OOMA - Home Phone Service

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2021, 03:09 PM
Default OOMA - Home Phone Service

Is anyone using the OOMA Home Phone Service for what we used to call a "Land Line"
If so, what is your opinion of the service? Are you satisfied with the sound quality? Have you had any problems with the overall operation of the system, like dropped calls or poor conections? Any suggestions and or comments would be most appreciated.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

It works just fine and fits the bill. Actually the 'bill' is about $5/mo - federal taxes. We have the ooma "land line" with 4 extension phones around the house. Also has voicemail. BUT - requires WIFI and electric. We've had ours for about 5 years and AOK. Also each have our cell phones.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,241 Posts

I used it for years, was very happy with the service.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:21 PM
Sage

We've used it for six years. Overall very happy with it. It has gone down occasionally, as when there is trouble with the Wi-Fi or the electricity is out, as another poster said. We have the premier service, which adds $10 to the monthly bill.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
I used it for years, was very happy with the service.
Ditto.
The 911 connection is well done.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:15 PM
Veteran member

Had our land line phone number switched over to Ooma a few years ago. Costs about $40 to port your number over, and the Ooma box itself runs about $80. Works great. We now take the Ooma box and our "land line" number with us back and forth. You can access any phone voicemails on your cell phone, or call on Ooma through the app as well. A great idea if you want to keep your land line phone nuumber.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTom View Post
Is anyone using the OOMA Home Phone Service for what we used to call a "Land Line"
If so, what is your opinion of the service? Are you satisfied with the sound quality? Have you had any problems with the overall operation of the system, like dropped calls or poor conections? Any suggestions and or comments would be most appreciated.
Have had it for about 7 years now, and love it. After buying the box (approximately $100) the monthly is $5-6 for tax only). I have premium at about $16 that allows fax and rings on my cell simultaneously when out of house. Sound is great.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:43 AM

[QUOTE=DeanFL;2032280].
It works just fine and fits the bill. Actually the 'bill' is about $5/mo - federal taxes. We have the ooma "land line" with 4 extension phones around the house. Also has voicemail. BUT - requires WIFI and electric. We've had ours for about 5 years and AOK. Also each have our cell phones.

Ditto for us.
6 years. No problems, minimal cost. If you have a power failure, of course, ooma will not function temporarily.

Old 11-22-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I have ooma for 11 yrs with premium service ($16 per month). Premium service also provides call blocking. Its a VOIP system and requires internet. I had to replace the ooma box about 5 yrs ago (I think an electrical surge may have damaged it). No other problems - works fine.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:21 AM
Default Spam (virtual) calls

Quote:
I have had VONAGE for over 15 years. Always liked it but now we get numerous spam calls everyday. Blocking doesn’t work because they just use a different number. Nomorobo stops a few calls but not many. So annoying that we may give up our landline. Is Ooma any better at stopping virtual calls?
Old 11-22-2021, 07:53 AM

We have it and love it. No problems in the two years we have used it. Sound is excellent. It doesn’t drop calls. I guess it might if your internet connection went out while using it.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:57 AM

My spouse and I have had OOMA for years. We couldn't get our mothers to call our cell phones and the land line was either a salesman or a mom...so OOMA reduced the price substantially. We will keep OOMA till we do not need it any longer and then go strictly cell.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:00 AM

I've been using Magic Jack for a couple of years now. $40 for the year. So far good calls, no dropped calls, Etc. Has all features included such as call forwarding, etc.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I have used it for almost eight years. I also use one in a second house. Can't beat the price and long distance in USA.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:45 AM

We've had Ooma since 2013. When we switched from Comcast home phone to Ooma, we saved over $45/month. Back then Ooma was rated #1 internet phone by Consumer Reports. You will need to purchase the base unit ($72 on Amazon) and pay $35 to have your phone # "ported" from your current service to Ooma. It took about a week. The monthly cost is just a bit over $5/month for the basic service which has served us just fine. According to Ooma, we've saved $3,851 since 2013. The only issues we've had are when either electricity or wi-fi go down.
Closed Thread

Tags
service, ooma, phone, home, dropped

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.