Opinions on dog treats

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2021, 10:49 AM
Gold member

My dog will only eat a treat shaped like a cat...
Old 01-27-2021, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Back in the bad old days, before animal convenience foods were invented, our house dogs survived on what we left, (which wasn't much) boiled veg peelings, stale bread, plus horse meat, whale meat, or offals if available.
Funny thing was, they were lean, mean, and unlike many dogs today, exceedingly healthy.
Most of todays dog troubles are from overfeeding, and processed foods.
JMTC
Old 01-27-2021, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinganimals View Post
I would like to know if shape plays into your decision to buy dog treats. I have a dog treat business and making bones or paw shapes takes 3 times as long as making simple flower shapes with a decorating tip. If you ordered treats, would it make a difference to you, as long as they were tasty and the dogs loved them?
I do not own a dog but have in the past.

I've told dog owners that if I am reincarnated I want to come back as a Villagers dog.
Just in case, I do not want any bows or costumes. A stroller-come now. Oh and as to the rain. You have a weather report on the radio. You do not smell good when you get wet.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:27 AM

I can guarantee you that while people will tell you logically shape doesn’t matter, it does sub consciously. It can also be the tie breaker when all else is equal. Look at your own sales for answers, what proportion are dog type shapes? Just look at the dog biscuits at the grocery store...they spend millions to tell them that answer.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:35 AM

My dog is small (12 pounds). I look for healthy, lower calorie ingredients without additives. Your treat seems to have a chocolate chip in the center. You will find that many people do not feed their dogs any chocolate. They sure look tasty.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Shape doesn’t matter to me or my dog. Size of treat does, as she’s on a diet.
I agreed with Bjean on the shape but I do care about the size. Dachshunds are prone to gain weight. I avoid buying hard treats because they are hard to cut in half. I prefer soft treats so I can split in half for my two doxies.

Last edited by Willow&Darla; 01-27-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:44 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,062 Times in 531 Posts

Neither my dog or I care about what treats look like, I care what's in them, he doesn't even care about that. He's a big dog, I got give two little dog treats at bedtime. No dyes. All natural. I make him treats sometimes, they aren't pretty.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:27 PM
Send a message via AIM to Tsalla Apopka
Default Ingredients

Good ingredients and hold together well in your pocket and not be messy. The dog goes by smell.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:40 PM

Nope, the shape doesn't matter as long as the treat is healthy and good for him.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:58 PM

I buy either beef or calf liver and dehydrate in my oven for treats. They get crunchy and my 2 dogs and all the neighborhood doggies love them also!
Store treats are so processed ☹️
Old 01-27-2021, 04:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinganimals View Post
I would like to know if shape plays into your decision to buy dog treats. I have a dog treat business and making bones or paw shapes takes 3 times as long as making simple flower shapes with a decorating tip. If you ordered treats, would it make a difference to you, as long as they were tasty and the dogs loved them?
I do wonder why you are asking. You should know what sells and what does not.
You are selling to people not to dogs. I expect milk bones are far less expensive than what you are selling. You are not the only one making these things. You really should visit competitors, see what they are doing, see what they charge. I know nothing about what you are doing. Perhaps, there are faster ways to do what you are doing.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAT777 View Post
I buy either beef or calf liver and dehydrate in my oven for treats. They get crunchy and my 2 dogs and all the neighborhood doggies love them also!
Store treats are so processed ☹️
An idea for you. I'm sure you can find one. I had a plastic rack for drying fruit. At the time, I had a small garden and tons of raspberries and strawberries. A microwave is far faster,
less expensive to run and does not heat up your kitchen in the summer. You find used microwaves everywhere so you could buy one for this use only.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow&Darla View Post
I agreed with Bjean on the shape but I do care about the size. Dachshunds are prone to gain weight. I avoid buying hard treats because they are hard to cut in half. I prefer soft treats so I can split in half for my two doxies.

Simple solution to cutting hard stuff. I used it on pills. You buy a pair of pruning sheers
of the anvil type. I have one I bought new years ago. For your dog? Up to you, you can just clean a used one.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:05 PM

I only give my dogs freeze-dried meat treats that are small in size. I would think most owners would steer clear of grains because of the calories and sugar/starch easily fattening the dog. You consider buying a Harvest Right (brand) freeze drier and going this route instead.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
do you remember the great dog-food scare? everything was being recalled for killing pets due to melamine being used in the grains. during this time we made our own dog foods from a recipe our vet used. human grade meat, veggies, eggs & sweet potatoes went into every batch, & hubby had the most fun making it. the dogs rejoiced & we supplemented the diet with Vet-Tabs.
Oh yes I remember...I had a sick dog from Blue Buffalo canned food...it was a real eye opener. We feed raw or dehydrated human grade food and also lots of fresh good appropriate foods to our dogs as well...we cooked our own for quite a while as well...good for you and your dog.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, treats, shapes, making, long

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.