Open Exercise in Sport Pools

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Thanks for the information, that is encouraging. Don't mind the cold when getting out of the pool. Diving for lobsters in Rockport, MA next month and the water will be in the 40's. Just hate more than 2 people per lane when swimming laps. One other quick question, we are renting for a month to look for homes and understand that with my owners guest pass I can not use the sport pools. Is that true and if so, how can I possibly find out if the pools will fit my needs before buying?
Make sure you have the landlord transfer his/her resident ID cards that belong to that property, over to you. $50 transfer fee, well worth it. That is standard procedure for rental properties here.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts
Default Swimmer

Thanks for all the good information, looking forward to our visit and checking out the lap pools before buying. One more question, is it posted somewhere on-line when the pools are open for lap swimming time? Thanks
Old 03-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
...One more question, is it posted somewhere on-line when the pools are open for lap swimming time? Thanks
It's probably other places too, but it's in the Recreation News, the Thursday insert to the local newspaper...

http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/a...ews/index.html
Old 03-09-2015, 02:46 PM
Sage

My wife swims laps just about every day---close to a mile---there are lots of pools that are available for lap swimming
Old 03-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts
Default Open Exercise Rules

I spoke with a Colony Rec Center employee about "open exercise and walking with no lanes in". I was told swimming is certainly exercise so it is fine to swim laps during open exercise. I was also informed that walkers should NOT walk the width of the sport pool. Walkers should always walk in the lanes which are are marked on the bottom of the pool. I was also informed by the rec center person that if I see walkers gathering at the ends of the lanes I should politely request that they not block the lane. I'm not sure how I would approach a group of people who seem determined to make me feel unwanted in the pool if I were swimming laps.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I spoke with a Colony Rec Center employee about "open exercise and walking with no lanes in". I was told swimming is certainly exercise so it is fine to swim laps during open exercise. I was also informed that walkers should NOT walk the width of the sport pool. Walkers should always walk in the lanes which are are marked on the bottom of the pool. I was also informed by the rec center person that if I see walkers gathering at the ends of the lanes I should politely request that they not block the lane. I'm not sure how I would approach a group of people who seem determined to make me feel unwanted in the pool if I were swimming laps.
I feel your pain. Last time this happened to me, I stopped just short of running into them, stood up, smiled, lifted my goggles, and asked innocently "do you mind if I swim in this lane?" They moved aside and slinked away.

Sometimes I think they may not know that a lap swimmer needs the black line. At least, I'd like to think that. Sports pools are gigantic! There's more than enough space for everyone. No one should have to tell adults in which direction to walk. It should be intuitive, if not, the black lines should send a clear message.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I believe your question is about "Open" sessions, rather than "Combo" or "Lap" sessions.

When I tried doing laps in an Open session the (very few) walkers kept congregating for a chat at the end of my black pool line, forcing me to keep switching. Even though I was deliberately avoiding them while they were walking widths, they clearly resented someone swimming in "their" pool. All seemed rather petty and unVillagerlike, but that's how it goes here sometimes.

The definition of an Open session is open to interpretation, so you would be doing everyone a favor if you could get the official line and post it here.

What is not unclear is that, for combo and lap sessions, you are supposed to share your lane if all lanes are taken. Some people refuse to do this, but you can insist if you want to.

Each year, more and more combo sessions are replaced by organized activities with the result that less and less time is available for swimming.

I have suggested to Recreation that Laurel Manor - which has deeper water and diving boards and is thus a proper "swimming" pool, less suited to other activities - should have its lane-markers left in 24/7, but that fell on deaf ears.

To be fair, it is impossible to keep everyone happy, but I do think Recreation makes work for itself by constantly having to put in and take out lane markers.
I agree with you on this. I've noticed pools tied up with a lot Volleyball sessions in the afternoons, for example, aerobics classes in the morning. Laurel and Mulberry being deeper pools with wider lanes, really are more suited to lap swimming.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Veteran member

There is a logical reason for walking/jogging the width of the pool. It is because you can choose the appropriate depth for your height and the depth of the water remains consistent as you walk/jog. When you walk the length, you go through different depths. Believe it or not, it does make a difference when you are trying to maintain a consistent stride, especially for shorter folks and those who are struggling with balance issues. The water aerobics classes have you walk the width for that very reason. I walk and jog the width during open exercise, but only if I can do so without interfering with lap swimmers.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

There are so many pools, the regional ones in each village to name many, that water walkers can use. Lap swimmers need a deep 25 yard pool and many of us with joint replacements rely on lap swimming as our non weight bearing cardio exercise. Since there are far fewer sports pools in the villages than other "walker friendly" pools, it seems only fair to have the sports pools have lots of dedicated lap swimming time with the lanes in the pools.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
There are so many pools, the regional ones in each village to name many, that water walkers can use. Lap swimmers need a deep 25 yard pool and many of us with joint replacements rely on lap swimming as our non weight bearing cardio exercise. Since there are far fewer sports pools in the villages than other "walker friendly" pools, it seems only fair to have the sports pools have lots of dedicated lap swimming time with the lanes in the pools.
There have been many long and contentious threads about exercising in the neighborhood pools and I don't want to hijack this thread into a repeat discussion about that. But just to clarify in case you aren't aware...there are three types of swimming pool facilities in TV: adult neighborhood pools, family pools and the sports pools.

They are all designated for specific purposes. The only type of pools that are designated for exercising are the sports pools, and that includes water walking. Water walking is specifically stated as one of the possible types of exercise to be conducted during open exercise and combo swim time blocks, but it is not the only type of (non-swimming) exercise that takes place during those times.

I'm not sure what you are envisioning when you think of "water-walkers", but the type of walking that I and many others do is a fast-paced, long-stride, low-impact, lap-based cardio exercise. And there are others who are disabled or recovering from medical events where their only exercise option is to water walk and they don't need to be dodging around people who are standing or floating in the neighborhood pools.

I can't (or shouldn't) disrupt the the relaxing, floating and socializing aspect of the neighborhood pools by exercising in them anymore than I can disrupt the lap swimmers by relaxing and socializing in the sports pool. Everyone has different needs and wants when it comes to their time in the sports pools. And everyone can pretty much have what they want or need if they are willing to be flexible about their time and location of the sports pool.

Last edited by Skybo; 03-11-2015 at 01:54 PM. Reason: For clarity and to add some stuff
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.