NY to Florida - again

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamley View Post
I just registered one of my NY registered cars in Florida. Easiest DMV experience I've ever had. Show proof of ownership of a house (real estate tax statement) Ny Drive Lic, NYS veh. Title and Application and a check. I dropped off everything late one afternoon and was called the following morning to pick up my plates.
Thanks for the info. How much was your check in total?
Old 06-19-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAIII View Post
FUN FACT:

Do Mandatory Vehicle Inspections Really Make Us Safer? - The American Consumer Institute

Across the pond they charge MORE to register older vehicles in an effort to keep emissions lower and new tech on the road which is standard on newer vehicles.
Interesting article, and true. Sixty years ago, Florida did require vehicle inspections. Year after year, you'd take your car to the inspection station and pay the fee. Year after year, the inspection station would find that "your headlights are mis-aimed." They'd put the car onto a mechanical rack with a device to analyze the headlight aim, and they'd adjust a couple of screws on the headlight to re-aim it. (Of course, today headlights are integral to the body and no longer can be aimed this way.)

Why was this so common during inspections? Because the inspection shop could charge an extra fee for the adjustment.

I'm glad that Florida gave that up.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:38 AM

A lamp post!😂
Old 06-19-2021, 07:45 AM

So welcome to being a Florida resident. You might want to check with your accountant as well. By changing state residency will you lose any New York tax benefits on your NY home? Are you totally giving up NY. I believe you must change tags and license within six months relocation. No auto inspection, first time tag $$$. Along with changing voter registration if you own a home here apply for homestead. Bye bye NY hello Florida. We don't get snow!
Old 06-19-2021, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbang View Post
So, I am thinking of changing my 2 cars plates, titles and registrations from NY to FL as well as my NY driver's license. I read FL DMV requirement for Passport and etc.. Does that requirements apply to people already have NY license, Registration, Title and plates?
For those who have been thru this, please tell me it will be less :-)

Cheers!
This is not New York. We did it years ago at the Pinellis library. Took little more than an hour including registering to vote. This is not New York. New York would take you that long to find out you waited an hour on the wrong line. Your New York license, you do not need to pass a test, you need to take an eye test. As far as passing a test, as polite as I can be, Florida drivers are interesting.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:59 AM

Be prepared to take out a loan….
Old 06-19-2021, 08:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehonour View Post
Interesting article, and true. Sixty years ago, Florida did require vehicle inspections. Year after year, you'd take your car to the inspection station and pay the fee. Year after year, the inspection station would find that "your headlights are mis-aimed." They'd put the car onto a mechanical rack with a device to analyze the headlight aim, and they'd adjust a couple of screws on the headlight to re-aim it. (Of course, today headlights are integral to the body and no longer can be aimed this way.)

Why was this so common during inspections? Because the inspection shop could charge an extra fee for the adjustment.

I'm glad that Florida gave that up.
Like any mass project it is/was abused. New York it says they need to inspect one brake. Many cars have front disc brakes, they are open and easy to check, and rear drum brakes. You are paying, I asked them to check the rear brakes, which requires removing the brake drum. They said they did. A few weeks later as I had expected my rear brakes were making noise. The shoes were contacting the drum as they were worn out. Cost me for two new rear brake drums.

No inspection is better than thinking it was properly done.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiltongrizz11 View Post
My wife and I moved from Rochester in September. For two cars two licenses a small trailer and a pop-up camper that costs us about $1,400. And that's a 2008 vehicle into 2015 vehicle and no loans on either.

Admittedly that was about $800 higher than I expected but I didn't look into it too closely nor did I care too much. Thankfully we had the money saved. It's the cost of the auto insurance that really almost offsets the property taxes in our case.

However we are so grateful to be here in Florida.
Hi...from fairport....we have a place on historic side and still do the 5/7mth treck. Not sure, although we consider it, if we could do the full 12mths. The summer temps mostly and of course the grand kids....maybe soon. Enjoy! And don't melt....
Old 06-19-2021, 08:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbang View Post
Thanks for the info. How much was your check in total?
Not sure why you are asking. There is no deal buy one get one free. I'm sure what you pay depends on the car. You do have an option of paying every year or paying for two or perhaps it is three years. There is no discount for paying for two or three years so I pay by the year. Compared to New York, if I am right it is slightly higher but about the same.
Insurance, I have a clean license. Our insurance cost dropped by about 1/3. Real estate taxes dropped to less than half. My home in Florida is roughly twice the size of what we had in New York. You leave behind a 6% state tax and for us a 3% city tax.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:32 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,201 Times in 463 Posts

Call dmv for information on proof of residency.
$400 per car for new tags.
$48 for a license which is good for 10 years. And it has real ID.
Car insurance here is not much different from NJ, pretty pricy.
A lot of uninsured motorists though, so carry enough insurance.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:19 AM
Default Yearly or One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
Call dmv for information on proof of residency.
$400 per car for new tags.
$48 for a license which is good for 10 years. And it has real ID.
Car insurance here is not much different from NJ, pretty pricy.
A lot of uninsured motorists though, so carry enough insurance.
Thanks so much for the detailed info. Is the $400 fee a one time charge or is it an annual recurring fee? Best wishes.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:31 AM

One off the requirements is that you must be able to produce the car your licensing. This stop some people from Liv. A vehicle in NY be ause it's cheaper
Old 06-19-2021, 09:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
The places I went to did a good job inspecting my cars making sure it was safe to run.

If brakes or tires needed replacement had no choice but to replace.

In Florida what is to stop people from riding on bald tires?
You've got to be kidding. You want a government that tells you when to get new tires?
Old 06-19-2021, 09:58 AM
Default Easy process

You need SS card, birth certificate and proof of residency. I got my FL DL in April and I was in and out in 14 minutes. $56 and it’s good for 9 years. So much easier and cheaper than California, which is where I escaped from.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:04 AM
Default Dmv

Rules in Florida for what you need changed drastically after 9/11 which I found when I moved back to the state in 2010. Lots of info required which they scanned into DMV records. Had I saved my plate from previous registering I would have saved lots of money (it had been 7 years).
Closed Thread

Tags
license, plates, people, registration, title

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.