Open Houses

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Unhappy That's Crazy

I would also want to steer clear of that area due to the close proximity to Wildwood - which is not Southern charm - but a rural, blighted area with lots of crime that might spill over to that section of The Villages. Lots of burglaries now of the appliances and hardware from the houses under construction around St. James.

I live in Buttonwood and have never heard of any problems. There was a home broken into in Liberty Park , however. This is a beautiful area. I asked the policeman about Wildwood and he did not agree that it was a high crime area.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Default Open houses

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzjay View Post
BillnBrillo: As usual
We're here for month of March. Will only build or buy new and probably in the newest areas of St James, Tamarind Grove or Sanibel (??) and do not feel uncomfortable at all. Yes, there will be lots of construction, but once an area of homes is fairly well built out, they will move to the next. I don't anticipate that we will hear that much from Brownwood Square being built in the area near Colony below 466A. If so, so be it---we'll cope.
sORRY, Have to correct my own post. The newest area of Sanibel (? - not positive on name) will probably be the furthest from Brownwood Square as it's starting near Colony so I would not anticipate lots of noise from its construction. Could be wrong, but we'll see. Just wanted to clarify that Brownwood will not be that near Colony.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

Oh, Wow! So many great suggestions! Thank you so much.

I'm only going to be in town for a week, but at least it will be a start. And who knows - maybe that dream house is just waiting for me.

I do have a couple of questions. In looking at the TV map, I don't see the Village of St. James although I do find the St. James Rec Center. Is St. James close by? Is St. James the newest Village? Where is Wildwood? Also, I see the Tamarind Grove Rec Center. Is that the area that is currently under construction?

If I'm looking at the map correctly, it appears the newer homes (2005 and later) are south of Lake Miona and Lake Sumter - is that true? Where is the new Town Square going to be?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor111947 View Post
Oh, Wow! So many great suggestions! Thank you so much.

I'm only going to be in town for a week, but at least it will be a start. And who knows - maybe that dream house is just waiting for me.

I do have a couple of questions. In looking at the TV map, I don't see the Village of St. James although I do find the St. James Rec Center. Is St. James close by? Is St. James the newest Village? Where is Wildwood? Also, I see the Tamarind Grove Rec Center. Is that the area that is currently under construction?

If I'm looking at the map correctly, it appears the newer homes (2005 and later) are south of Lake Miona and Lake Sumter - is that true? Where is the new Town Square going to be?

Thanks again for your help.
The homes in the Village of St. James will be close by the rec center. I don't know if it is THE newest village exactly as homes are being built all along that area where St. Charles, Tamarind Grove, and St. James are located......though I believe St. James will be the last village to be completed north of 466A.

If it's not shown on the map you're looking at, go to MapQuest, Yahoo Maps, etc. and look up Wildwood, FL. If you follow 466A west, it goes right into Wildwood as does 44.

Yes, the further south you go within TV, the newer the houses are.

Brownwood will be the new town square - located between 44 and 44a immediately west of Buena Vista Blvd.

Hope that helps!
Bill
Old 03-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
My advice is to start with the Villages agent for the first day or two. Do not sign anything to buy a house at that point. Next, go with the MLS agent for two days. I would really forget about the FSBO's since neither can show you those.

My advice also is to look at the re-sales. Lots of great houses in Virginia Trace, Caroline, Mallory Hill, Bridgeport at Lake Miona. I bought 18 months ago in Glenview and have a wonderful home built in 2002. Bond is almost paid as compared to $25000 bonds of new homes. Makes a big difference on the annual property tax bill.

My advice, again, is to steer clear of the areas under construction and what the agent will call the area near Brownwood. That is going to be under construction with heavy machinery and blowing dirt and noise for the next 4 years. You also do not get to negotiate prices as with a re-sale house. I
would also want to steer clear of that area due to the close proximity to
Wildwood - which is not Southern charm - but a rural, blighted area with lots
of crime that might spill over to that section of The Villages. Lots of burglaries now of the appliances and hardware from the houses under construction around St. James.
Thugs, do you have any facts to support your comments about Wildwood?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Send a message via ICQ to dpingram

Quote:
My advice is to start with the Villages agent for the first day or two. Do not sign anything to buy a house at that point. Next, go with the MLS agent for two days. I would really forget about the FSBO's since neither can show you those.

My advice also is to look at the re-sales. Lots of great houses in Virginia Trace, Caroline, Mallory Hill, Bridgeport at Lake Miona. I bought 18 months ago in Glenview and have a wonderful home built in 2002. Bond is almost paid as compared to $25000 bonds of new homes. Makes a big difference on the annual property tax bill.

My advice, again, is to steer clear of the areas under construction and what the agent will call the area near Brownwood. That is going to be under construction with heavy machinery and blowing dirt and noise for the next 4 years. You also do not get to negotiate prices as with a re-sale house. I would also want to steer clear of that area due to the close proximity to Wildwood - which is not Southern charm - but a rural, blighted area with lots of crime that might spill over to that section of The Villages. Lots of burglaries now of the appliances and hardware from the houses under construction around St. James.
Everytime a negative comment such as this is made it really angers me. We have spent alot of money building a beautiful home in Buttonwood. Crime will happen whenever an opportunity presents itself. I am sure that the good people of Wildwood would resent the collective generalization that has been given to them.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARBUCKSSAMMY View Post
Just to clarify a few items...in the Daily Sun each day The Villages has a map and listing of 12 new houses for sale. Every day that changes...you do not need a Village Rep or Realtor. Also, you have about 30-40 open houses of existing homes...again no Realtor or Rep needed. If you want to see new models (not for sale) you need to obtain a Village sales Rep.

