One Thing I Noticed about Smoking

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm with Donna -- I've tried almost everything under the sun to quit and have never been successful. Wellbutrin gave me migraines, upset my stomach and a few other nasty side affects. The patch gave me hives but it was working, darn the luck. The Nicotine gum just made me throw up. Hypnosis had zero effect. Acupuncture just made me nervous -- those needles scared me. lol Cold turkey was out of the question -- even my non-smoking husband at the time begged me to start again. The "witch" in my name fit very accurately, especially when you changed the w to a B. Gradual withdrawal just didn't exist in my mind. I may start checking into the laser treatment to see how it works, etc.

I wish I could quit. It's a waste of money, makes me smell yucky, affects my health and, most importantly, makes me a social pariah many times over. At the same sad time, it relaxes me, keeps me from wanting to kill someone on a bad day, is a great way to start a morning. I haven't given up on the concept of quitting, I just wish I could do it before I die.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

why would u want to quit something that makes you feel good...gn
Old 11-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Because the feeling good is only while I'm smoking at home, where it's quiet and private. I really do love going out front, sitting on my porch, reading the paper, planning my day, with my Coke (don't drink coffee) and a smoke. Otherwise, it is a way to alleviate the urge for nicotine, nothing else. The reasons for quitting far outweigh the joy of that morning cigarette. If only the need for nicotine was outweighed by something else.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Sage

Was a 3 pack a day smoker. During a physical in 1990, the nurse called in the doctor after giving me a breath volume test; he looked at the test results and said "you have a decision to make".

I quit cold turkey. Tough for a couple months but that ended it for good. I used to hate having to have a cigarette every 15 minutes and having to go outside to smoke.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

i'm thinkin the need for nicotine will soon be outweighed by the box they bury you in, sorry if i sound blunt but that's JMO...gn
Old 11-11-2010, 05:53 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Easiest way to quit. Start running. Yes the first day you only go 25 yards, fall into a coughing fit, think your going to die. But when you want that next one, grab the sneakers and try it again. This time you will make 50 yards and the progress improves and the pain and hacking gets less. Soon you will measure your distance in miles and the desire will be gone, the weight will drop, and sooner then you think you will be ready to run a marathon. It really does work.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Pics on Pack

Wait 'til the pictures on pack of cigs come out.....My Dad smoked with both hands (Chesterfield) 3 packs a day, died from complications of emphysema...I know it must be a tough habit to break....Glad I never started.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:09 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Wait 'til the pictures on pack of cigs come out.....My Dad smoked with both hands (Chesterfield) 3 packs a day, died from complications of emphysema...I know it must be a tough habit to break....Glad I never started.
Did he really smoke with a cigarette in each hand. Wow, that's lots of smoke. I smoked 3 packs a day til 1978. Then quite cold turkey. That was the 567th attempt. Never had another puff.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

I was a "situational" smoker but quit 30 years ago. I grew up with a parent who smoked...but back in those days it seemed like alot of people had the habit. Even movies depicted it. Remember the ads of the 50's??? Anyway...I now count myself among those who detest being around smoke. I believe I have asthma because it will spur me into coughing if it's too intense. I recently had a friend who passed away from a hideous death with lung cancer. She didn't smoke but cared for a mother who did...so I believe it was the 2nd hand stuff that got her. My FIL, a heavy smoker, passed away from emphasema...another hideous death. My point? It's a horrible and very expensive habit that doesn't have good health outcomes....and it does affect others!

It may be the smoker's "right" to do so...BUT it is an offensive habit. I've been reading about e-cigs (not quite sure what they are) that smokers are using to successfully quit. I would wish smokers well in their quests to quit!!
Old 11-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Gold member

Like Donna I quit for 6 months and thought I had it beat. Then in a bar one night I bummed a cigarette thinking I could smoke just one. An hour later I bought a pack from a machine. Then a day or two later bought a carton. I smoked for another 22 years.
15 years ago I got tired of the hypocrites in power in New York State who would scream about who terrible smoking is, then hike the taxes on smokes to raise money for most anything. It seemed that the only minority they could attack and tax with impunity was the smokers. That finally annoyed me enough that I quit. I used patches which made my arm burn like hell but I figured that was a price I had to pay.
My morning cough cleared up with a week and my endurance quickly improved. The weight thing has been difficult but it wasn't easy when I smoked either. I had no idea how badly I stunk until the odor wasn't there anymore. Now I absolutely detest the smell of smoke, as do most ex-smokers.
If I could do it, with my lack of will power and an addictive personality, anyone can do it. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Sage

I still remember when my dad, who smoked regularly from the first day I remember, was looking at a new car. He really wanted the car, but it was a little out of his price range. He calculated how much he was spending on cigarettes each month and realized it more than covered the car payment. Quit on the spot and never smoked again. Guess you have to have a good incentive.

Still, we lost him to lung cancer many years later.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

It would be nice if the Florida law banned smoking where food is served, inside or out. It is probably coming, because many states have done that. When I smoked i didn't like the smell when I was eating. So much of what you taste is what you smell.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Ever think about how much your taxes would go up if "magically" all smokers stopped buying cigarettes and paying the outrageous taxes they pay?

Just saying...
Old 11-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
Did he really smoke with a cigarette in each hand. Wow, that's lots of smoke. I smoked 3 packs a day til 1978. Then quite cold turkey. That was the 567th attempt. Never had another puff.
Naaa! But he was hooked BAD! and I guess in the long run, I smoked also (second hand)...here is a funny story....A friend was describing a ride home with his folks, dad flipped his cigarette butt out the window, came back in passenger window, at my friends lap who was 8 yrs old at the time, he decided to puff away until his sister "turned him in" , probably had to be there~Ha!
Old 11-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Sage

In order to avoid a lenghty post, let me just say that I lost a lot of family members due to smoking and then getting cancer and or heart disease. They always rationalized their own behavior.

I realize that smoking is a nervous habit/addiction, and one becomes addicted to nicotine. I do have one family member still alive as he quit several times. His experience was that you couldn't relax and say your only going to smoke one cigarette. He also had a relapse by smelling smoke from someone elses cigarette and couldn't resist the urge to have a cigarette.

IMHO - Everyone has the right to live their life as they see fit. I realize to quit is a very difficult thing to do but doesn't one owe it to themselves and love one's to try and stop?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.