Oak trees being cut down by the Morse's

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2017, 07:26 PM
Default Oak trees being cut down by the Morse's

In the other online news, Villages-newsdotcom, Permits were issued to cut down the Live Oaks at 1304 Debra Dr
Lady Lake, on the Historic side. My god, haven't they decimated Central Florida enough?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:30 PM
Gold member

Their land, their trees. Personally I don't think they decimated anything, but I'll leave it to those who know nothing about forestry to rant and rave.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I am almost certain that the trees were in terrible condition. I noticed some very shabby trees on a lot being prepared for a new home. I wouldn't buy a new home with them there. I notice that a high percentage of trees are saved when an old unit is taken out. They seem to be very respectful of the trees and the neighbors when they build.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation Quit Morse Bashing

Trees are a renewable resource.

One good forest fire in California destroys more trees than there are in the entire The Villages. It's not the end of the world. More trees grow.

I have been the victim of planting an oak tree and several years later being told by the local government that although it is on my land and I planted it, I do not have the authority to cut it down, even if it threatens my house.

I am personally fed up with unthinking and unreasonable tree hugging.

I am confident that if the Morse's are cutting down oak trees, they had good reason AND they received the proper permission from local government.

Enough of this Morse bashing.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I am almost certain that the trees were in terrible condition. I noticed some very shabby trees on a lot being prepared for a new home. I wouldn't buy a new home with them there. I notice that a high percentage of trees are saved when an old unit is taken out. They seem to be very respectful of the trees and the neighbors when they build.

Well said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Trees are a renewable resource.

One good forest fire in California destroys more trees than there are in the entire The Villages. It's not the end of the world. More trees grow.

I have been the victim of planting an oak tree and several years later being told by the local government that although it is on my land and I planted it, I do not have the authority to cut it down, even if it threatens my house.

I am personally fed up with unthinking and unreasonable tree hugging.

I am confident that if the Morse's are cutting down oak trees, they had good reason AND they received the proper permission from local government.

Enough of this Morse bashing.

Carl - we appreciate your wisdom and forthright comments. Couldn't have said it better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-06-2017, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
In the other online news, Villages-newsdotcom, Permits were issued to cut down the Live Oaks at 1304 Debra Dr
Lady Lake, on the Historic side. My god, haven't they decimated Central Florida enough?
If you lived here you would feel differently unless of course you do and feel that since you have yours it's time for them to stop.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-06-2017, 10:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

if Spanish moss get bad enough it will smother the leaves, without enough leave the tree will loose it branches and eventually die, might take awhile but sooner or later some succumb to the parasite. with all the taxes the developer bring into the counties they pretty much get there way most of the time. just got to jump through few legal hoops.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Oak trees really grow fast. We took a ride though Hadley last week and oak trees there have grown significantly in nine years.

I don't know that those oak trees you are concerned with that some claim are from Civil War era is legitimate, but I don't get all weepy over trees.

But we all have our passions.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Oak trees really grow fast. We took a ride though Hadley last week and oak trees there have grown significantly in nine years.

I don't know that those oak trees you are concerned with that some claim are from Civil War era is legitimate, but I don't get all weepy over trees.

But we all have our passions.
Hard wood trees usually are slow growers compared to soft wood trees. Oaks are pretty hard on the hardness scale, some can live over 1000 years under the right conditions and no pest, parasite invasion, or man around to cut them down.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
if Spanish moss get bad enough it will smother the leaves, without enough leave the tree will loose it branches and eventually die, might take awhile but sooner or later some succumb to the parasite. with all the taxes the developer bring into the counties they pretty much get there way most of the time. just got to jump through few legal hoops.
I have seen crews thinning the moss and wondered. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:41 PM
Platinum member
Talking Spanish Moss

Quote:
Correct in most respects, except that Spanish Moss is not a parasite. It is a bromeliad—a perennial herb in the pineapple family. Most bromeliads, including Spanish moss, are epiphytes. Epiphytes grow on other plants, but do not rely on them for nutrients. They take nutrients from the air and debris that collects on the plant.

Topspinmo is correct that Spanish Moss can become so thick on a tree that it shades the leaves to the point that it blocks photosynthesis. Then the tree can become stressed and subject to disease.

Back before tree trimming became a major industry in Florida, it was commonplace to have people going door to door and offering to remove the overload of Spanish Moss from your trees for a nominal price. Some did not even climb the tree, but pulled the moss down with very long cane poles.

High school kids did it in Tampa to get spending money.

Regarding the last remark, if I had my way the Morse family could do what they chose with the trees on their property, so they could develop it as they saw fit, with no need for any permits from anyone. I guess it's just my Libertarian side coming to the surface.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
"Spanish Moss" is neither spanish, nor moss, nor a parasite. Google it
Old 06-07-2017, 07:20 AM
Sage

If it ant the tree it's free loader, we all know about free loaders
Old 06-07-2017, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
Their land, their trees. Personally I don't think they decimated anything, but I'll leave it to those who know nothing about forestry to rant and rave.
Would those be the same trees that we, as residents, are NOT allowed to cut down?????
Closed Thread

Tags
cut, side, historic, lake, lady

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.