One car garage?

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2023, 08:02 PM

Some cottage villas have fences around to if you don't like the elongated floor plan of CY villa
Old 05-26-2023, 04:51 AM

My garage fits both my golf cart and Accord. But it's longer rather than wide and I have to back the car out to take the golf cart out. That was known I would need to do before moving in. Not a really big deal, would be nice if I could just jump in the cart and go, but I get a lot of practice backing it out and using the mirrors between car in driveway and garage wall. It's been working fine for a year, though I always have an option to sell and go bigger garage later. If you don't want to go through that each time, go bigger.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
Hello - My wife & I will be heading down for a Lifestyle visit in less than 2 weeks. Looking forward to checking out some houses - mostly CYV since we want a fence for the dog.

We've seen a few that look great but have only a one car garage. Even with only one car, is a one car garage enough? Can you fit a golf cart in there? I figure storage would be minimal.

Any tips or tricks?

Thanks
You may want to check out the Verandas style of homes. They have two car garages and some have 2+ golf car garage. They are designer homes with fences or walls and have more square footage of living space.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Hello - My wife & I will be heading down for a Lifestyle visit in less than 2 weeks. Looking forward to checking out some houses - mostly CYV since we want a fence for the dog.

We've seen a few that look great but have only a one car garage. Even with only one car, is a one car garage enough? Can you fit a golf cart in there? I figure storage would be minimal.

Any tips or tricks?

Thanks
While many of the older courtyard villas had what they called a 1 1/2 car garage, they also had a curved driveway that made things a little more difficult to get a small suv and a golf car in. A lot of those same units had the laundry facilities in the garage so you had to do a lot of walking around things in the garage. The newer courtyard villas have either a 2 car or a 2 car plus a golf cart garage so it gives you a lot more room and with the straight driveways it’s also easier to navigate.

Verandas and courtyard villas are the only homes with an enclosed backyard for your dog, although you can find a few patio villas that have a white picket fenced in backyard in the southern areas. Hope that helps.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
Before we bought our home, we rented for several years. We had 2 Patio Villas and 2 Courtyard Villas. And although we really liked those houses, the one thing that I didn't care for was the garage in all of them. While I could fit a golf cart and my SUV in the Patio Villa, but it was really tight. But when we rented the 2 Courtyard Villas, I had to leave the car in the driveway because when I tried to pull the SUV around the partially curved driveway, the swinging room of the front fender never would clear the golf cart parked by the door. So, with those experiences, when it came time for me to look for a house that we would purchase one of the "must have" criteria was a 2 car garage. Now, I want to say that my experience must not be shared with everybody because there are a heck of a lot people in The Villages who are living in and enjoying their Patio and Courtyard Villas. So there are a LOT of people who have found a way to use the 1 car garage for both a car and a cart. But, for me, a 2 garage in either a designer or ranch was the only way to go.
I’m wondering, how did you find the rentals you used? Thank you!
Old 05-26-2023, 05:49 AM
Veteran member

Depends a lot on your budget , we have a older CYV ,a little tight in the garage but is easily workable. The bigger CYV’s come with a substantial price increase.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:

Any tips or tricks?

Thanks
Please excuse the dark photos—it’s still dark out, and I need more lights in my garage. A few months ago I downsized from a two car garage to a ten year old Courtyard Villa with a 1.5 car garage. I drive a Prius and don’t need a calf cart, but there isn’t much storage space inside Courtyard Villas, so I found room for a lot more in the garage. There’s room for a lot more in your 1.5 car garage than you might think. I’ve learned just when to start swinging the wheel to make a smooth 3/4 circle out of the garage and onto the street. With just one small car, there is plenty of room. If I didn’t have a refrigerator in the garage and I pulled the car in a few more feet, I’d have enough room to park a cart at an angle right next to the HVAC.

Storage: I have a work bench at the back four feet long and two feet deep. It has two full shelves under it that hold some toolboxes. I installed three ten foot long shelves on the back wall that hold laundry products, glue, lubes, screws and nails and drill bit sets, gloves, and that sort of thing. To the left of those, above the workbench, are magnetic holders for tools. (Another area for screwdrivers and scrap wood is near the garage door.)

