To be or not to be-TV Antennas installed outside

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2015, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9930 View Post
While the neighbors may not like the fact you installed an outdoor TV antenna they will not have any other recourse but to live with it and to ban you from the neighborhood parties. But here is something to remember, we live in a huricain zone. If you decide to take this route please have it professionally installed taking into account the fact that the big wind will be here someday. Never know they may dislike the fact that you are putting up an antenna so bad they just might pay for your cable or satellite dish.. ��

What do they do in Stonecrest, Steve?
Old 03-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
There are lots of federal laws that preempt state and local laws and, as in this case, Home Owner's Association rules.

To simplify the issue, it is permitted to install an external antenna in order to receive over-the-air commercial television broadcasts. There are some restrictions and limitations on size for reception dishes, and other minor compromises on aesthetics.

The more cogent question is why would you want to do this? Since television signals are now digital and since The Villages is a considerable distance from over-the-air stations, the likelihood of success is low. Further, at most you might receive three major stations.

If you can't afford basic cable, listen to the radio and read the newspaper for news. Go to the town squares for entertainment. Read a good book. Visit with friends and neighbors.

This antenna thing is a non-issue.
since the HOA has no teeth and makes no rules here how is it a HOA issue?
Old 03-27-2015, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
since the HOA has no teeth and makes no rules here how is it a HOA issue?

I am guessing he MEANT Deed Restrictions. AND we will never hear from the OP again. One post and nada.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
What do they do in Stonecrest, Steve?
There are a few houses that have TV antennas. A couple that actually have a tower in the back yard.

Today there are some high tech TV antennas that are not much larger then a satellite dish. I personally have not tryed one of these but I have talked with some people that have and they indicated they work very well.

Here are few things people may not know. Your cable company gets charged by the TV station for putting that free signal on the cable.

Cable companies are now allowed to scramble all their signals on the cable. In the near future just hooking up your TV to the cable will be a thing of the past. You will need a cable box even for the most basic cable services. Which means more revenue for the cable companies.

If you decide to use an antenna to receive tv, channel 2 is on the VHF band not the UHF band. You will also know when there is bad weather in the Orlando and Daytona areas because you will get lots of pixalation on the screen. Digital although gives you a nice picture has its draw backs. Just like any good idea there is also a negative side.

I have my antennas in my attic. I get NBC, CBS, and FOX shooting to the South East. I pick up ABC shooting towards Ocala. Its amazing as sometimes Tampa actually comes in quite strong.

There are also lots of new independed channels that ride the digital signals from these main networks. Since the signal can have many subchannels like 2.1, 2.2, 2.3...etc etc. There are old movie channels and lots of new stuff. Some you see on the cable some you do not.

It is very interesting what is out there to watch, for free!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
There are a few houses that have TV antennas. A couple that actually have a tower in the back yard.

Today there are some high tech TV antennas that are not much larger then a satellite dish. I personally have not tryed one of these but I have talked with some people that have and they indicated they work very well.

Here are few things people may not know. Your cable company gets charged by the TV station for putting that free signal on the cable.

Cable companies are now allowed to scramble all their signals on the cable. In the near future just hooking up your TV to the cable will be a thing of the past. You will need a cable box even for the most basic cable services. Which means more revenue for the cable companies.

If you decide to use an antenna to receive tv, channel 2 is on the VHF band not the UHF band. You will also know when there is bad weather in the Orlando and Daytona areas because you will get lots of pixalation on the screen. Digital although gives you a nice picture has its draw backs. Just like any good idea there is also a negative side.

I have my antennas in my attic. I get NBC, CBS, and FOX shooting to the South East. I pick up ABC shooting towards Ocala. Its amazing as sometimes Tampa actually comes in quite strong.

There are also lots of new independed channels that ride the digital signals from these main networks. Since the signal can have many subchannels like 2.1, 2.2, 2.3...etc etc. There are old movie channels and lots of new stuff. Some you see on the cable some you do not.

