A number of recent TOTV posts caused reflection decision to move here last year.

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default A number of recent TOTV posts caused reflection decision to move here last year.

A number of posts in TOTV recently, have caused me to reflect on my thought process in making my decision, last year, to buy in The Villages.

Before I bought in the Villages, I knew, understood and planned for the potential that:
  • Things may change; buffalo and oak trees may go,
  • The developer would user the land as best suits his needs,
  • The developer would keep The Villages attractive and interesting, as it serves his need to sell more homes,
  • Doing this, the developer would make a lot of money,
  • When built out, the developer might sell off components of The Villages to other companies,
  • Businesses would come and go based upon their value and attractiveness to Villagers,
  • I would from time to time get upset by poor service, bad decisions, and my poor golf game,
  • At peak times of the year, I might have to do more planning around those things I might want to do,
  • The Villages is a great place to live but never expected Paradise or a utopia!
So far none of this seems very unsettling or off-based!

IMHO the powers that be seem to be doing things fairly well, as I do not get upset too often and when I do, I take steps to not encounter the issue repeatedly (see posts on Havana)

Activities are plentiful, open to all (except some issues at the aforementioned peak times of year) and a lots of fun.

I thought Golf would be my overwhelming pastime but it is now equal with a number of other activities.

I lived for 10 years in Florida with poor decison making at a member owned Country Clubs and 63 years with poor decision making by the politicians that "serve" me. So far the developer's decision making looks real good compared! And if he makes a fortune doing this, "te salute!"

All this said, I am going to continue to enjoy my life here, try not to let the little things upset me and live with Frank Costanza's mantra "Serenity Now! No Negativity!"

It's my wish to all of you too.
_

Last edited by tpop1; 04-06-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Sage

Serenity now! No Negativity! It's a great mantra.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

great post... serenity now
Old 04-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Default Serenity Now

I can't wait until I am a TV'er and can say the same thing. GREAT ATTITUDE.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Platinum member

Older AND wiser! Congrats.

You're the second poster this week whom I'd like to have as a next-door neighbor.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post
All this said, I am going to continue to enjoy my life here, try not to let the little things upset me and live with Frank Costanza's mantra "Serenity Now! No Negativity!"

It's my wish to all of you too.
_
tpop1
Beautifully said and I hope that many will follow your quoted mantra.
This is a little off the subject, but:
I have a friend who recently chose Sarasota rather than TV.
I would like to hear a brief description of the pros and cons between the two. Private msg if you prefer.
Thanks

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Why the move to TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgal View Post
tpop1
I have a friend who recently chose Sarasota rather than TV.
I would like to hear a brief description of the pros and cons between the two. Private msg if you prefer.
Thanks
We spent 9 winters in Sarasota and moved to TV bascially beause it offered many more activities for my wife and I.

The member-owned Country Club we belonged to offered basically golf and tennis(almost no one used the pool) and was not managed well. Costs kept rising while services diminished. Mandatory food options at the club were narrow, at a high price also.

Even though we are snowbirds, dues & food minimum were year-round. We had to have a family membership, even though my wife did not play golf or tennnis.

Unmarried couples who lived together had the choice of a family membership, reasonable if both played golf and/or tennis, or a blended single Golf / single social membership if in our situation. Thought this was unfair!

TV affords wife and I many more activities, many of which are interesting to her, and at a better price. I still play golf but also picked up Pickleball! Many more food choices at more reasonable prices.

Enjoying it here much more.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:53 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks tpop1 for your answer.
I couldn't believe anyone would choose somewhere else after visiting TV. She chose Sarasota mainly for the
beach, but having lived here, I can't imagine personally now living without all of the choices we have here
plus it is the "Friendliest Hometown"!

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgal View Post
Thanks tpop1 for your answer.
I couldn't believe anyone would choose somewhere else after visiting TV. She chose Sarasota mainly for the
beach, but having lived here, I can't imagine personally now living without all of the choices we have here
plus it is the "Friendliest Hometown"!
A big factor in deciding to move was to get away from the beach. That is why we were looking inland and that is how we found The Villages. After nearly nine years here we cannot imagine living any where else.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.