Only electric - no gas?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 AM
walterray walterray is offline
Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Only electric - no gas?

I was informed by a Villages sales representative that there is only electric service available in new home developments in The Villages. There is no natural gas in new home developments so all cooking, clothes dryers and home heating to be electric. Has anyone heard why that is the case? Also, any thoughts on cost comparison of all electric versus gas and electric?
  #2  
Old 05-10-2011, 08:34 AM
skip0358's Avatar
skip0358 skip0358 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,264
Thanks: 62
Thanked 269 Times in 96 Posts
Default Gas

Don't know for sure but it might have something to do about the gas lines running thru the attic. There have been a few fires caused by lightning strikes seperating gas lines in the attic. Have never had gas only electric. I can tell you this my electric bill is 1/2 of what I was paying up north for electric, Up north I had oil heat and hot water. Down here everything is electric and my bills are still half of what I was paying up north.
__________________
Patchogue, NY; Village of Bonita Sept.09
  #3  
Old 05-10-2011, 08:36 AM
elevatorman elevatorman is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Village Duval
Posts: 792
Thanks: 3
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Question

We are in Duval, north of Odell. All of the homes are electric, but I have noticed gas pipes in some yards. Maybe the infrastructure is there.
  #4  
Old 05-10-2011, 09:36 AM
2BNTV's Avatar
2BNTV 2BNTV is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,694
Thanks: 1
Thanked 102 Times in 39 Posts
Default Natural Gas vs All Electric TV Homes

walterray:

to TOTV.

You will find many posts on this subject if you do a search for "natural gas vs all electric TV homes".

Keep on posting!
  #5  
Old 05-10-2011, 09:46 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,126
Thanks: 2,816
Thanked 2,370 Times in 877 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

You are right. If you purchase a new home there'll "Beano" gas.

We are happy with our electric home. Seems the price of utilities is much lower than we are used too, even given the house is smaller than our Ohio one.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #6  
Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 AM
mulligan mulligan is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,804
Thanks: 4
Thanked 129 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Gracie, that was really smooth.
__________________
........American by birth....Union by choice
  #7  
Old 05-10-2011, 10:50 AM
katezbox's Avatar
katezbox katezbox is offline
Golden Sunrise Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Village of Bonita
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Don't know for sure but it might have something to do about the gas lines running thru the attic. There have been a few fires caused by lightning strikes seperating gas lines in the attic. Have never had gas only electric. I can tell you this my electric bill is 1/2 of what I was paying up north for electric, Up north I had oil heat and hot water. Down here everything is electric and my bills are still half of what I was paying up north.
Skip,

The discontinuance of gas is not due to the fires. Running gas lines through the attic is standard code in Florida.

I was told by our sales rep that it was discontinued due to a failure to see eye-to-eye between the Morse family and the gas utility.

If you want gas for cooking, you can get LP providing your lot meets the standard for setback of the tank. This is what most folks with pools/spas do. We have LP as we wanted a gas range. I agree that the electric bills are a bargain compared with up north.
__________________
Holyoke, Mass; East Granby, Monroe, Madison and Branford, Conn; Port Clyde, Maine; North Myrtle Beach, SC; The Village of Bonita (April 2009 - )
  #8  
Old 05-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Bill-n-Brillo's Avatar
Bill-n-Brillo Bill-n-Brillo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granville, OH.....and TV snowflakes!
Posts: 6,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
.....I was told by our sales rep that it was discontinued due to a failure to see eye-to-eye between the Morse family and the gas utility. .....
Essentially the same story I got when I posed the question to a TV rep manning a booth at the "New Resident Orientation" back in February.

Now for a real head-scratcher:

Go to the two new neighborhood pools (Tamarind Grove and St. Charles) and wander around to where the pool heating equipment is located outside.........and you'll see gas lines/meters there! They run those heaters off natural gas. I asked a TV Recreation Dept. rep who was at the Tamarind Grove pool ribbon cutting a few months back about why they have natural gas piped in for the pool heaters but not the homes. 'Deer-in-the-headlights' response - he stammered through a non-answer....which tells me he knew more than he elected to divulge (which was essentially nothing).

Bill
  #9  
Old 05-10-2011, 01:36 PM
skip0358's Avatar
skip0358 skip0358 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,264
Thanks: 62
Thanked 269 Times in 96 Posts
Default Thanks I had a Sr. moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Skip,

The discontinuance of gas is not due to the fires. Running gas lines through the attic is standard code in Florida.

I was told by our sales rep that it was discontinued due to a failure to see eye-to-eye between the Morse family and the gas utility.

If you want gas for cooking, you can get LP providing your lot meets the standard for setback of the tank. This is what most folks with pools/spas do. We have LP as we wanted a gas range. I agree that the electric bills are a bargain compared with up north.
Kate your right I forgot " No kickback no deal" sad but true.
__________________
Patchogue, NY; Village of Bonita Sept.09
  #10  
Old 05-10-2011, 03:09 PM
jebartle's Avatar
jebartle jebartle is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LaZamora Village
Posts: 3,999
Thanks: 80
Thanked 200 Times in 107 Posts
Default or buy pre-own

many of us have gas stove, dryer, hot water heater etc.
  #11  
Old 05-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Tbugs Tbugs is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Village of Glenbrook in The Villages
Posts: 890
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Like I have said many times, a pre-owned is a better deal than a new house. The bond is a lot lower or fully paid, no construction going on around you, you can negotiate price with the seller, mature landscaping, you do not have to buy upgrades from the builder, etc.

If you like gas appliances, like we do, a pre-owned home is the only way to go.
  #12  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Bill-n-Brillo's Avatar
Bill-n-Brillo Bill-n-Brillo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granville, OH.....and TV snowflakes!
Posts: 6,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
.....If you like gas appliances, like we do, a pre-owned home is the only way to go.
FWIW: Sounds like propane might be an option after-the-fact. See bluedog103's post (#13) in the following thread:

http://www.talkofthevillages.com/for...ad.php?t=35590

Bill
  #13  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:08 PM
philnpat's Avatar
philnpat philnpat is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Clifton Park, NY and soon to be Duval
Posts: 805
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
We are in Duval, north of Odell. All of the homes are electric, but I have noticed gas pipes in some yards. Maybe the infrastructure is there.
We're also in Duval north of O'dell...and we DO have natural gas.
  #14  
Old 05-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Tbugs Tbugs is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Village of Glenbrook in The Villages
Posts: 890
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I wonder if a person has to get approval from The Villages if they want a propane gas tank buried in their yard? I would also wonder if the neighbors (current or future) would also have to know about a buried propane tank next door?
  #15  
Old 05-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Lucko Lucko is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 148
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Natural gas

I'm told that gas ended with pond side Duval and starting with pool side Duval only electric was offered to residents -- another Villages mystery -- Lucko
__________________
Central Illinois + Duval
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.