OPINION: Living ON a golf course, water, or nature?

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2020, 08:29 PM

Alligators climb fences no problem: Alligator climbs fence in Florida - YouTube

Coyotes climb walls no problem: Coyote Vs Cat - YouTube
Old 10-23-2020, 06:37 AM
Veteran member

We have lived on the golf course for the past 11 years and love it. Beautiful open space. sunsets every night, 180 degree unobstructed views, including a pond from our lanai and most of the rooms in our home . We could never live in a walled in property or be so close to our neighbor that we know their life story. The only house we see is a neighbors 3 houses away. Even our first home here, a villa, had no wall in the back because it was on the golf course. The majority of golfers are great and friendly. Every once in a while you get the entitled golfer who doesn't understand the concept of private property, but not too often. We even offer Champagne if we see someone get a hole-in-one. Now for everyone, but it is for us.

"I have never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."

Last edited by bilcon; 10-27-2020 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-25-2020, 05:11 PM
Default I don't get updates via email BECAUSE I POSTED A THREAD?!?

HELP?!? I didn't get any of these nice input replies via email. I used to get a daily digest. I get nothing and had to hunt quite a bit to even find MY OWN POST!?!? This site is not easy to navigate.

ANY TIPS: How do I get a daily digest of the forum sent to email again?

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Most water lots in TV are nothing more than drainage ponds. The water level vary drastically. When water levels go low aquatic weeds go wild and you are now looking at a marsh. Do your homework here and talk to neighbors before a purchase offer. Golf course lots are an easy formula. For the most part your view is protected - most likely it will remain a golf course and not another neighborhood (putting this apartment debacle issue aside for a moment). The don'ts of a golf course lot are:
1 - not on a tee unless you like listening to swearing
2 - not adjacent to the cart path
3 - not on the right side of a hole unless more than 300 yards from the tees.
4 - If you are a late sleeper golf course lots are not for you.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleprice View Post
Our house backs up to a Nature Preserve and we love it. We have no problems with alligators or bugs, although a shy tortoise occasionally visits our yard. We love the privacy and enjoy seeing different birds, including Hawks, Eagles, Owls, Cardinals, Blue Jays and Sandhill Cranes that visit the preserve.
Where do you live? Are there houses for sale? I'm looking for a simple / not expensive home for 1 plus doggy!
Thx
M
Old 10-25-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbogli View Post
What sold us on our home was the conservation area across the back, no homes behind us at all.nice and private and what a view of lots of plants, flowers and the other side of the area is all big oak trees. We feel like we live in the country! We have no problem with bugs, sometimes the frogs get a little loud we get lots of visits by all kinds of birds, even the cranes come sometimes. We don't have pets but do have grands that visit so a water view would be out because of the gators! We turned down a home that was on the golf course because of the lack of privacy.

Where do you live? Are there houses for sale? I'm looking for a simple / not expensive home for 1 plus doggy!
Thx
M
Old 10-25-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvillager View Post
We have backed up to a horse pasture for 10 years and the lanai faces east. Horses better neighbors than golfers. Sometimes smells like a horse but no big deal. Prefer an north or east facing lanai to avoid the heat. Two drawbacks are it could be developed someday and an occasional critter.

Thx
M
Old 10-25-2020, 05:35 PM

Thx
M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
We have a lot below 466a with a nice size pond very close behind us with golf on the other side of the pond. We absolutely love it. When we started to look, this type of lot wasn't on our list but when we came across it the view clearly made our decision easy. The water lot wasn't cheap, by any stretch of the imagination, but every day we look at the view and wild life for breakfast and dinner on our Lania we know it was the right decesion. We did 3 years of looking and reasearch before we finally purchased this house. I'll share with you a few notes on what we like about the lot.

Its very enjoyable watching the wildlife. This includes a large variety of birds, ducks, pelicans, eagles, cranes, and yes every once in a while a gator. Yes there is a gator that comes into the pond but not often and they don't really bother us at all. Their arrival makes the day a little more interesting and gives us a little something to talk about. A few of our neighbors have small dogs and the rare gator hasn't been an issue (one actually moved across the street to have the water view)
Our pond is clear and the level is very steady >it doesn't vary much at all (Even durning the last hurricane) Bugs are not a issue. Since the golf course is on the other side of the pond the golfers try real hard to avoid the water and we haven't had a ball on our lot in 7 years. The golf path and T box are on the other side of the pond also and far enough away to not present even a small problem. We enjoy watching the golfers from afar (but close enough to wave to neighbors playing ) and often use the lack of golfers to tell us when we can run over to the starter shack and jump on for 9 holes after an early dinner. Golf course mowing is also not an issue; the grass cutting of our own lawn is more anoying when they decide to do it in the early morning. The golf course has 7 palm trees behind us we don't have to maintain and a cluster of large oak trees on the far side or the pond. Sunsets many evenings are unbelievable!
Old 10-25-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave from deland View Post
We live on a cul de sac backed up to a state nature preserve (gopher tortoises). It will never be developed. The tortoises don't make any noise and there is wire fencing along the base of the Villages wooden fence to keep them out, although newly hatched ones get through from time to time. Just put them back. Have no problem with bugs and privacy to the rear.

Thx
M
Old 10-25-2020, 05:38 PM

Thx
M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
Lived for fifteen years backing up on a 12-acre pine forest which was behind a small farmhouse. The neighboring property was not owned by The Villages, but we did the research and concluded there was virtually no chance it would be developed. Beautiful and we couldn’t be happier. The only occasional problem was after occasional and infrequent heavy rains, rats would be forced from their normal, preferred habitat in the woods, closer to our house. But a few days of dry weather and some traps set and maintained but Massey fixed that problem quite satisfactorily.

Golf course lots aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. Other than stray golf balls, the noise of golf carts, and golfers hitting from too close to your house, the biggest problem might be the stench of the pond water used for irrigation. It’s the same water used to water your lawn, but maybe the amount heavily sprayed on the golf courses exacerbates the malodorous stink when they water the courses.

Maybe there’s no “perfect” lot, but ours has been pretty doggone nice for the entire time we’ve lived here. And the pine trees have grown bigger, thicker, and more attractive over the years!

Do your research!
Old 10-25-2020, 05:40 PM

Where do you live? Are there houses for sale? I'm looking for a simple / not expensive home for 1 plus doggy! I have no idea how to connect directly, much less WHY this site took away my daily digest as soon as I post THIS ONE TIME!?!? Ugh!

Thx
M

Quote:
Originally Posted by prminna View Post
Perhaps, we should chat as we live on a beautiful large pond w/n the "Golden Triangle". We spent much time on chosing the right location on a pond---quite peaceful with great views. Franky, the pond setting is the best option to great living in The Villages. Family needs are causing us to sell. How should we connect?

PRM
Old 10-25-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
so many good replies posted. we chose the wildlife area, no ponds, close to golf course. if you love animals, there's no better place to be. 1st week here we had a family of sandhill cranes strolling thru the yard observing US, lol

Thx
M
Old 10-25-2020, 08:32 PM

We live in the Village of Santo Domingo, just off of Madero. There are currently several attractively homes that are for sale in the area, although many of them are not backed up to the nature preserve. However, a couple of the homes that are for sale actually do back up to the nature preserve.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

Always amusing to hear areas with power grid towers or giant cell phone antennas being called "nature preserves".
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, nature, crocs, love, bugs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.