Things to do with mom

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2015, 10:28 AM
Veteran member
Default Things to do with mom

Mom is here for a visit and we will be looking at assisted living for her.

Walks with a cane and will be getting a wheelchair for her when we go to town squares.

Has profound hearing loss and does have a hearing aid - we are working with healthcare professionals to hopefully increase hearing.

Here's my question: looking for recommendations on things to do with her. Since we are new here (just moved full time) and typically very active, looking for slower paced activities for her.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Gold member

Most important. Spend time with Mom. I just lost mine nothing is more important
Old 03-12-2015, 11:26 AM
Veteran member

Thanks Hulahips....you are so correct....so glad I have this time with her....that's why we are moving her here from the north.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Couldn't agree with hulahips more. I wish i would have spent more time asking questions of a lot of older family members - questions about their childhood, what things were like for them growing up, who were big influences in their lives, why did they make the decisions they made - you get the gist. Maybe doing this while sitting out on a bench beside a pond, or some other lovely place in TV, would be a nice thing to do.

When one of our uncles was limited in his abilities we spent time playing cards and board games with him - or putting puzzles together may be another good idea. A couple questions to consider might be - What does your mom enjoy doing? What are her interests? Does she enjoy spending more time outdoors or in? Maybe she would enjoy the trolley ride around TV if she hasn't done that before.

Whatever you do, I hope your time together is a blessing!
Old 03-12-2015, 12:53 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Don't know you and your Mom, but I know my 92-yr-old Mom would like this list:

Visit the squares with and without the crowds!
Enjoy a picnic on a bench under a shady oak tree; or cocktails @ sunset by the LSL bridge.
Take a drive tour around the historic villages so she understands from whence The Villages has grown; and don't miss the picturesque pool @ the OBG country club.
Visit the Eisenhower Rec Center and Savannah Center.
Grab a couple of girlfriends and have lunch @ Polly's in Wildwood [https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pollys-Pantry-Tearoom-and-Restaurant/222820257766368}]

Old 03-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Veteran member

Blessed

Having lost my dad in November, 13 months after I moved both parents here, enjoy every moment. Mom has dementia and outings are, well, problematic at this point as she is likely to do inappropriate things.

I would add Silver Springs in Ocala to the list of things/places. Depending on her taste in music, lots to see/hear at Savannah Center. If she likes country music, Orange Blossom Opry has great shows (their own cast plus guest artist shows). Go to Mt Dora and have lunch.

Be sure to look at Sumter Place and their new AL at Buffalo Ridge - my parents loved Sumter Place. Class operation, great food, lots of in house activity.

If she can handle crowds and being out for a day, think about Disney - Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom both have lots to do and are manageable pushing a wheelchair. Spring and fall (May and September) are the best times as crowds are generally smaller.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:53 PM

We just moved to TV in September and Mom wanted to move to FL also to be near us. She is staying at SteepleChase however she's getting where she really doesn't like to be around crowds. I spend time with her, we go to lunch, we take drives around TV, we go out for frozen custard and yogurt... she just enjoys spending time together. What I might think is 'small or lame', she totally enjoys it! I know she would not enjoy Disney at all. Just spend time with her, she will love it! The best to you & your Mom! Enjoy.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:10 PM

Good idea BizDoc ~
Silver Springs in Ocala is a great place to spend a morning or afternoon. Parking lot to glass bottom boats is very easy when pushing a wheelchair. Brought my sister there in September. Your Mom can just sit on the boat and enjoy the ride, the birds, the springs, the monkeys in the trees (if she's lucky). Very educational and enjoyable. Highly recommended.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Sage

Try a nice leisurely drive through the large horse farms in the Ocala area.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:01 PM
Sage

Visit a Villages swimming pool and do some "water walking" for exercise.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Veteran member

Right now I am watching her get her nails done and enjoying seeing her being pampered.

Thanks to all for great suggestions. Most of suggestions to just spend time with her, which I am doing.

Have meetings at Steeplechase and Carriage House. Any other assisted living facilities suggestions?
Old 03-14-2015, 11:41 AM

I understand Sumter Place is a great family owned business. I'd check that one out too.

I think your Mom may enjoy going into all of the Regional Rec Centers just to look at them, sit in their chairs, enjoy the ambiance in each of them, chat with guests. My Mom would have loved doing that. Just another suggestion of how to spend time together.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:43 PM
Veteran member

Sumter Place is "inside" TV - residents have the choice to pay the amenities fee and have full use of TV including clubs, etc. (Same will be true of the Buffalo Ridge facility that they are building). Oh, and the food is *great*. Unlike many ALFs, Sumter Place residents order off a menu (like a restaurant) and aren't tied to a regimented schedule for meal times (no "breakfast is from 7:30 to 7:45 am")

One word of advice - having her close to you helps. If there is a problem, racing from one end of TV to the other gets old *really* fast.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.