An Open Letter To The Villages Development Corporation and The Villages Air Gun Club

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
I live in a village served by the Rio Grande Postal Station and visit there most every day.

For approximately a year, I have noticed and discussed with my neighbors the situation where the VDC, in concert with the VACG, intends to expand the gun range. I enjoy a walk through the field adjacent to the gun range as the field is a natural habitat for the eagles and the gopher tortoise population, both protected Florida species.

I understand that a section of the field was sold to the VDC for the project. I have seen the surveyor's stakes.

Now, we are advised that construction will begin on March 23rd and that entry is prohibited to "this area".

All of this has occurred with an expenditure of "our" Amenity Fee funds, to the sum of $466,386.00.

I call on the VDC and the VACG to put this project on hold.

During this time of national emergency. wouldn't the money be better spent helping others?

Here is my suggestion.

The VDC starts a not for profit operation that delivers items and food to the shut-ins, infirm and needy in The Villages. The VDC and volunteers can use their vast business, organizational, and technology talents to ramp-up this venture ASAP.

A portion of the one-half million dollars could provide income to the wage earners whose lively hood has been affected by the closings. Some could collect the items, others could do the delivery, a few would handle the calls and emails. Only those aid recipients would be served after being verified from a home visit or a doctor's affidavit.

Think of the goodwill to both the VDC and the VACG from the positive press received.

And, VDC, think of the tax benefits.
This is a wonderful idea! Seems like a no-brainier. A win-win for all!
Old 03-20-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Why are you walking in an environmental nesting area in the first place
Before you question the area, tell me, have you been there to see the enviroment?
Old 03-20-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Isn't that private property?
The owner of the property is nice enough to welcome the villagers and understands the pleasure we dog owners enjoy on his/her property.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:05 AM

You might really want to ask what the Morse family is doing to help out all the businesses here in The Villages. I'm sure they will do something but I've not heard anything yet.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodbob View Post
You might really want to ask what the Morse family is doing to help out all the businesses here in The Villages. I'm sure they will do something but I've not heard anything yet.
So far Da Family has demonstrated the same amount of leadership as Governor DeSantis.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
There is no technically trespassing..Either you are or your not
No grey area......
For you to be charged with trespassing, the property owner needs to post “no trespassing “ signs spaced according to State regulations ......

Go here for details , Google “no trespassing sign requirements florida”
Old 03-20-2020, 09:26 AM
theruizs

I don’t think it is very well understood how various things are paid or where the money comes from. Not everything is paid for from amenity fees. And I would think what those fees do pay for is pretty well set and would take quite a bit of time to change. The developers or whoever cannot just drop plans already made that may have contracts or other agreements/restrictions governing them. Yes, I still hope the developers will also consider devoting some of their considerable profits to helping others during this crisis.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:59 AM
Default Gun Range Expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
I live in a village served by the Rio Grande Postal Station and visit there most every day.

For approximately a year, I have noticed and discussed with my neighbors the situation where the VDC, in concert with the VACG, intends to expand the gun range. I enjoy a walk through the field adjacent to the gun range as the field is a natural habitat for the eagles and the gopher tortoise population, both protected Florida species.

I understand that a section of the field was sold to the VDC for the project. I have seen the surveyor's stakes.

Now, we are advised that construction will begin on March 23rd and that entry is prohibited to "this area".

All of this has occurred with an expenditure of "our" Amenity Fee funds, to the sum of $466,386.00.

I call on the VDC and the VACG to put this project on hold.

During this time of national emergency. wouldn't the money be better spent helping others?

Here is my suggestion.

The VDC starts a not for profit operation that delivers items and food to the shut-ins, infirm and needy in The Villages. The VDC and volunteers can use their vast business, organizational, and technology talents to ramp-up this venture ASAP.

A portion of the one-half million dollars could provide income to the wage earners whose lively hood has been affected by the closings. Some could collect the items, others could do the delivery, a few would handle the calls and emails. Only those aid recipients would be served after being verified from a home visit or a doctor's affidavit.

Think of the goodwill to both the VDC and the VACG from the positive press received.

And, VDC, think of the tax benefits.

Our Amenity fees should not be used for charity work. Those fees are charged to take care of the various green spaces, exec golf courses, etc. If you want to raise funds for the purposes you mentioned above, hold a fund raiser. I contribute significantly to my church to cover charity outreach. That is not the purpose of Amenity fees.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

When I was in the military the V.D.C was down at M.O's block.
We use to call it the C.L.A.P house.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:36 PM

I took my afternoon walk to the postal station and much to my amazement a gent in a Community Watch pickup was parked directly in front of the entry to the field where construction tape has been draped to prevent entry. Talking with the gentleman, he related that he was responding to reports of vandalism -- someone had removed some of the tape to walk onto the field. However, he was still sitting in his truck when I left the station. Was he guarding the entry?

This morning I walked out into the field hoping that the Florida Wildlife Commission (FWC) , in their attempt to protect the tortoises, had visited the field to locate and "stake" the burrows.

Since the fields are mowed, FWC (or its agent) had previously staked burrows behind the Savannah Center and along the powerline cut where the MMP travels northwest from Springdale to the Mulberry Rec Center.

I also noticed another burrow, 40+/- yards due east of the air gun range.

If construction commences on March 23rd, I will notify FWC with my request to sanction and fine The Villages and The Villages Air Gun Club.

BTW, I am a wildlife conservationist not a militant!

Someone has to protect our dwindling habitat and wildlife. You don't like what I am writing, tough.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGee View Post
Before you question the area, tell me, have you been there to see the enviroment?
Old people trespassing with dogs running around on environmental area
Old 03-20-2020, 05:33 PM

The area in question is about 100 acres. I believe it is zoned as vacant residential. It is presently farmed for hay. It is platted into about 160 parcels most of which are less than half an acre. About 25% of the parcels are owned by private individuals who rumor says are OK with folks enjoying the natural area for hiking and dog walking. Duke energy own a large swath over which they run high tension power lines and support several towers. The Villages of Lake-Sumter Inc. owns most of the rest of the land parcels. The land adjacent to the Rio Grand postal center, air rifle range, and the croquet/bowling lawn are owned and controlled by The Villages. I do not believe it is a environmentally protected area although there is a variety of wildlife living there. There are also several footpaths through the land that most people stay on. I've never seen anyone tease, abuse, or otherwise annoy any of the wildlife in this area.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Old people trespassing with dogs running around on environmental area
Only thing worse is old people without a clue.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwf6325 View Post
Our Amenity fees should not be used for charity work. Those fees are charged to take care of the various green spaces, exec golf courses, etc. If you want to raise funds for the purposes you mentioned above, hold a fund raiser. I contribute significantly to my church to cover charity outreach. That is not the purpose of Amenity fees.
I agree with this. Charity is different from amenity fees. I do not believe that amenity fees should be collected under false pretenses. Each one of us can and should decide what we individually donate to charity. I do not like these decisions made for me.

But charities are very important, we never know when we will need one. Also studies have shown that generosity increases our level of happiness. We share in the joy of those we help.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGee View Post
The owner of the property is nice enough to welcome the villagers and understands the pleasure we dog owners enjoy on his/her property.
Who's the owner ?

Tags
vdc, vacg, field, villages, gun

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.