To be or not to be-TV Antennas installed outside

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2015, 08:57 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=NavyNJ;1035847]Steve: Something you might be able to clear up. Do networks still brodcast both SD and HD signals OTA? I thought there was a date where only HD would go OTA. And, in addition to an HDTV, don't you also need an HD "Receiver" to actually watch the HD broadcast coming via OTA antenna? A device that plays the role of a cable set top box? I always thought you needed more than just an HD OTA antenna to make this work. Thks.....[/QUOTE

There are both SD and HD signals out there. Some of the stations will have SD on one channel like 2.1 and then HD on 2.2. You need a digital tuner to receive anything. All current TVs have a digital tuner. I'm not sure of the date when SD goes away. Those old TV antennas work just fine today as they did when they were used for the old analog transmissions. I always get a laugh when I see the antennas advertised as digital antennas. To recieve HD OTA you need an HD TV with a digital tuner and a good TV Antenna. All the TVs are ready to go, just add an antenna. Now if you have an older TV which is analog or HD ready then you need an outboard Digital Tuner. The Orlando stations are to the South East at about 115 degrees. WESH 2 is on VHF channel 11 and the transmitter is in Daytona. The others are all on the UHF channels. I have seen the following resolutions 480, 720, 1080. Just about everyone is transmitting HD today. I have an outboard digital tuner that is also a DVR. I hope I have not confused the subject. Its amazing what's out there. I've seen stations that have up to 8 subchannels. It always seems that the Spanish and religious channels come in the best. OTA is the only place where you can get true HD reception. Satellite Vendors and Cable compress the signal. You loose a little resolution when you compress those signals to save bandwith.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
As has been pointed out several times ..... not all homes in TV have an attic ... or in the case of PV's very small, low ones over the garage.
You can mount an Antenna outside in that case. You should still go through the procedure required by your HOA. Also give them the info in the request about the federal statues that superceed their Deed restrictions. You should have no problem with the HOA. Also they make an amplified antenna with an integral rotor that works well. It is no larger the a satellite dish.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran member

I did not find any information that gives a date for the termination of broadcasting a SD TV signal in the good old USA. There was some information about the Swiss terminating SD broadcast of satellite signals.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:20 AM
Send a message via AIM to rjcataniajr

I can see my article needs some clarification. Firstly, I wasn't aware that one needs to make a POINT is a requirement on this web site. Just sharing information and good old conversation are welcomed in a social network. And this is a social network. Secondly, there are many conversations about what is allowed in The Villages and what isn't. And this is one of those topics. I for one,am "Cutting The Cord" as of this weekend. No, I am not going to install the antenna outside. I just like to know that I have options in this type of environment. And yes,I was aware of all the deed restrictions before I moved here in 2004. In closing, thank you for your welcoming me to the forum. I have been on this forum since its inception but had to re-sign with new ownership for some technical reason.
Have a great day.
Will let everyone know how my new Cord Cutting Adventure goes as soon as I am up and running!
Old 04-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
There are lots of federal laws that preempt state and local laws and, as in this case, Home Owner's Association rules.

To simplify the issue, it is permitted to install an external antenna in order to receive over-the-air commercial television broadcasts. There are some restrictions and limitations on size for reception dishes, and other minor compromises on aesthetics.

The more cogent question is why would you want to do this? Since television signals are now digital and since The Villages is a considerable distance from over-the-air stations, the likelihood of success is low. Further, at most you might receive three major stations.

If you can't afford basic cable, listen to the radio and read the newspaper for news. Go to the town squares for entertainment. Read a good book. Visit with friends and neighbors.

This antenna thing is a non-issue.
actually over-the-air antennas these days are used more for digital broadcasts.
I personally hate the look of antennas (plus the lightening risk, even when grounded) and would opt for an attic installation, but before going in that direction I would use the hundreds of channels available on the internet.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:41 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9930 View Post
You can mount an Antenna outside in that case. You should still go through the procedure required by your HOA. Also give them the info in the request about the federal statues that superceed their Deed restrictions. You should have no problem with the HOA. Also they make an amplified antenna with an integral rotor that works well. It is no larger the a satellite dish.
HOA? they have no power here...it's not the membership optional HOA that runs ANYTHING here.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:01 AM
Veteran member

