Other choices other than Comcast

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2018, 06:38 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default Other choices other than Comcast

I put my tv, internet services with Comcast on seasonal hold plan in April. All summer I have got the runaround with them saying I didn't do this and now they want to penalize me for their mistakes. Total frustration and lots of time wasted.

Do I have any options other than Comcast for these services in the Winifred neighborhood?

Thank you
Old 09-18-2018, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Maybe time for the latest craze, Streaming. We are going to try Youtube TV. Overall DirecTV has served us well until AT&T took them over and now a constant battle about the bill. The actual service works even during storms 95% of the time. It about programming the remote to Standard-Definition instead of Hi-Definition. Good Luck.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Maybe time for the latest craze, Streaming. We are going to try Youtube TV. Overall DirecTV has served us well until AT&T took them over and now a constant battle about the bill. The actual service works even during storms 95% of the time. It about programming the remote to Standard-Definition instead of Hi-Definition. Good Luck.
You still have to buy cable from someone - and DSL isn't a great option if your goal is to go streaming. The technology in The Villages is as old as the residents.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
You still have to buy cable from someone - and DSL isn't a great option if your goal is to go streaming. The technology in The Villages is as old as the residents.
There are various places to learn how to cut the cord. I am not the one to teach as I'm trying to learn myself right now. I did take the first step and upgraded the speed of my internet service to 25 Jiggawatts before trying to Stream. I have Comcast in the Historic Section and I believe it is Cable not DSL like Centurylink who I just let go. In all fairness, Centurylink wasn't bad at all for Internet Service but messed up my upgrade so I cut them loose.

I'm not a technological wizard but someone else on TOTV'S described themselves at my knowledge level and said the learning curve was small. We'll know shortly.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:25 AM
Sage

A good chunk of The Villages (everything south of 466a plus other areas) has fiber optic cable to the house. Fiber to the house is the latest and greatest.

For streaming 1080p Hi-Def you need about 5 megabits per second of download bandwidth. We have, in the past, not had any difficulty streaming with a nominal 10 megabit per second service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
Old 09-18-2018, 08:36 AM

When putting Xfinity on vacation mode I make sure I document that I did so and make sure I get an email confirmation.
Streaming is the way to go. It just is a matter than has the right fit for you. There are groups that have recently talked about cutting the cord. Take a look at the Connected Villager (connectedvillager.com). Or visit the Apple User group in The Villages tvaug.org. There is a recorded presentation from last Monday on this topic. This landscape of cutting the cord changes quickly.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:43 AM
Sage

As far as cutting the cord, someone on here or another site suggested going to supposetv.com to find out which live streaming service would suit their viewing habits the best. In my case it was Hulu Live TV, not YouTubeTV.

We gave up cable TV at the beginning of 2015 and haven't missed it at all.. We have an antenna installed in the attic and get the local channels in high def. With Roku and Netflix there is plenty to watch.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:11 AM
Sage

Direct Tv is the best
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 09-18-2018, 12:05 PM
Default Local TV channels

Do you get CBS, NBC, FOX & ABC with the antenna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
As far as cutting the cord, someone on here or another site suggested going to supposetv.com to find out which live streaming service would suit their viewing habits the best. In my case it was Hulu Live TV, not YouTubeTV.

We gave up cable TV at the beginning of 2015 and haven't missed it at all.. We have an antenna installed in the attic and get the local channels in high def. With Roku and Netflix there is plenty to watch.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky25 View Post
Do you get CBS, NBC, FOX & ABC with the antenna?
Yes, and in high def, as I mentioned.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:30 AM
Sage

What about internet? That is the most important. Any choices other than Comcast for my area? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:42 AM
Sage

Call CenturyLink and see what their offerings are in your area (north of 466a). I believe Spectrum isn't an option for you. Other than using a cellular company, I believe that is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
What about internet? That is the most important. Any choices other than Comcast for my area? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Only One

Am I the only one that recognizes that Cable Companies have NO consequences if they over bill or add eguipment to bills that is not right or neglect to provide credits when they
overcharge. If there are no consequences to over charging, why not try? It is easy money and all profit. Greed is a funny thing..It has no boundries.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:07 AM
Default TV antenna

Would you please tell us what antenna you are using & where did you buy it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post

Old 09-20-2018, 07:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Am I the only one that recognizes that Cable Companies have NO consequences if they over bill or add eguipment to bills that is not right or neglect to provide credits when they
overcharge. If there are no consequences to over charging, why not try? It is easy money and all profit. Greed is a funny thing..It has no boundries.
This seems so true in this case. It is like they don't care. So sad.
Closed Thread

Tags
comcast, services, mistakes, neighborhood, winifred

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.