Open the house at Night??????

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2019, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy n Ron View Post
Our windows have never been open in 7 years. We do keep the sliders open by the pool when the temp is 70-80 outside so as not to A/C the outside. We most certainly would never keep them open at night being on the ground floor, as this is a huge security issue for us. While it's not reported that there have been many home invasions here, why give anyone the opportunity? There are HUGE numbers of transient workers here from contractors to yard people. Residents don't know their backgrounds but anyone with a history of B and E will know who the easy targets are for opportunistic criminal behavior. Be careful out there!
My opinion is that it's "overkill" to keep yourself all shut up because you fear a home invasion. How the heck often has that happened in TV? Almost never.

Plus there are little devices that you can install that keep your windows from opening so far that someone could get in. We had them in our last house because a member of the police dept. came out and advised us on safety issues. We like to keep the garage window open to facilitate air flow.

There was a scare a number of years ago about people kicking in your front door easily in order to rob you. There are security items you can have installed that makes that next to impossible. Entrypoint store has them. There are ways to keep your sliders from being lifted out as well.

Some people in TV were so scared about ebola a few years back they wanted to close the borders, deny even Americans from returning home, and hide under their beds. I think there is a mindset of fear that is unnecessary in some areas. Maybe it comes from the area you are from. I'm sure people in big cities would be more concerned about robberies or home invasions.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Sometimes home invasion fear comes from past trauma, not necessarily from crimes in the area.

Last edited by Velvet; 04-30-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:52 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I don't have allergies (been tested several times) but if I open the windows for the night, I have a sinus headache by morning. For some reason having the windows open during the day is not a problem.

Somebody is probably smoking a cigar in your bed.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Somebody is probably smoking a cigar in your bed.
You're so bad.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
We are from Brooklyn so DH will not permit the windows open at night. He too worries about "beasties" -- but his beasties have only 2 legs and are attracted to anything that can be "fenced" like computers, tv's and jewelry. LOL

Leaving your windows open at night or whenever is like leaving your front door unlocked. You're asking for trouble.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:25 PM
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
My opinion is that it's "overkill" to keep yourself all shut up because you fear a home invasion. How the heck often has that happened in TV? Almost never.

Plus there are little devices that you can install that keep your windows from opening so far that someone could get in. We had them in our last house because a member of the police dept. came out and advised us on safety issues. We like to keep the garage window open to facilitate air flow.

There was a scare a number of years ago about people kicking in your front door easily in order to rob you. There are security items you can have installed that makes that next to impossible. Entrypoint store has them. There are ways to keep your sliders from being lifted out as well.

Some people in TV were so scared about ebola a few years back they wanted to close the borders, deny even Americans from returning home, and hide under their beds. I think there is a mindset of fear that is unnecessary in some areas. Maybe it comes from the area you are from. I'm sure people in big cities would be more concerned about robberies or home invasions.

Hmmmmm . . . It's interesting that all of those who said they would never leave a window open at night, no one said they were worried about being sexually attacked. Can you imagine??!?

OMG . . . Gulp. Did I really say that?????
Old 04-29-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
I was not a happy person when I discovered I could not open the top windows. I love the windows open as much as possible.

No big shock regarding the windows.

Did you really expect the developer to provide everyone with double hung windows The expense would have killed them!
Old 04-30-2019, 06:15 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

That was a moist night.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:39 PM

No....closed year round. Biggest allergen mold is prevalent day and night. Advice from doctors....keep them closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
night, open, house, humidity, pollen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.