The Old-Time Milkman...

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Veteran member
Default The Old-Time Milkman...

I don't know if this is a "poll" or what it is. When we were in Baltimore two major grocery chains offered home delivery of groceries. You went on their website, ordered your groceries & paid them with a credit card and they would deliver them on a specific day within a chosen time period. You could order anything you wanted even refrigerated or frozen foods. There was a delivery fee for the service, but if you purchased enough items, then the fee was waived.

We also had a home-delivery milkman who delivered fresh milk in glass bottles. I am a real sucker for milk in glass bottles, and I've been trying to find if there are any nearby farmers or dairies who bottle their milk that way around here. The ordering scheme was the same way. Your delivery date was set, and you could order anytime up to a cutoff date, pay for your order with a credit card and you order would be delivered to your door on the set date.

If those sorts things were available in TV would you order from them? I have been thinking that with as many people as are here, it would be a natural for some company to provide a service like that.

What say you??
Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
I don't know if this is a "poll" or what it is. When we were in Baltimore two major grocery chains offered home delivery of groceries. You went on their website, ordered your groceries & paid them with a credit card and they would deliver them on a specific day within a chosen time period. You could order anything you wanted even refrigerated or frozen foods. There was a delivery fee for the service, but if you purchased enough items, then the fee was waived.

We also had a home-delivery milkman who delivered fresh milk in glass bottles. I am a real sucker for milk in glass bottles, and I've been trying to find if there are any nearby farmers or dairies who bottle their milk that way around here. The ordering scheme was the same way. Your delivery date was set, and you could order anytime up to a cutoff date, pay for your order with a credit card and you order would be delivered to your door on the set date.

If those sorts things were available in TV would you order from them? I have been thinking that with as many people as are here, it would be a natural for some company to provide a service like that.

What say you??
I would definitely take advantage of the grocery delivery if the prices for the food were comparable. Also, I would want it to be from an actual store where I could go" look and see" what's available beforehand to get an idea of what I might want.

The milk thing brings back great memories.... milk in glass bottles, eggs, butter, cream, and other things (a fresh turkey!) from Turner Dairy in Pittsburgh. The milk box on the front stoop--from my childhood in 1950 through my children's childhood, ending in the '80s when we moved to NJ. (Stoop... is that only a Pittsburgh term? I've never heard it in MI or NJ). And a monthly bill. We don't drink much milk now, so probably we wouldn't use it, but wow. Thanks for the memories.

Turner Dairy is still there by the way.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Veteran member

The grocery chains that offered the service were Safeway & Giant which is also known as Stop & Shop in NYC & New England. Whatever they were offering that week you could purchase. If it was on sale in the store, you got the sale price. You could buy the same items & sizes for home delivery as you could if you went to the store. Now if you're somebody who wants to fondle the tomatoes, poke the bread & squeeze the Charmin then you problably wouldn't like the home delivery.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I would definitely take advantage of the grocery delivery if the prices for the food were comparable. Also, I would want it to be from an actual store where I could go" look and see" what's available beforehand to get an idea of what I might want.

The milk thing brings back great memories.... milk in glass bottles, eggs, butter, cream, and other things (a fresh turkey!) from Turner Dairy in Pittsburgh. The milk box on the front stoop--from my childhood in 1950 through my children's childhood, ending in the '80s when we moved to NJ. (Stoop... is that only a Pittsburgh term? I've never heard it in MI or NJ). And a monthly bill. We don't drink much milk now, so probably we wouldn't use it, but wow. Thanks for the memories.

Turner Dairy is still there by the way.
In the Bronx NY we used to sit on the STOOPS of the apartment buildings. Also played STOOP BALL throwing a SPALDEEN. ( Pink ball made by Spaulding) against the point if the Stoop steps.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Sage

FYI - we do have grocery delivery available in The Villages from I think he's called The Village Grocer!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:44 AM

your grocery delivery prayers have been answered.
the villages now has free or low cost grocery delivery from publix to your door
Home - Village Grocery Delivery, LLC.
i missed having peapod grocery delivery from new england so when i bumped into this relatively new service company i jumped with joy and have been using them regularly for many months now.
i use the publix weekly online ad feature to make my list , including sale items. buy one get one free etc.and then email the list to dave at village grocery delivery
.making note of the day and time i want my groceries delivered. fresh milk, produce and all the bulky items i would have trouble bringing home on my golf cart. i have watched the villages grow in many ways in the 14 years i have lived here and this grocery delivery service adds another plus to why the villages is a great place to live
Old 03-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Veteran member

But this is a private individual acting as a personal shopper, correct? He's not afiliated or employed by Publix..or am I wrong about that?
Old 03-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Grocery Delivery View Post
Hi Mack184 -- we are a private company with no affiliation with Publix or any other grocery store. We shop at any store you request. Our business model is such that we can do the shopping and delivery at no charge to you (provided you let us shop at Publix, and your groceries total $60 or more). Simply reimburse us for the cost of your groceries. You even get to enjoy the sale prices offered by the store! You can learn more on our website: Home - Village Grocery Delivery, LLC We hope you will give us a try sometime. We've been in business since July 2012, and most of the people that try us once like us so much that that use our service again and again.
We certainly have!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Veteran member
Default milk man

we do still have a daily delivery service here in England.
I choose not to have my milk delivered, it is cheaper at the supermarket. Also, he delivers at 04:15 every morning!!!!
I am NOT a morniong person! He is not the quietest of delivery person either.
My neighbour has this service, and says it is because it is giving a local man a job. OK.
When he did not deliver one day, she rang the dairy and was put through to customer service in, wait for it........... Manilla, Phillipines!! So, this is employing local peopl is it??
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

This has sort of taken off in a different direction..What I was asking in the original post was.."If a local milkman was delivering milk in TV would you use him?"
Old 03-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

Makes me smile when I think of "Twin Pines" milk delivery in the Detroit area. Couldn't wait to pry off the top to be the first one to [U]spoon-off[U] the cream from the top. Not in TV quite yet, but probably would NOT use the service now.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 03-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
This has sort of taken off in a different direction..What I was asking in the original post was.."If a local milkman was delivering milk in TV would you use him?"
for what?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
for what?
To wash windows, of course!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Sage

I miss the old type of milk that my late uncle delivered for twenty seven years when he worked at Sealtest. It brings back memories.

I really don't see the need for such a delivery now. Unfortunately, it's a thing of the past. I wonder if it still goes on in towns in PA that have the Amish people or in other small towns in Wisconsin.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I miss the old type of milk that my late uncle delivered for twenty seven years when he worked at Sealtest. It brings back memories.

I really don't see the need for such a delivery now. Unfortunately, it's a thing of the past. I wonder if it still goes on in towns in PA that have the Amish people or in other small towns in Wisconsin.
While they don't home deliver, there is a wonderful dairy in Trucksville, PA which is just outside of Wilkes-Barre. Hillside Farms is an old dairy farm which uses the cows from it's herd as well as from a few other local herds to make their own milk, cream & ice cream. The milk is put up in glass bottles, and the prices are very reasonable when compared to mass-market dairies in the area. I used to go there every week when we lived in PA to pick up fresh milk. I know there are also a couple more down in the Amish country below Allentown, but the names don't come to me now.

When we lived in Maryland we had delivery from a farm called South Mountain Creamery which was located west of the Baltimore area. Same story..local farmer putting up milk, cream & ice cream with his own herd. They also offered fresh eggs from their own chickens and a variety of other items as well. You ordered each week on-line prior to your delivery date & then your milk would come on the chosen date. We loved them.

Wish there was something like that down here, but so far I haven't found anything like it.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.