Folks if you have Comcast for your internet but no TV service the free to air channels are on the cable and Comcast can't charge for them due to they are free to air broadcast.
so use your TV scanner (obviously it has to be a Newer Digital TV tuner) and all the channels will be there.
Anything over 45 to 50 miles will not come in very well unless you have a huge antenna on the roof, a small omni directional antenna works fine and has a 50 mile range.
I live on Pinnellas and bunea vista and i got the channels from Orlando which is approximately 114 azimuth if i recall.
Good luck folks.
P.S. federal law preempts any state or HOA restriction and free to air is covered under it and the powers to be have NO JURISDICTIONS no matter what someone tells you.
I have been into the business 40 years and HOA try bullying people and have no authority to do so.
I welcome the HOA Police to tell me that i can't have a FTA antenna, let the lawsuits begin, Class action lawsuits usually puts a bully to rest.
Have a good day
Old 04-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
HOA? they have no power here...it's not the membership optional HOA that runs ANYTHING here.
In all the articles that treat this antenna business they suggest that if you have deed restrictions and a process for getting things done on your property that you use that process. With the proper documentation submitted you will not be denied your request and it keeps all those involved informed and happy. Then you can also choose to go about it the bone headed way also if you like conflict in your life. Just go ahead and put an antenna up and get the neighbors angry, never get invited to another party, and be isolated in your neighborhood. Some people believe these deed restrictions are just mere suggestions.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
Folks if you have Comcast for your internet but no TV service the free to air channels are on the cable and Comcast can't charge for them due to they are free to air broadcast.
so use your TV scanner (obviously it has to be a Newer Digital TV tuner) and all the channels will be there.
Anything over 45 to 50 miles will not come in very well unless you have a huge antenna on the roof, a small omni directional antenna works fine and has a 50 mile range.
I live on Pinnellas and bunea vista and i got the channels from Orlando which is approximately 114 azimuth if i recall.
Good luck folks.
P.S. federal law preempts any state or HOA restriction and free to air is covered under it and the powers to be have NO JURISDICTIONS no matter what someone tells you.
I have been into the business 40 years and HOA try bullying people and have no authority to do so.
I welcome the HOA Police to tell me that i can't have a FTA antenna, let the lawsuits begin, Class action lawsuits usually puts a bully to rest.
Have a good day
I have antennas in my attic and get all the major networks and more Spanish and religious channels then I can watch.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcataniajr View Post
I can see my article needs some clarification. Firstly, I wasn't aware that one needs to make a POINT is a requirement on this web site. Just sharing information and good old conversation are welcomed in a social network. And this is a social network. Secondly, there are many conversations about what is allowed in The Villages and what isn't. And this is one of those topics. I for one,am "Cutting The Cord" as of this weekend. No, I am not going to install the antenna outside. I just like to know that I have options in this type of environment. And yes,I was aware of all the deed restrictions before I moved here in 2004. In closing, thank you for your welcoming me to the forum. I have been on this forum since its inception but had to re-sign with new ownership for some technical reason.
Have a great day.
Will let everyone know how my new Cord Cutting Adventure goes as soon as I am up and running!
Hey, that's alright, I'm sure an apology will be coming soon.......
By the way, please keep us posted because I have wanted to do this for two years but haven't had the nerve yet.
Thanks for starting the conversation.

Dr. Seuss
Old 04-10-2015, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
An attic mounted antenna has a good chance of pulling in all of the Orlando stations. I am on the south side and I pull in 50 stations.
There are 50 stations in Orlando?
Old 04-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
There are 50 stations in Orlando?
More than that if you count the metro area: Stations for Orlando, Florida

Dr. Seuss
Old 04-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9930 View Post
I assume your advice is for someone living in TV, right? If so, why do you continue to reference HOA as the authority. Does not apply to TV.........maybe Stonecrest?
Old 04-10-2015, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcataniajr View Post
Have a great day.

Still cannot perceive just what you are trying to say. Do you want to put an old fashioned antennae up? It appears you are allowed to. Are you having a baby? Good luck on whatever cord cutting that you are doing. I am confused as to what you are not happy about.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:05 PM

For what it's worth I bought a refurbished Mohu Ultimate amplified indoor antenna from Amazon and I can pick up 5-12 channels depending on the time of day. I stuck in my back window with suction cup hooks.

I don't watch much more than the news or a little MeTV on live tv...

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.