Ok I need a dictionary for TOV slang

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Lucy Meets Cyberspace

Good morning,

And a special good morning to Pturner and to TH and to Mr. Tony. They must have been so confused when each of them got a PM from me that I wrote last night, asking them to make my "offensive" post go away.

I wish I had more time this morning to tell this story better. But I will try. Here's what happened......

Last night, having sprung forward, I wrote a post where I took Mr. Tony to task for saying "Tut Tut" about acronyms. On and on I went, of course. I called him Too Uptight Tony.

And then I launched into one of those things that I am wont to do. And I chastised Mr. Tony, even more, about how his lah-dee-dahing around about not using acronyms was creating a snafu in this thread and yes, even a fubar.

And I clearly explained those acronyms that I was using to try to torment Mr. Tony. I said they meant situation normal all fouled up and fouled up beyond all recognition.(Ohhhhhh, I was so careful to make clear that I was certainly not implying the ef- word. -- you know -- just in case.)

I submitted the post and later looked back at it and saw a lightbulb had appeared above it. And I thought, "EEK! I have offended somebody. I have been reported to an admin. In 2179 posts I have never been reported to an admin. Oh My!"

Anyway, even though I thought that whoever had reported me was going a little overboard, I did not want to get into the middle of a snafu and so I immediately dispatched three PM's. One went to Pturner because she had come into the thread and quoted my post in her post. And the others to the admins. But, alas, it was too late and everybody except me had gone to bed and could not answer my plea.

(Is this thing making any sense yet?)

And then this morning when I got up, the first thing I did was flip on the computer (even before the coffee pot) and there I found a message from Mr. Tony telling me that I had reported myself. Yes, Boomer had reported Boomer.

It seems that the reason the lightbulb was at the top of my post when I looked back later was because I had put it there. There is a lightbulb icon above "Preview Post" and I had accidentally turned it on. Geez. That lightbulb had nothing to do with reporting anything. It was just a lightbulb icon, minding its own business.

How many Boomers does it take to screw up a lightbulb?

You know, I thought it was kind of weird that a lightbulb should mean a post had been reported to an admin. But on some level I must have thought it was some kind of symbolism -- like shining a light on the offense so the admin could find it.

Whatinthehellisthematterwithme???!!! What if I really am an English major? Seeing symbolism everywhere. Geez.

(I really thought that I sensed some glee in Mr. Tony when he got to tell me what I had done.)

(And btw, I do things like this in my real life too. Mr. Boomer says that sometimes it is like being married to Lucy.)

And later I will have to tell you all about how I think Mr. Tony is setting traps for English majors everywhere. I was accused of being one at Home Depot. That's right. Home Depot.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 03-15-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Boomer said, "(I really thought that I sensed some glee in Mr. Tony when he got to tell me what I had done.) "

Glee doesn't begin to describe my reaction.

And talk about a snafu! Isn't that ironic?

I suspect that Boomer set up this snafu to exhibit what a snafu really is. That is so English-majorish, isn't it?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Soaring Parsley

Mr. Tony!

After the morning I have had here!

What with having to do a shameless confession first thing!

What with learning that I had sent ridiculously assumptive PM's to the entire western world, apologizing for being so "offensive" and yet somehow being offended myself that someone would think I had been offensive. All there in that PM. And I sent one to you!

And then you come in here and heap insult upon injury by accusing me of being some kind of baton-wielding English major, orchestrating this whole thing.

Like Shakespeare wrote, "Beware the Ides of March" -- I should have known.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 03-15-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Administrator
Default An English major looms, methinks.

Player Queen:
Both here and hence pursue me lasting strife,
If once I be a widow, ever I be a wife!
Player King:
'Tis deeply sworn. Sweet, leave me here a while,
My spirits grow dull, and fain I would beguile
The tedious day with sleep.
Player Queen:
Sleep rock thy brain,
And never come mischance between us twain!
Hamlet:
Madam, how like you this play?
Queen:
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Hamlet Act 3, scene 2, 222–230
Old 03-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

omg
Old 03-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Veteran member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
omg
That about says it all.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Soaring Parsley

Wow! Mr. Tony, who's looking like an English major now?

....and I think the real problem is that the lady should not type so close to midnight ever again. That springing forward thing must have got the best of me.

"Sleep rock thy brain" -- great line. Where was the bard's advice last night when I needed it?

I gotta get out of here. All this Shakespeare talk is making me want to go back to work.

--------

But first, I really would like to try to be a good citizen of TOTVland and help Trudy with her dictionary.....

Snowflake -- I think that means somebody who just shows up from time to time, throughout the winter, not on a certain schedule like the snowbirds do. If I am wrong on that, I hope somebody will clarify it for me. I think I want to be one. (And no comments on the flake part, Mr. Tony.)

Lady Boomer
Old 03-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Sage

Geez, it's starting to sound like all the world's a stage.
And all the men and women merely English majors!

Lady McP

Last edited by Pturner; 03-15-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Eternal Member

WOW!!!! What an education you get at TOTV!

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.