Most of the left wall is storage cabinets. (Rubbermaid cabinets about 2’ wide each and mostly 6’ high, 16” deep, with all the flimsy shelves replaced with sturdy plywood shelves screwed into place.) These hold things like battery-operated power tools, sand papers, tapes, tools, extra canned foods, extra toilet paper and paper towels and Kleenex, extra silverware and a few vases for flowers, kitchen appliances I rarely use, and several cabinets are empty. The Christmas tree in its box slides in on top of those cabinets. There are two waist high cabinets. On one is a small drill press. On the other is a disc and belt sander for woodworking.

On the right hand wall I screwed several strips of 1x2” pine into the steel studs, and to those strips I attached various brackets and pegs. I have four lawn chairs hanging up, and a full 8’ step ladder (with one inch to spare). Also, two sawhorse type gadgets. If I need to cut lumber, I either make the cuts on a saw horse in the driveway or move the car to the driveway and make the cuts in the garage, then blow out the sawdust. I also have a sturdy cart that holds another belt sander and a grinder. I can move them wherever I need for working.

In short, there is room for quite a bit of storage in a 1.5 car garage. Installing that storage can be a lot of work. I’ve done similar things in the closets in my house. A Courtyard Villa is a bit like living on a boat: it’s nice to have only what you really need and get rid of extras. I don’t feel cramped, but then I live alone and don’t entertain, and I don’t cook much.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0479.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	98624   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0480.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	98625   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	98626   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0482.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	98627  
Old 05-26-2023, 06:08 AM
Veteran member

CYV have 1 and 1/2 car garages for the majority. There are 2 car garages available on some CYV. There are NO 1 car garages as far as I can tell
Old 05-26-2023, 06:09 AM

With us it was also all about the dogs and we got a veranda that has the fenced in backyard we have a 2 car and a golf cart garage and it is barely enough room we are wanting a second golf cart but I like tools so there's not enough room I wish we had two 2 car garages because I will not park on the driveway I like the clean look of nothing on driveway parked
Old 05-26-2023, 06:11 AM

Check out the CYVs south of 44. They are newer with 2 car garages that you drive into straight, not curved like most of the earlier models. We are in our second CYV and moved primarily because the 1 1/2 car garage wasn’t large enough for our car and two golf carts. Also some of the two car garages have two single garage doors which makes the garage a little extra wide so there’s plenty of room to walk around the car and carts and store some things. VLS number 239471 in the Village of Hawkins is an example of this.
Good luck on your search!
Old 05-26-2023, 06:14 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

If your mind is made up and you absolutely want a fenced-in yard, then patio villas are not an option for you. However, if you decide to go the “patio villa route”, you can choose one close to a dog park (I’m just a few blocks away from one here in Richmond). Also, I went with the Topaz model, and very glad I did, as it is one of the few patio villas that has a full two-car garage - plenty of room for my mid-size car, golf cart, and soon to be built garage storage cabinets. I have lawn service, so no need to store lawnmowers, edgers, etc. Most of my neighbors have either one or one-and-a half car garages, which are very limited in space, or a one-and-a-half car garage with a separate golf cart garage, which is better, but still not as much overall-garage space as having a two-car garage. There is one patio villa floor plan (Moonstone), that has a two-car garage AND a golf cart garage - that would probably be the best option for those looking to maximize their garage space.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We find that garages here run rather small. It is tight to park two camrys in our two car garage.

Always worry my wife will remove our side view mirror backing out.
Hum, you are going to be embarrassed if someday you come walking in the house with the car side mirror in hand!!
Old 05-26-2023, 06:29 AM

As all the responders have indicated, it's a very personal situation. That said, you asked. In our case, we have a 2 car plus golf cart garage. A larger garage is the one thing that would motivate us to move. We did a pretty good job of downsizing and don't have anything stored in our attic nor do we pay for any additional storage. But you can simply never have too large a garage ... imho.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:36 AM

[QUOTE=CharlieK;2220878]Hello - My wife & I will be heading down for a Lifestyle visit in less than 2 weeks. Looking forward to checking out some houses - mostly CYV since we want a fence for the dog.

Any tips or tricks?

South of 44 there are 2 cr garage Courtyard villas and some of them even have two car garage plus golf cart.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We have the one and a half garage. The only difference between ours and those with 2 car garages is that we don’t have a lot of junk we don’t need
Closed Thread

Tags
car, garage, great, fit, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.