Old Gasoline Disposal

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2022, 03:00 PM
Default Old Gasoline Disposal

Old Gasoline Disposal. Is there anywhere in or near The Villages where I can dispose of a few gallons of old gasoline from my generator?
Old 01-21-2022, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Steele View Post
Old Gasoline Disposal. Is there anywhere in or near The Villages where I can dispose of a few gallons of old gasoline from my generator?
How to get rid of OLD gasoline
Old 01-21-2022, 05:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
This has actually been asked before. You do not say what, a few, means, or if it is lead free.
Look it up. I think the last time lead fuel was sold was well over ten years ago. So assuming it is lead free, I would use it in your golf cart or car. Adding a half gallon to your golf cart with a mostly full tank or a gallon to your car with a mostly full tank should not cause any problem.

If, someone has added ???? water, diesel ?????? to it, IN ERROR, you need to find a proper disposal place. I'm sure your trash collection, or the villages offices can advise you.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

to mix old gas with lots of new gas, take can to gas station filling up the car, put old gas into car near empty tank at gas station, fill up the car, problem solved, have done it many times, even with 2 cycle oil

old gas is not like old food, though anyone selling new gas might want you to think that
Old 01-22-2022, 08:42 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
How old is the fuel you are trying to dispose of 3mon, 6 mon or years?
Fuel degrades after 6months in some containers specifically plastic.
I have added fuel to my vehicle gas tank in qualities of a gallon with no issue after 3-6 months old.
Think about it some vehicles sit on a car lot for months before they are sold do you think an auto dealer dumps the fuel.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
to mix old gas with lots of new gas, take can to gas station filling up the car, put old gas into car near empty tank at gas station, fill up the car, problem solved, have done it many times, even with 2 cycle oil

old gas is not like old food, though anyone selling new gas might want you to think that
I wouldn’t put 2 cycle oil in computer controlled vehicle. My cause Exhaust sensing problems? But, that’s me.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
When I had generator at other locations I added sticker with date of purchase. Within year If not used, I would pull the gas out dump it my truck or riding mower. Then, put fresh gas and treatment back in, start generator with fresh gas and run it long enough to burn all old gas out of carburetor bowl. Put new date on and put it back in storage. That way I knew how old gas was and was able to use it. Never had problem.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I wouldn’t put 2 cycle oil in computer controlled vehicle. My cause Exhaust sensing problems? But, that’s me.
its all about ratios. . old gas for me usually amounts to maybe 1/2 gallon, within a 15 gallon refill, might be noticeable. . . and most cars are computer controlled, but that's me. .

I have also put a 2x more injector cleaner into a nearly empty tank and drove the car to the gas station to clean out the injectors.

but remember, I don't buy new cars, and i don't spend much money fixing up future junk
Closed Thread

Tags
gasoline, disposal, gallons, dispose, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.