After a couple of days you get the hang of it....you'll love it.
This is the best advice so far....AND don't be afraid that The Villages rep are going to pressure you. They won't. In fact they aren't going to drop everything and run around with you for two days,...I don't think. They have lots of appointments with other folks.

AND I think it is a tad easier to make friends in the newly built areas because everyone is on their "honeymoon" and each is just as new as the other and parties and gatherings are happening all of the time and the decorating of vacant houses and the buying of golf carts and all of that business of happily beginning a new life is shared. I LOVED that part. In fact when we buy again in a new area I hope it will be just as fun, but I doubt it since we are old owners of three years now...but JUST as happy.

Just do your homework by printing out the floor plans of the houses you like, I made a book of them.(Remember in MOST designers there are block and stucco and frame versions of the same floor plan and they are called different names, example, Gardenia and Camellia, the same house different outside finish.) Also note the prices difference in the same model and figure out why...it is always the view, or lack of it and the upgrades, granite, etc. on the already built homes. There are already built new homes you know.

Now the new areas are the western areas and southwest areas, of St. James, St. Charles, Buttonwood, Pennecamp...and that other village I can't remember that starts with a T...Terwind...something? No, that's not right.

There are those who like resales more, but I don't because I am not crazy about the tile, wall colors, add ons, wallpaper, etc. that most other people have chosen, (and the smell of smoking in some) and unless you get a real deal on the bond paid, you are going to have to lay out money to redo the house the way you want it. THAT IS JUST ME. I don't see that much difference between new and used in price. But some people love the art of negotiation which you cannot have on a new home. The price is the price.

It will be fun, and a little nerve wracking and don't feel like you HAVE to make a decision immediately. The same kinds of choices will be here next year.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

My advice, again, is to steer clear of the areas under construction and what the agent will call the area near Brownwood. That is going to be under construction with heavy machinery and blowing dirt and noise for the next 4 years. You also do not get to negotiate prices as with a re-sale house. I would also want to steer clear of that area due to the close proximity to Wildwood - which is not Southern charm - but a rural, blighted area with lots of crime that might spill over to that section of The Villages. Lots of burglaries now of the appliances and hardware from the houses under construction around St. James.
Look at your map.

Wildwood to the west is only slightly closer to the perimeter of The Villages than Leesburg to the east (well really Fruitland Park) if we are talking down (or up) 466A or 44 . The two older towns are eight miles apart and the southern part of TV is between them. LadyLake to the northeast has some crime to read about in the Daily Fun too, so you can worry if you want too, I don't think it is a BIG problem. The thefts of appliances from the new homes may in part be due to some folks knowing about the appliances installed....or not. Or a crime of opportunity from people knowing that folks aren't yet living in those homes. This is NOT a blighted area or close to a blighted area. It is just as safe as any part of The Villages, and just as beautiful...!!! And just as perfect. Please don't worry.

Anyone living in the southern part of The Villages will be sharing the dirty construction air for awhile, including Duval, Hadley, Hemingway, etc.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-12-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Theft of materials and appliances is common in large unguarded construction sites, everywhere. I was not aware of high incidence of burgularies in the Southern parts of TV other than construction areas. Can anyone bring us up to date. (Facts please)
Old 03-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post
Wow! What is this about? I bought land in St. James and certainly wouldn't think of building if it was a crime area. "Lots of burglaries now...."? Does anyone have any info about this or is it merely hearsay?
St. James is not a crime area. Neither is Tamarind Grove or Buttonwood, for that matter. What you read is hearsay, at best. I would classify it as an opinion.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
St. James is not a crime area. Neither is Tamarind Grove or Buttonwood, for that matter. What you read is hearsay, at best. I would classify it as an opinion.
I wasn't worried about crime rates, but I couldn't find St. James and Tamarind Grove on my map (other than the Rec Centers) so it may be my Villages Map is out of date - probably as soon as it's printed it's obsolete. At any rate, it brought a question to my mind as to where the boundary lines are of the Villages when it is finally completely built. Is there a projected map anywhere?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:40 PM

Someone posted that the Daily Sun lists a number of Open Houses every day. I'm looking at the on-line version and can't find any listings. Am I looking in the wrong place or is the on-line version different than the paper version?

Once again thanks to all for your helpful comments/suggestions.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:01 PM

wiodwood is to the west and leesbugr is east
Old 03-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Platinum member

Online version of Daily Sun is only partial. Need to get the paper itself.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor111947 View Post
I wasn't worried about crime rates, but I couldn't find St. James and Tamarind Grove on my map (other than the Rec Centers) so it may be my Villages Map is out of date - probably as soon as it's printed it's obsolete. At any rate, it brought a question to my mind as to where the boundary lines are of the Villages when it is finally completely built. Is there a projected map anywhere?
Maps? Have I got maps for you!

Simple map of the villages in The Villages
http://thevillages4rent.com/maps/

The next two are very detailed. They are slow to load and you will probably want to zoom in.
South of 466
http://www.districtgov.org/yourdistr...es%20South.pdf

North of 466
http://www.districtgov.org/yourdistr...es%20North.pdf

Finally, at this time only Mapquest shows the streets in Buttonwood, Tamarind Grove and St. James. Go to mapquest.com and search for 32162.

Have fun!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.