Memorial Day Flag Protocol

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2023, 09:17 AM
Default Memorial Day Flag Protocol

On Memorial Day, the U.S. flag should be flown at half-mast from sunrise until noon. After noon, the U.S. flag should then be raised to full height from noon to sundown.

For the first half of Memorial Day this unique custom honors those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation having died in war and then honors living veterans for the remainder of the day.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:11 AM

This day absolutely does not honor any of the living. This day, the entire day, is dedicated to the remembrance all of those military individuals who died in the service of our country.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffin View Post
This day absolutely does not honor any of the living. This day, the entire day, is dedicated to the remembrance all of those military individuals who died in the service of our country.
That's the way I understand it, also.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-28-2023, 10:58 AM

The OP is half right as shown below from an article on flag protocols for Memorial Day.

On Memorial Day, special protocols are observed.

The flag should fly at the half-staff position until noon only, and then be raised to the top of the staff for the remainder of the day.

This custom, unique to Memorial Day, honors the war dead in the morning of Memorial Day, but then the flag is raised to full-staff at noon by the living, “who resolve not to let their sacrifice be in vain, but to rise up in their stead and continue the fight for liberty and justice for all.”

The custom appears to date back to at least 1906, when an Army regulations book included instructions for the procedure. Congress made it a permanent part of the U.S. Code (Title 4, Section 6) with the proclamation: “For the nation lives, and the flag is a symbol of illumination.”

So it is raised by the living at noon but not to honor living veterans. I am a veteran and I kind of cringe when someone wants to honor or recognize living veterans on Memorial Day. Let’s keep the day to recognize those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our country. Every other day we can recognize living veterans.
Old 05-28-2023, 11:10 AM

Thank you for the original post. Most people think that they are being a patriot by flying a flag but have no idea when to display it at half staff or know how to put a flag on their house at half staff.

Last edited by Ralphy; 05-28-2023 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-28-2023, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,244 Times in 4,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
Thank you for the original post. Most people think that they are being a patriot by flying a flag but have no idea when to display it at half staff or know how to put a flag on their house at half staff.
Well, my flagpole, that is attached at an angle, outside my garage, does not seem to have an option to fly a flag at half staff.

Care to enlighten us?

-Tom Petty
Old 05-28-2023, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,350 Times in 2,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Well, my flagpole, that is attached at an angle, outside my garage, does not seem to have an option to fly a flag at half staff.

Care to enlighten us?
Get a longer flag pole?
Smaller flag?
Extend present pole?
Move to house with a longer pole?
Etc.etc.
Old 05-28-2023, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post

Care to enlighten us?
There are several kinds of house flag mounts. Most house flag mounts have two positions. One is on an upward angle and the other is horizontal. The horizontal position is the half staff position. Another type has only the upward position. If you have this kind, and want to show proper respect, you can replace this kind with a two position mount. Another choice is to purchase what is called a death ribbon. For a flag, this is a three inch by five foot black ribbon. This is folded in half and looped so that you can put it at the top of the flag. The directions that come with it shows you how.

Not displaying an American flag properly is against what is called the flag code. There are no penalties under this law for any violation. Except for making clothing out of a flag, every other part of the code is violated every day. These violations are what are now referred to as common practice.
Old 05-28-2023, 02:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Get a longer flag pole?
Smaller flag?
Extend present pole?
They came as a set, so no...

Move to house with a longer pole?
Etc.etc.[/QUOTE]

Move? Just so I can "properly fly my flag at half staff?

Once again... No...

I guess I'll just take my flag down that day, as not to inflict any undue harm to anyone's delicate sensibilities...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-28-2023, 02:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
There are several kinds of house flag mounts. Most house flag mounts have two positions. One is on an upward angle and the other is horizontal. The horizontal position is the half staff position. Another type has only the upward position. If you have this kind, and want to show proper respect, you can replace this kind with a two position mount. Another choice is to purchase what is called a death ribbon. For a flag, this is a three inch by five foot black ribbon. This is folded in half and looped so that you can put it at the top of the flag. The directions that come with it shows you how.

Not displaying an American flag properly is against what is called the flag code. There are no penalties under this law for any violation. Except for making clothing out of a flag, every other part of the code is violated every day. These violations are what are now referred to as common practice.
Now this is a helpful post. Yes, my flag mount has two positions. Once at about 45° upwards and the other horizontal. I never knew the horizontal mount meant half staff.

I never knew about the "death ribbon" either... But now I do...

Thank you for the information and I will now change my flag to the horizontal position when appropriate...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-28-2023, 02:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

I am also in violation with my 18 small lawn flags.
I understand they can not touch any part of the grass.
Also, I leave them out after sundown.

Am i bad?
Old 05-28-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
I am also in violation with my 18 small lawn flags.
I understand they can not touch any part of the grass.
Also, I leave them out after sundown.

Am i bad?
No, you are not Bad!
We don't think they remove all those tiny flags at night every day that sits in front of a Veteran monument plot at a national cemetery...
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	flags.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	98665  
Old 05-28-2023, 05:20 PM

Obtuse.
Old 05-28-2023, 05:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,739 Times in 1,222 Posts

Remembering all those who have and are serving.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1004
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	98666  
Old 05-29-2023, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhacker View Post
On Memorial Day, the U.S. flag should be flown at half-mast from sunrise until noon. After noon, the U.S. flag should then be raised to full height from noon to sundown.

For the first half of Memorial Day this unique custom honors those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation having died in war and then honors living veterans for the remainder of the day.
Not sure I agree. The Veterans have their own unique day
Closed Thread

Tags
day, memorial, noon, flag, u.s

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.