Old Golf Cart Tires

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Question Old Golf Cart Tires

Will the trash pick-up in Sumter County take old golf cart tires and wheels? If not, how do you dispose of them?
Old 05-10-2011, 03:46 PM

I'll stop by and pick up a couple of tires on rims if you have them. I don't care if they are worn out as they are being used to identify tie downs so lawn mowers don't run over them. Let me know - thanks, Allan.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

To answer question 1, no the garbage guys won't pick them up. Surprises me since they pick up everything else. Sadly, I know of more than one TVer who has dumped their old tires at the tire store by Wal-Mart after hours. Don't know what they do with them or if they have to pay to dispose of them.

And Bowles, I have a couple of tires w/rims you can have. Just send me an email at redwitch90 @ yahoo.com (no spaces) and we can find a way to get together for you to get them.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-11-2011, 04:55 AM

I am looking at purchasing two new tires. My question, is it difficult to change the tires on a golf cart? I know they have people for that sort of thing, but I have changed a car tire a few times in my day and if it is not too difficult do not mind doing it myself. Any thoughts?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1954 View Post
I am looking at purchasing two new tires. My question, is it difficult to change the tires on a golf cart? I know they have people for that sort of thing, but I have changed a car tire a few times in my day and if it is not too difficult do not mind doing it myself. Any thoughts?
If you have one of those telescoping jacks it is simple. Just find a load bearing point and start the jack to secure it, loosen the four lug nuts and jack the cart up and change the tire.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

You need a jack, a semi-decent back and the ability to tighten the lug nuts. The only difference between changing the tires on a cart and a car is that the cart is lighter, the tires are lighter and the axle is smaller (so you have to place the jack a little more carefully). Really is pretty easy to do.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Sage

RobertJ ... yes, it can be a DIY project but you will still need to dispose of old tires. Dealers, shops, and repair guys will charge you a disposal fee.

Tires are considered a hazmat item (compressed air?) so trash folks won't pick them up and you can't just take them to the landfill. Their annual hazmat pickup amnesty day was in March so you'll have to go through an 'authorized' dealer/service for disposal....unless, like the original poster, you find someone who needs some used tires.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1954 View Post
do you mean change the tire off and on your rims at home? or have the tires put on your rims at the dealer and then changing the tire assy on the cart.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.