Warning on TV Utility Bill Paying

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Sage
Default Warning on TV Utility Bill Paying

I post this especially for Internet Explorer users who might not be warned of the risks.

I just opened to VCDD website to look for something and discovered a new service. You can now pay your TV Utility bill online.

The bad news is that when I open the link in Firefox, I get this message:

This Connection is Untrusted

At that point, it gives you only one button you can click. The button says:

Get me out of here!

If you click on the text that says, "I understand the risks," it does give you the choice to go there anyway.

Curious, I tried to click on the bill paying feature from IE and it did not warn me.

The problem is that the site uses an invalid security certificate. If I were you (or me), I wouldn't use the site to pay my bill until they fix the security issue. Would you?
Old 01-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

You can contact the Wedgewood offices of TV and sign up for that bill to be paid from your bank acct each month. I use it and it works fine.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 01-28-2011, 10:04 PM

That's another good reason not to use this new "service".

I didn't even bother going to the website once I found out you'll be charged 2.4% or minimum of $1.50 service fee for this "convenience".

You can read the details here under "Municipay" http://www.districtgov.org/happening/index.aspx

I'll just continue to have them autodraft from our bank account.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post

I didn't even bother going to the website once I found out you'll be charged 2.4% or minimum of $1.50 service fee for this "convenience".

You can read the details here under "Municipay" http://www.districtgov.org/happening/index.aspx

I'll take the suggestion and call the Wedgewood office to see about getting set up with the bank account draft. Works for me!!

Bill
Old 01-28-2011, 10:18 PM
nkrifats

I use bill payment via my internet banking. No charge for the service and works fine for me.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post

Whoa! Definitely count me out.
Who in his right mind would pay 2.4 percent more for the not-even-particularly-convenient service? A blockhead, that's who.

Wonder if they get any suckers... ur, takers.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Veteran member

My utility bill payment is also drafted from my bank account. No problem with that.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Veteran member
Default I pay all the utility bills online with our Citizens First

Bank and there is no charge and is done easily and promptly. I believe that there is a 3 or 4 day lag and it tells you when the payment will be received so you can always be assured that it will arrive on time. This is different from setting up the payment through the individual utility companies, which I felt was going to be more challenging to manage. I pay all TV operating bills online and the bank actually mails a check out to the neighbour who looks after our place when we are not there. All this at no charge....now for me, that's service.

LW888
Old 01-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Sage

We also pay all our utility and amenity bills through Citizens. Set up on a "auto prepay" basis.

But did you know that you can also pay private people? Citizens will also send cheques to pay private people .... for instance we pay our lawn person, our home watchdog people, our cleaning lady, etc., through Citizens. It is soooooo convenient. And I love their popcorn.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

their coffee is good too....gn
Old 01-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Send a message via ICQ to dpingram

When we ordered our home in January we opened an account with Citizens. I want to be ready when we finally get there.
I missed the Where do they keep it?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Default CenturyLink

I set up my CenturyLink account to be paid direct from my bank account

Or I thought I had - I filled in their form and sent it to them with a cancelled check and never heard back that there was a problem

Only when my December bill went unpaid, and they slapped on a $5 late charge, did I realize that CenturyLink had not processed the form.

When I called them to see what had gone wrong they said that they could only set up a direct debit for the phone, not just their internet service. They had no answer as to why they didn't contact me to let me know this.

Customer service?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Veteran member
Default Jobs

With electronic billing and payments, think of all the jobs lossed for our children and grandchildren. The paper producer, the envelope maker, the stamp maker, the truck driver that delivers the products, the postal worker, the maker of postal trucks, the oil co that makes gas for the postal trucks and the paper recycler. I am sure there are more. Talk about trickle down economics! Corporations push as a convenience to us, but it is designed to line their pockets. Is the convenience worth the true cost?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Default Bill Paying Security

As I am not a villager (yet), I can't address this, but wanted to throw out what a recent seminar on security and protecting yourself and identity said. Never pay bills online through individual websites, all banks have free bill paying service, and it is the safest way to pay bills, more so than having an amount directly deducted from your checking account. The reason being that everyone's money is thrown together for paying, and sent to, for example, the electric company, in one check, account numbers used to indicate where the money goes, no bank account numbers, no other identifying numbers are transmitted.

For internet buying, open a paypal account, and buy the extra security key. It costs $5 and adds a generated number you type in when logging in that is different for every transaction. I have used paypal myself for years, as a way of using my credit card without every website getting the information.

Anyway, I thought I would share these suggestions that came out of our seminar a work.

I wish we were there with you all. Due to being in Tampa, and watching the price of our present home go down, we have decided to put it up next January anyway, and to work till the end of 2012 to help make up for our losses, which is an extra year for me. Have a good day everyone.

Lee and Richard in Tampa
Old 01-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Veteran member
Default Citizen's First Bank

This has got to be the best bank in the USA. Super friendly employees always willing to go that extra step.

I use their on-line banking for all my bill paying. It is a secure encrypted site and have had no trouble getting bills paid on time. I know friends who use the automatic payment for the Utility bill. Works great, too.

Yes, great popcorn, no big lines, friendly employees, civic minded organization. What is not to like?

You have got to be kidding me that one person posting is against on-line bill paying because it will take jobs from their children and grandchildren. Get into the 21st Century, folks. Did people once complain that the invention of the car would take jobs from carriage makers, buggy whip manufactures, and farriers (look that one up in your Funk & Wagner's)?

Last edited by Tbugs; 01-29-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.