Open Houses

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

For you to ponder about crime in TV.

Last year about this time our grandson who was visiting had an asthma attack in the middle of the night.

We took him to Sharon Morse Hospital and he was fine in a short time...

And I was so taken that on the way home, about 4:00 in the morning, two attractive, but older women joggers were jogging down Morse boulevard, each alone.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-11-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Maps? Have I got maps for you!

Simple map of the villages in The Villages
http://thevillages4rent.com/maps/

The next two are very detailed. They are slow to load and you will probably want to zoom in.
South of 466
http://www.districtgov.org/yourdistr...es%20South.pdf

North of 466
http://www.districtgov.org/yourdistr...es%20North.pdf

Finally, at this time only Mapquest shows the streets in Buttonwood, Tamarind Grove and St. James. Go to mapquest.com and search for 32162.

Have fun!
Thanks for the links to the maps.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Last year about this time our grandson who was visiting had an asthma attack in the middle of the night.

And I was so taken that on the way home, about 4:00 in the morning, two attractive, but older women joggers were jogging down Morse boulevard, each alone.
Gracie, you said a mouthful as far as I am concerned about crime when two people are out and about at 4 in the morning.

It reminded me of growing up in the fifty's and we could walk around the neighborhood without a care about someone approaching and hurting someone.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Maps? Have I got maps for you!

Simple map of the villages in The Villages
http://thevillages4rent.com/maps/

The next two are very detailed. They are slow to load and you will probably want to zoom in.
South of 466
http://www.districtgov.org/yourdistr...es%20South.pdf

North of 466
http://www.districtgov.org/yourdistr...es%20North.pdf

Finally, at this time only Mapquest shows the streets in Buttonwood, Tamarind Grove and St. James. Go to mapquest.com and search for 32162.

Have fun!
Here's another map - shows a graphic for all the new/upcoming development that will be south of 466A. Also shows where Brownwood will be - to the west between 44 and 44a. Interestingly enough, it also give indication as to the progression of development in Districts 9 and 10 (see Phase 1 and 2 for each):

http://www.districtgov.org/yourdistr...-Districts.pdf

Bill
Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Veteran member
Default choice of wrong word

In my earlier post, I did say Wildwood was rural and blighted. The word blighted was incorrect. My apology.

However, Wildwood does have a high violent and property crime rate. Go to www.neighborhoodscout.com to check it out.

I am not implying that The Villages is unsafe by any means. I live in Glenbrook and I have never felt as safe as I do here. I love living in The Villages and would never talk against it.

However, where The Villages is expanding, will end up at Hwy 44. That area is right next to Wildwood. The Villages currently ends at Hwy 466A - very close to Wildwood.

This forum is for opinions. It is my opinion that I would rather live well in the interior of The Villages rather than to be on the edges near Wildwood.

If I offended or upset anyone, I do apologize. However, please do check out carefully www.neighborhoodscout.com for all the statistics and writeup about Wildwood. The crime index in Wildwood is 14 (with 100 being safest) and the violent crime rate is 10.67 per 1,000 while the national violent crime rate is 4.7. Wildwood town limits come right up to The Villages property limits on 44.

Last edited by Tbugs; 03-11-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Sage

466A is where it stops now TBugs. Duval and Hadley are right on 466A as will be St. James. 44 will be where it ends at buildout.. And that is down a piece (as we say in Ohio) from Wildwood.

The maps are good references.

Wildwood per this report is slightly higher in violent crimes than Florida and slightly lower in property crimes than Florida.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

I think it would be naïve to assume the Villages exists in a cocoon that makes it exempt from crime. I do think that the demographics of the Villages make it less likely to experience certain types of problems like drug related crimes, armed robberies and domestic abuse (although I know that happens regardless of lifestyle). I did notice that the areas surrounding the Villages are generally less affluent, but I’m not sure how that poses a threat to the Villages. In fact, the Villages probably has helped the outlying areas by providing better jobs and schools.

The bottom line is that crime exists everywhere and we need to take precautions to ensure our safety no matter where we live. I’m not sure I would go jogging at 4am, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they had pepper spray or mace. One of the things that impresses me about the Villages is the impression I have that people take watch out for each other. It’s a reassuring feeling.

And sometimes there is nothing you can do – I was recently burglarized. I have an alarm system on windows and doors on the first floor, but who would have thought that someone would put a 12 foot ladder up to my 2nd floor bathroom window (which was open) and gain access that way.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:29 AM

I'll be moving to Buttonwood sometime this fall. Don't worry about the crime, I'll take care of it!

Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post

This forum is for opinions. It is my opinion that I would rather live well in the interior of The Villages rather than to be on the edges near Wildwood.
This forum is for opinions, of course. I don't think that living on the perimeters of The Bubble is unsafe. However I do agree that living well in the interior of The Villages may be a preferred location for many people.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor111947 View Post
Thanks for the links to the maps.
This was wonderful information, and will certainly help us when we come up in August. The thing I have found the hardest, when visiting before, was looking at ads for houses and going, where is that? Thanks so much, what a boon to househunting.

Lee and Richard in Tampa, for now.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Gold member

Actually, all of the western most villages between Lake Miona and State Rd. 44A are or will border the town of Wildwood.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdodge View Post
wildwood is to the west and leesburg is east
I think I remember GG telling me that as far as she's conerned, North is the front of her car and South is the back of it.

Last edited by EdV; 03-12-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
I think I remember GG telling me that as far as she's conerned, North is the front of her car and South is the back of it.
sigh. We used to get along.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdodge View Post
wiodwood is to the west and leesbugr is east
You are right and so is EdvinMass and I don't even drink.

Sorry.

I have corrected my post.

I used to be really good in geography.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Gracie,

That is a reassuring post for a single woman contemplating moving to TV in the future. I don't think I would jog in my neighborhood at 4 a.m. alone, and my suburb is considered fairly safe for the Chicago area.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.