The other day a golf cart driver told me not to walk in the cart lane.

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Founder
Default The other day a golf cart driver told me not to walk in the cart lane.

Every day I walk up to the Mulberry fitness center. I am always very careful to stay close to the curb when carts come toward me ( I always walk facing traffic like you are suppose to). The other day, a guy stopped and snarled at me that I was not suppose to be walking in the golf cart lane. Where else can I walk?????????????
Old 12-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Default Re: The other day a golf cart driver told me not to walk in the cart lane.

I guess you just have to walk in the street! Because the golf cart path is for golf carts and "street legal golf carts who exceed the 20 mph speed limits.

Why do people buy those carts and then drive them on the RECREATION TRAILS?

Pure ego I guess. Show me who's got the money!!
Old 12-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Founder
Default Re: The other day a golf cart driver told me not to walk in the cart lane.

I also see motor scooters on the recreation trail. That......is a disaster waiting to happen, I think.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:00 PM

How sad for someone to be that unhappy living here in The Villages. Maybe the driver can't walk or is overweight and should walk. You are correct to walk facing traffic. I think the paths are called multi-purpose or recreational path.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:08 PM

I have the same problem with people sort of preaching to me as they fly by "Don't walk in the cart lane!"

Well, I STILL think that The Villages IS the friendliest Florida hometown...even if there are a few who have lost the concept of sharing...like the road for instance.

Perhaps I'll get a little beanie with a propeller that can levitate me out of the motorized vehicles' way. Paints a picture, don't it?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:13 PM

People who own golf carts should have to take a mandatory golf cart safety class so they learn the rules and regs of the Villages and the motor vehicle laws.

Another BIG boo boo are people trying to make their turns at an intersection from the golf cart lane...YIKES!!!
Again, if they took a safety lesson they would know the rules of the road.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstwatchng
People who own golf carts should have to take a mandatory golf cart safety class so they learn the rules and regs of the Villages and the motor vehicle laws.

Another BIG boo boo are people trying to make their turns at an intersection from the golf cart lane...YIKES!!!
Again, if they took a safety lesson they would know the rules of the road.
You nailed that problem! Somebody is going to be killed turning from the cart lane. What are these people thinking. Another biggy is people in cars who stop on the road and wave carts to cross. They do this without regard to what other traffic is doing. I refuse to accept their offer to cross. I wait my turn.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Default Sharing the Road

I think all walkers should carry a sign that says speed limit 25mph and flash it at cars and bikes as they pass. Or how about t-shirts with "Share the Road" across the front and back.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Veteran member

I sometimes drive up Canal Street from Duval and see walkers in the cart lane of the street. The curious thing is there is a sidewalk available. Is there an advantage to walking on asphalt rather than concrete?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:12 AM

I have thought of that same question. Why do people choose to walk on the cart trails instead of the sidewalk?

When walking it would be courteous to slide over instead of walking 2-3 abreast making the golf cart move into the traffic lane which is for cars. I had to come to a complete stop the other day when traffic was heavy so they could continue walking. They gave me the dirty look when they had to go around me. We should all be couteous and have some sense of responsibility here.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusSister View Post
I have the same problem with people sort of preaching to me as they fly by "Don't walk in the cart lane!"

Well, I STILL think that The Villages IS the friendliest Florida hometown...even if there are a few who have lost the concept of sharing...like the road for instance.

Perhaps I'll get a little beanie with a propeller that can levitate me out of the motorized vehicles' way. Paints a picture, don't it?
Hey! The Beanie is a great idea however a much simpler solution would be to extend the Cart Driver the courtesy of stepping up onto the curb for a second so that he does not have to pull out into the traffic lane and risk being struck by a passing car from behind which might just be in the blind spot of his mirror.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts
Cool Being a friendly villager myself and a daily walker with the dog,

only occasionally will some one grump about us being on "their" path....I usuall give the my usual...oh by the way good morning. Further grumping earns them one of my favorite hopeful agrivating greetings (here is the definition first to allay any other intention) :.....is typically used as an idiomatic expression of discontent or annoyance with another party....and that is

Bite me!!!!!!!!!!!!

btk
Old 03-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuk69 View Post
Hey! The Beanie is a great idea however a much simpler solution would be to extend the Cart Driver the courtesy of stepping up onto the curb for a second so that he does not have to pull out into the traffic lane and risk being struck by a passing car from behind which might just be in the blind spot of his mirror.
“pull out into the traffic lane and risk being struck by a passing car from behind which might just be in the blind spot of his mirror.”

With that thought in mind I would say cart belongs in the cart lane. At a cross street the car has the right of way over a cart on a straightaway the car should not run into the cart but then the cart should not swerve out of the cart lane making the car driver loose control to avoid an accident.

My solution assuming the pedestrians are facing the cart, is approach them at a less than an intimating speed and if they fail to step on the curb, stop in front of them and smile.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
Every day I walk up to the Mulberry fitness center. I am always very careful to stay close to the curb when carts come toward me ( I always walk facing traffic like you are suppose to). The other day, a guy stopped and snarled at me that I was not suppose to be walking in the golf cart lane. Where else can I walk?????????????
My typical retort is a snarling... "LEAVE ME ALONE!!!"
Old 03-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

if there were three abreast walking at me in the cart lane i would probably stop and let them go around me....gn

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.