Old Paint Disposal

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Default Old Paint Disposal

I have several can of old paint that the PO left in the garage.....we are in Sumter County.....any suggestions for disposal?
Old 03-14-2015, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Typically what I have seen is open the cans of paint and let the paint harden, then dispose of in the normal trash. I have done this up North. A few times I was in a hurry, so I took large pieces of cardboard and poured the paint on it and left in the sunlight to dry quickly. I then repeated the process with another layer until all the paint was dry, then put the dried paint/cardboard in the trash.

Hope this helps,

and if the regs are different here, PLEASE CORRECT ME,
Old 03-14-2015, 01:05 PM

I mix my left over paint with kitty litter and then dispose of it. Acceptable here in the Dallas / Fort Worth area but might / might not be acceptable in your location.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:57 PM

Lowe's and Home Depot also have packets of paint hardener near the counter areas of their Paint Dept that you mix with unused paint until the mixture hardens and can't be stirred anymore. Then you dispose with normal trash. As I recall, each packet does between 1/3 to 1/2 gal. of paint. The other option would be to research your county's household hazardous materials recycling program and see if they have times or locations to bring things like unused paint.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:15 PM

Get a bag of cat Litter And mix with the paint in the can. Let sit with top off until
Solidified and throw out in garbage. You may have to mix and match depending how much
Paint in a can.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.