The other day a golf cart driver told me not to walk in the cart lane.

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
if there were three abreast walking at me in the cart lane i would probably stop and let them go around me....gn
I would do what Golfnut said...

Dirigo

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 03-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
Every day I walk up to the Mulberry fitness center. I am always very careful to stay close to the curb when carts come toward me ( I always walk facing traffic like you are suppose to). The other day, a guy stopped and snarled at me that I was not suppose to be walking in the golf cart lane. Where else can I walk?????????????
You weren't peeing, were you?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:17 PM

When I was riding on the subways in NY City, I'd sometimes do an act to quiet a loud, deranged or obnoxious passenger. I'd imitate a large, viscious attack dog, by growling and snarling while shaking convulsively as if I was about to attack them. It made them feel that I was crazier than they were and they'd stop there nonsense. Stupid? Risky? Can't argue with that, but it was fun.
Here in TV, it would probably cause a few heart attacks.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Veteran member

Wow....how old is this thread?

I've developed an idea for a fun stress reliever for long excursions on recreation paths. I use my grandson's super soaker tommy gun water pistol. Scoring is assigned and calculated for direct hits on various close encounters along the route.

For pedestrians:

head shot = 3 pts
body shot = 2 pts
below the belt = 1 pt

For bicyclists add one point to each category because they are harder to hit

Hits anywhere on a recumbent cyclist is an automatic 3 pt. bonus. There are fewer of them and the angle is awkward

For golf cart operators it's a straight 1 pt for any hit because there's so darn many of them.

What you say....you shoot at other golf carts? No....I'm not saying that. I rollerblade the paths.....guess I should have mentioned that at the beginning.

You can see how much fun this could be if all modes of travel were equipped with super soakers. How many points should be allocated for squirting a rollerblader?

If it catches on.....who knows....maybe a Senior Olympic event?

Their taking me back to the home now. Good evening.

Have fun and stay safe in The Villages.

Last edited by cabo35; 03-02-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj410 View Post
I have thought of that same question. Why do people choose to walk on the cart trails instead of the sidewalk?

When walking it would be courteous to slide over instead of walking 2-3 abreast making the golf cart move into the traffic lane which is for cars. I had to come to a complete stop the other day when traffic was heavy so they could continue walking. They gave me the dirty look when they had to go around me. We should all be couteous and have some sense of responsibility here.

AMEN! Some must think since the sidewalks are so conveniently available for pedestrian traffic; there must be something wrong with using them. It's fine for peds to use the recreational trails which are "multi-modal" but just use your head and not walk two abreast into the driving lane. If there's a sidewalk right next to the golf cart lane on secondary streets, USE IT!!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
“pull out into the traffic lane and risk being struck by a passing car from behind which might just be in the blind spot of his mirror.”

With that thought in mind I would say cart belongs in the cart lane. At a cross street the car has the right of way over a cart on a straightaway the car should not run into the cart but then the cart should not swerve out of the cart lane making the car driver loose control to avoid an accident.

My solution assuming the pedestrians are facing the cart, is approach them at a less than an intimating speed and if they fail to step on the curb, stop in front of them and smile.
"Intimidating" !
Old 03-02-2010, 09:19 PM

The pedestrians I worry about are the ones walking with traffic, in the golf cart lanes. When I come up to some of these walkers, usually they are visitors here, I warn them to cross the street. With some of the golf cart drivers here, you could get hit from behind. The drivers would probably say they didn't see anyone.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemorc View Post
The pedestrians I worry about are the ones walking with traffic, in the golf cart lanes. When I come up to some of these walkers, usually they are visitors here, I warn them to cross the street. With some of the golf cart drivers here, you could get hit from behind. The drivers would probably say they didn't see anyone.
I tried that and after getting a bunch of lip from some of them I quit trying.

I firmly believe if the Villages put up a sign that said "If you can read this, you are walking on the wrong side of the street", they would ignore it.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:15 PM

After watching the roundabout follies last week, I've decided that happy hour must start about 9:30 AM somewhere in TV.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.