is a bit disquieting. We shred. Everyone should.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:57 AM

This is scary...
If I see something on Thursday night accidently, (yes, someone was throwing away a bookcase I could use in the garage..), I always go to the door to ask if it is ok to take it!
(I also asked a neighbor for a newer looking printer stand)..
But driving up and down streets is disturbing!
Thanks for posting this information!
Karron
Old 10-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Default Old trooper

It's not a violation of law to go through one trash once it's been placed on the curb to be picked up. It's public property once that it's been placed on the curb and no search warrent is needed. This is why you should shred anything with your name on it. They were probably trying to steal someone's identity
Old 10-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Gold member

Because of my burning need to see the best in people, I am going to presume they were undercover anthropologists engaged in a demographics study designed to ultimately benefit seniors. However, it is possible they were fishing for prescription bottles with a view to stealing some good stuff later on.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:21 PM

Definitely not illegal. I've had to do it quite often on the job. One can learn a lot about a person by sifting thru their trash!
Old 10-18-2013, 12:29 PM

Classic identity theft. I'm sure you get blank checks from your credit card companies which you can use to transfer a balance to them. Thieves love to get their hands on these, write a check to themselves or others and forge your name to the check. It's quick and easy money for them. You can eventually recover the money as a result of the forgery, but the pain and suffering you go through to do it will cause you buy a shredder and never throw mail in the trash again.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Sage

Sometimes I long for the old days when we could burn our trash.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 10-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Veteran member

Don't know why so many are apt to immediately think the worst; ie. identity theft, prescription bottles, etc.

I don't blame the OP for investigating, but they were most likely collecting aluminum cans.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.