It is very interesting what is out there to watch, for free!
I spent $110 on an antenna from Best Buy. It's also aimed Southeast. I do like the sub-channels as well............good old time movies. Coverage is not perfect, but I enjoy. (have not tried aiming towards Ocala.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I spent $110 on an antenna from Best Buy. It's also aimed Southeast. I do like the sub-channels as well............good old time movies. Coverage is not perfect, but I enjoy. (have not tried aiming towards Ocala.
The antenna I would like to try is an amplified antenna with a built in rotor. I believe it would fit in my attic. This the antenna I had spoken to an individual that had used one. They were very pleased with their performance. Its size is such that it is not any more intrusive looking then a satellite dish so I would not have a problem with mounting it outdoors. Prices range from $59 to $89 for the same antenna depending where you purchase it on the internet. I do a lot of business with solid signal.com.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:59 AM
Veteran member

As I had read it, the FCC rule was for Receive only satellite dishes only. It was put out when DirecTv, Dish, Primestar came out in mid '90's. And there was a caveat that the HOA could restrict where they could be put. Nice hear, small dish one LNB and on a post. Old House, 7 LNB and dish on top of high roof, to clear the woods.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:08 PM
Default Good point......

Quote:
I hope you enjoy institutional food.
I hear you Steve.....but I gotta think if they cant nail someone who cleared out a wholestand of protected trees, the chances ofhaving the capability to trackdown a low-power,mobile, hand-held jammer would be pretty darn slim! lol On a serious note, there are enough low or modest cost indoor antenna solutions out there that outdoor antennas becoming a prolific aesthetic issue shouldn't be a huge problem.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:09 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Indoor antennas may have problems @ the 65 mile range to SE Orlando

Call or txt anytime @ (352) 388-1677

Tom@VillagerAV.com
Old 03-27-2015, 12:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNJ View Post
I hear you Steve.....but I gotta think if they cant nail someone who cleared out a wholestand of protected trees, the chances ofhaving the capability to trackdown a low-power,mobile, hand-held jammer would be pretty darn slim! lol On a serious note, there are enough low or modest cost indoor antenna solutions out there that outdoor antennas becoming a prolific aesthetic issue shouldn't be a huge problem.
I like the way you think. Makes me believe this country still has a chance......☺
Old 03-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Veteran member

I need to correct something I indicated earlier. Amateur Radio Antennas are not protected devices. They can be restricted by the deed restrictions. Also the original legislation that covered receive only antennas was written for small satellite dishes. However in 2001 the legislation was revised to include OTAs (Over the Air) antennas for TV reception. Just like to keep the facts straight.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
I need to correct something I indicated earlier. Amateur Radio Antennas are not protected devices. They can be restricted by the deed restrictions. Also the original legislation that covered receive only antennas was written for small satellite dishes. However in 2001 the legislation was revised to include OTAs (Over the Air) antennas for TV reception. Just like to keep the facts straight.
Thanks for clarifying, but facts rarely show up on TofTV.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Steve: Something you might be able to clear up. Do networks still brodcast both SD and HD signals OTA? I thought there was a date where only HD would go OTA. And, in addition to an HDTV, don't you also need an HD "Receiver" to actually watch the HD broadcast coming via OTA antenna? A device that plays the role of a cable set top box? I always thought you needed more than just an HD OTA antenna to make this work. Thks.....
Old 03-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Send a message via ICQ to SoccerCoach

Place one in the attic. You'll get what comes out of Orlando, on sub channels, ie 6.1,9.1, 35.1 etc. Lots of Spanish stations too. Basic networks.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerCoach View Post
Place one in the attic. You'll get what comes out of Orlando, on sub channels, ie 6.1,9.1, 35.1 etc. Lots of Spanish stations too. Basic networks.
As has been pointed out several times ..... not all homes in TV have an attic ... or in the case of PV's very small, low ones over the garage.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.