Only electric - no gas?

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Default Only electric - no gas?

I was informed by a Villages sales representative that there is only electric service available in new home developments in The Villages. There is no natural gas in new home developments so all cooking, clothes dryers and home heating to be electric. Has anyone heard why that is the case? Also, any thoughts on cost comparison of all electric versus gas and electric?
Old 05-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Gas

Don't know for sure but it might have something to do about the gas lines running thru the attic. There have been a few fires caused by lightning strikes seperating gas lines in the attic. Have never had gas only electric. I can tell you this my electric bill is 1/2 of what I was paying up north for electric, Up north I had oil heat and hot water. Down here everything is electric and my bills are still half of what I was paying up north.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Veteran member
Question

We are in Duval, north of Odell. All of the homes are electric, but I have noticed gas pipes in some yards. Maybe the infrastructure is there.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Sage
Default Natural Gas vs All Electric TV Homes

walterray:

to TOTV.

You will find many posts on this subject if you do a search for "natural gas vs all electric TV homes".

Keep on posting!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

You are right. If you purchase a new home there'll "Beano" gas.

We are happy with our electric home. Seems the price of utilities is much lower than we are used too, even given the house is smaller than our Ohio one.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Sage

Gracie, that was really smooth.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Don't know for sure but it might have something to do about the gas lines running thru the attic. There have been a few fires caused by lightning strikes seperating gas lines in the attic. Have never had gas only electric. I can tell you this my electric bill is 1/2 of what I was paying up north for electric, Up north I had oil heat and hot water. Down here everything is electric and my bills are still half of what I was paying up north.
Skip,

The discontinuance of gas is not due to the fires. Running gas lines through the attic is standard code in Florida.

I was told by our sales rep that it was discontinued due to a failure to see eye-to-eye between the Morse family and the gas utility.

If you want gas for cooking, you can get LP providing your lot meets the standard for setback of the tank. This is what most folks with pools/spas do. We have LP as we wanted a gas range. I agree that the electric bills are a bargain compared with up north.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
.....I was told by our sales rep that it was discontinued due to a failure to see eye-to-eye between the Morse family and the gas utility. .....
Essentially the same story I got when I posed the question to a TV rep manning a booth at the "New Resident Orientation" back in February.

Now for a real head-scratcher:

Go to the two new neighborhood pools (Tamarind Grove and St. Charles) and wander around to where the pool heating equipment is located outside.........and you'll see gas lines/meters there! They run those heaters off natural gas. I asked a TV Recreation Dept. rep who was at the Tamarind Grove pool ribbon cutting a few months back about why they have natural gas piped in for the pool heaters but not the homes. 'Deer-in-the-headlights' response - he stammered through a non-answer....which tells me he knew more than he elected to divulge (which was essentially nothing).

Bill
Old 05-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Thanks I had a Sr. moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Skip,

The discontinuance of gas is not due to the fires. Running gas lines through the attic is standard code in Florida.

I was told by our sales rep that it was discontinued due to a failure to see eye-to-eye between the Morse family and the gas utility.

If you want gas for cooking, you can get LP providing your lot meets the standard for setback of the tank. This is what most folks with pools/spas do. We have LP as we wanted a gas range. I agree that the electric bills are a bargain compared with up north.
Kate your right I forgot " No kickback no deal" sad but true.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts
Default or buy pre-own

many of us have gas stove, dryer, hot water heater etc.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Veteran member

Like I have said many times, a pre-owned is a better deal than a new house. The bond is a lot lower or fully paid, no construction going on around you, you can negotiate price with the seller, mature landscaping, you do not have to buy upgrades from the builder, etc.

If you like gas appliances, like we do, a pre-owned home is the only way to go.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
.....If you like gas appliances, like we do, a pre-owned home is the only way to go.
FWIW: Sounds like propane might be an option after-the-fact. See bluedog103's post (#13) in the following thread:

Type of gas in the Villages?

Bill
Old 05-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
We are in Duval, north of Odell. All of the homes are electric, but I have noticed gas pipes in some yards. Maybe the infrastructure is there.
We're also in Duval north of O'dell...and we DO have natural gas.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Veteran member

I wonder if a person has to get approval from The Villages if they want a propane gas tank buried in their yard? I would also wonder if the neighbors (current or future) would also have to know about a buried propane tank next door?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Default Natural gas

I'm told that gas ended with pond side Duval and starting with pool side Duval only electric was offered to residents -- another Villages mystery -- Lucko

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.