CDDs say no more free pass on deed violations

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Sage
Smile CDDs say no more free pass on deed violations

This was in today's Daily Sun newspaper, on page C4. (Mar. 22, 2014)

Sounds a little confusing at first, as if you wouldn't get a warning - just a fine. But you would get a warning and an opportunity to come into compliance. This involves districts 5 through 8.

Fines for first time violations were increased to $50. from $25.

Second violations have been increased to a per day charge. No more free violations.

This involves "signs, outside animals, noise, truck and RV parking and lawn ornaments," among other unnamed violations.

No fines will be imposed until the district board holds a public hearing.

All of the above will be "complaint driven." No one will be bothered unless there is a complaint.

The changes were made because some residents did not take first warnings seriously. Violations often draged on because there was no fear of getting a fine.

The problem is: No one likes to complain. My experience has been that everyone waits for someone else to complain. What would it take for you to complain? Where do you draw the line?
Old 03-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Platinum member

hurray!

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 03-22-2014, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I've been subjected to a barking dog all day. It sounds like a very small yapper. The sound is new to the area, so - is it a visitor, is a renter, is it a new neighbor (please NO). Should I complain - not today, if it goes on for more than a day or so I may get the courage to do something about it. I hate to make waves in this nice little neighborhood!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Veteran member

buggyone...Here's a map of the districts.

VCDD Districts Map

Somehow, buggyone's post got deleted, but he/she asked how to find out which district they live in.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I've been subjected to a barking dog all day. It sounds like a very small yapper. The sound is new to the area, so - is it a visitor, is a renter, is it a new neighbor (please NO). Should I complain - not today, if it goes on for more than a day or so I may get the courage to do something about it. I hate to make waves in this nice little neighborhood!
Find out which house the little yapper is in, knock on the door, introduce yourself, and politely tell them the dog barking is bothering you. They will most likely apologize and keep the dog inside most of the time.

Naturally, the key is to be positive and polite - which I am sure you are.

Good luck.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post

Sounds a little confusing at first, as if you wouldn't get a warning - just a fine. But you would get a warning and an opportunity to come into compliance. This involves districts 5 through 8.

Second violations have been increased to a per day charge. No more free violations.

This involves "signs, outside animals, noise, truck and RV parking and lawn ornaments," among other unnamed violations.

All of the above will be "complaint driven." No one will be bothered unless there is a complaint.

The changes were made because some residents did not take first warnings seriously. Violations often draged on because there was no fear of getting a fine.

The problem is: No one likes to complain. My experience has been that everyone waits for someone else to complain. What would it take for you to complain? Where do you draw the line?
I have and will complain if I see a violation continue over a period of time. Deed restrictions and covenants are part of the mix that makes this a beautiful place to live. Residents were informed of them prior to buying (they are in the public record) . Ignorance is no excuse .

I would not be upset if a neighbor made me aware that I had a violation and would promptly correct the issue.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
I have and will complain if I see a violation continue over a period of time. Deed restrictions and covenants are part of the mix that makes this a beautiful place to live. Residents were informed of them prior to buying (they are in the public record) . Ignorance is no excuse .

I would not be upset if a neighbor made me aware that I had a violation and would promptly correct the issue.
You are absolutely right. Everyone knows what is and is not allowed in the deed restrictions.

You are saying, aren't you, that if it was a neighbor - or person close by your house - that you would first tell them in person that they have some violation before calling it to the attention of Deed Compliance? That would be the friendly thing to do - but also may be tough to handle if they did not correct the violation and you called it in later.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:26 PM
Sage

I am very happy to see this will be strictly complaint driven. I have seen many lawn ornaments that in my view are very tastefully done and appreciate the opportunity to see them. If it was a hard fast rule - no lawn ornaments - even the beautiful ones would not be allowed. If there is something offensive to someone then they have the opportunity to complain. I see this as a more fair and balanced way to approach things of this nature. I hope someone doesn't complain just for the sake of complaining or worse yet to get back at someone. We'll see - probably nothing will really change!
Old 03-22-2014, 03:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I am very happy to see this will be strictly complaint driven. I have seen many lawn ornaments that in my view are very tastefully done and appreciate the opportunity to see them. If it was a hard fast rule - no lawn ornaments - even the beautiful ones would not be allowed. If there is something offensive to someone then they have the opportunity to complain. I see this as a more fair and balanced way to approach things of this nature. I hope someone doesn't complain just for the sake of complaining or worse yet to get back at someone. We'll see - probably nothing will really change!
unfortunately one person's beauty is another's not so beautiful. It is in the eye of the beholder. Just go to any large art museum- even educated critics cannot agree. Best to follow the "Rule"

Lack of action is a slippery slope (JMHO)
Old 03-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Sage
These new rules only apply to districts south of 466 where it is a hard and fast rule - no lawn ornaments and no signs.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Veteran member

How can the CCD ignore known violaters just because a neighbor did not complain?

That will end up resulting in a law suit from some angry home owner.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyOfLife View Post
How can the CCD ignore known violaters just because a neighbor did not complain?

That will end up resulting in a law suit from some angry home owner.

How could that happen?
Old 03-22-2014, 03:49 PM
Email Reported As Spam

First: I believe the CDD's should enforce their rules they wrote them.

Second: To assist residents the CDD should publish illustrations of what violates deed compliances.

Third: community Watch could be a source of identifying violators.

Fourth: I would not have a problem issuing a complaint provided the aforementioned suggestions were adopted.

Fifth: It has been my experience that most dog owners do not want their animals to bother neighbors but there are a few out there they believed that their babies are so precious who could be bothered by their noise.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post

I live in District #2 and can assure you that except for a few specific restrictions, most deed restrictions are not enforceable. It is a fact you cannot have an out roof antenna, you cannot have an unattached building such as a shed etc. and there are certain restrictions governing signs. Our covenants speak of aesthetics. Because of an issue in my district, we found that aesthetics are "in the eye of the beholder".. This means what might be attractive to one person, might be ugly to another. EVERY RESTRICTION REFERRING TO AESTHETICS IS TOTALLY UNENFORCEABLE. In district #2, you can do almost anything you want to your property, afterall, who is going to enforce restrictions that cannot be enforced ??
Old 03-22-2014, 05:00 PM
Sage
A lot of the confusion comes from having different deed restrictions for different sections of The Villages. A new resident might know he or she can't have lawn ornaments, but he sees them in yards in other areas and thinks why not. Study your deed restrictions before you buy. If you can't abide by them, don't buy.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.