Opening windows on a nice day

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Default Opening windows on a nice day

I'm curious, On a day like today, from what I've seen online the dewpoint is low and the humidity also. Does everyone open their windows? I've heard from people here that you can never open your windows in Fl. Why would you move there.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Except for a few cool days, my windows are open every day, and our bedroom window is cracked open every night. The breezes are heavenly.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Platinum member

Sliding doors wide open today and most days. If we open the front door with a screen we have a wind tunnel which cools on warmer days.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Veteran member

Our windows have been open for at least the past three weeks. We get an absolutely heavenly breeze when we have the garage and lanai doors open.
We do have the sliding screens on the garage to keep the critters out. Best investment we ever made and I really am surprised that more Villagers don't have them!
Believe me...if we couldn't open our windows, we wouldn't be here!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default windows

Windows open,sliding door open even had retractable screen installed on front door so we can leave that open.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Retractable Overhead Screen door

I have really enjoyed my retractable overhead screen door. It was installed by Thumper (352 245 5892) who produces a quality product and provides on the spot servicing. I have mentioned his name to a number of people who had thumper install a unit and not one negative comment and in fact talked him up. I don't normally pass along names but this one is well deserved.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Veteran member

By all means, open those windows!! There will be days in the summer when it will be too hot but it is wonderful right now.

The posts about the retractable screen doors are 100% right. You do have to keep those little Florida critters out but the air is great.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Veteran member

We have a screen door on the front-door and one on the patio-door as well. We open the windows every chance we can get. They were open all during those 80-degree weather we just had. Closed them when the cold-front came through but we have them open again. We are used to cool sleeping so crack the window on cooler nights (NOT cold). Open your windows and "enjoy"!!!! Probably won't do it when it's HOT and MUGGY (humid)!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesotalyn View Post

Does everyone open their windows? I've heard from people here that you can never open your windows in Fl. Why would you move there.::
People have been telling you that you can't open your windows in Florida? I think someone has been pulling your leg.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Gold member
Default Open windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesotalyn View Post
I'm curious, On a day like today, from what I've seen online the dewpoint is low and the humidity also. Does everyone open their windows? I've heard from people here that you can never open your windows in Fl. Why would you move there.
We too like our winows open in the cool weather. Just gotta be careful if you are allergic to pollen this time of year.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We love our windows open, but the pollen is bothering our Helene right now. Since we are still snowbirds, we are trying to decide if taking her to the allergists here is wise, since then we will go North about when she gets desensitized to the pollens here which are different to the pollens there.

Windows open at this time of the year are heavenly here.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
People have been telling you that you can't open your windows in Florida? I think someone has been pulling your leg.
I figured in the late fall and early spring you could, but we still have people here that don't want us to move to Florida and will say the darnest things.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Gold member

We have front porch and lanai screened. I have a humidity gauge in house and when it shows humidity low outside I go ahead an open both those doors for a nice cross breeze.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 03-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

You couldn't pay me to open the windows during the rainy season (kinda missed that last year), but right now, I'd die if I couldn't open my windows and slider. No question the pollen is high (and miserable) but some things are worth it. I left walnut and eucalyptus trees and traded their pollen for oak tree pollen -- oak tree pollen ain't half as bad. And, yes, people really will say the darndest thing to keep you where you are (don't listen or, better yet, drag 'em down here so they can change their minds and move here, too).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
You couldn't pay me to open the windows during the rainy season (kinda missed that last year), but right now, I'd die if I couldn't open my windows and slider. No question the pollen is high (and miserable) but some things are worth it. I left walnut and eucalyptus trees and traded their pollen for oak tree pollen -- oak tree pollen ain't half as bad. And, yes, people really will say the darndest thing to keep you where you are (don't listen or, better yet, drag 'em down here so they can change their minds and move here, too).
Is it true that there is a pollen going around called Redwitch that if we get it in our homes we have to hire you to Dee-tox the place? The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.