Our home design experience

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2021, 10:28 PM
Default Our home design experience

We just completed our “design week”, so I thought I would share our experience in an effort to help others who may be contemplating building a new home in TV.

First of, we are new to TV. We had barely heard of it before October, and had never considered moving here. But, I late October we took advantage of the Lifestyle Visit and immediately decided this was where we wanted to be.

After looking at a lot of homes during our Lifestyle visit and everything we could find online, we decided that the only way to get what we wanted was to build. Even then, we were very specific in what we wanted in a build site and one (and only one) just happened to open up that met the requirements. I have to say the methodology the developer uses to release very limited build sites, for very limited periods of time, is……..interesting. That said, we were able to place a deposit on the site we wanted and then schedule our design week.

Our week was really 10 days, which I though was a ridicules amount of time. I was a builder way back in the day and have a really good idea of how it works. I also had a really good idea of exactly what I wanted in my house, or thought I did. Well before Design Week I had already picked a floor plan, spent days thinking through and sketching how I wanted to stretch the floor plan, change the elevation, design the pool, etc…. I even poured through this forum to learn from others experiences, so I was very confident I was ready for the design activity.

I did set a budget and had allotted funds for the basic build, customizations, the pool and birdcage, and landscaping. Also, I was very prepared to have the builder exclude things that either were unreasonably expensive, or that they would not do the way I wanted.

Right off the bat the “basic” house cost was waayy more than I had anticipated from reading posts in the forum. However, as we worked through the design, we found that the “basic” build is extremely inclusive and the “included” materials, features and finishing are way better than I anticipated.

I had also read that stretches are pretty reasonable and that is true. We stretched the garage (a whole lot) and a couple other rooms to a lesser extent and it was very reasonable. There was some shortage of selections in flooring, tile, appliances, etc… but with just a couple exceptions we found plenty to choose from. And again, in many cases the “included” materials were pretty nice, so even when we selected higher level products the difference in price wasn’t that much.

We also anticipated that the pool and birdcage would be pretty expensive, at least compared to what we had seen in South Carolina, and that to was true, but “expensive” was not unreasonable. In fact, T&D led us through the pool and birdcage design process and we ended up with a beautiful pool, well within our budget.

Throughout the process our design consultant was super knowledgeable, patient and very thorough. She openly shared what changes would cost and was eager to provide ball-park prices on things I was just contemplating. There was none of the “holding-back pricing to the end” that I had read about and no hidden costs. There were a couple items I wanted that the builder wouldn’t include, either because of TV rules, manufacturer restrictions or warranty concerns, but they weren’t that important.

It did take almost the entire 10 days, but I think of all of that time we probably only spent 2 full days and 5 partial days in the design center. In the end, we left with a fully designed house, within our budget, build start and close dates, and a bag full for designs and pictures of what was to come. We are now looking forward to watching the build over the next 5 months.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Are you renting so you can watch or will you be traveling back in forth. Sounds like you have a good plan, good luck and welcome to The Villages.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Are you renting so you can watch or will you be traveling back in forth. Sounds like you have a good plan, good luck and welcome to The Villages.
We already sold our home in SC, so we will be living in our Motorhome nearby, at least through the holidays. After that, if we get tired of the MH, we may rent until our house is complete.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:03 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,017 Times in 524 Posts
Default Design

We did the same, what I would recommend for all is:

The stove is very basic….upgrade
Don’t get the 850 dollar attic ladder system…upgrade yourself
Stretch, stretch, stretch…especially on your walk in closet side
Get the 48 inch cabinets
Raise the Lanai level to 3/4 inch from floor…it’s free
Pour the largest patio ever…dirt cheap at construction
Add outlets like crazy
Move your garage entry sink closest to the garage for adequate room

“Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see further.” Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by Normal; 11-24-2021 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:49 AM

Thank you for posting. Nice to read positive post about the developer.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnesbitt View Post
We just completed our “design week”, so I thought I would share our experience in an effort to help others who may be contemplating building a new home in TV.

First of, we are new to TV. We had barely heard of it before October, and had never considered moving here. But, I late October we took advantage of the Lifestyle Visit and immediately decided this was where we wanted to be.

After looking at a lot of homes during our Lifestyle visit and everything we could find online, we decided that the only way to get what we wanted was to build. Even then, we were very specific in what we wanted in a build site and one (and only one) just happened to open up that met the requirements. I have to say the methodology the developer uses to release very limited build sites, for very limited periods of time, is……..interesting. That said, we were able to place a deposit on the site we wanted and then schedule our design week.

Our week was really 10 days, which I though was a ridicules amount of time. I was a builder way back in the day and have a really good idea of how it works. I also had a really good idea of exactly what I wanted in my house, or thought I did. Well before Design Week I had already picked a floor plan, spent days thinking through and sketching how I wanted to stretch the floor plan, change the elevation, design the pool, etc…. I even poured through this forum to learn from others experiences, so I was very confident I was ready for the design activity.

I did set a budget and had allotted funds for the basic build, customizations, the pool and birdcage, and landscaping. Also, I was very prepared to have the builder exclude things that either were unreasonably expensive, or that they would not do the way I wanted.

Right off the bat the “basic” house cost was waayy more than I had anticipated from reading posts in the forum. However, as we worked through the design, we found that the “basic” build is extremely inclusive and the “included” materials, features and finishing are way better than I anticipated.

I had also read that stretches are pretty reasonable and that is true. We stretched the garage (a whole lot) and a couple other rooms to a lesser extent and it was very reasonable. There was some shortage of selections in flooring, tile, appliances, etc… but with just a couple exceptions we found plenty to choose from. And again, in many cases the “included” materials were pretty nice, so even when we selected higher level products the difference in price wasn’t that much.

We also anticipated that the pool and birdcage would be pretty expensive, at least compared to what we had seen in South Carolina, and that to was true, but “expensive” was not unreasonable. In fact, T&D led us through the pool and birdcage design process and we ended up with a beautiful pool, well within our budget.

Throughout the process our design consultant was super knowledgeable, patient and very thorough. She openly shared what changes would cost and was eager to provide ball-park prices on things I was just contemplating. There was none of the “holding-back pricing to the end” that I had read about and no hidden costs. There were a couple items I wanted that the builder wouldn’t include, either because of TV rules, manufacturer restrictions or warranty concerns, but they weren’t that important.

It did take almost the entire 10 days, but I think of all of that time we probably only spent 2 full days and 5 partial days in the design center. In the end, we left with a fully designed house, within our budget, build start and close dates, and a bag full for designs and pictures of what was to come. We are now looking forward to watching the build over the next 5 months.
Different strokes for different folks. We bought a home built on speculation and we are happy with it. My wife, would take here six months to a year to pick out color of counter top granite and by the time she did that color would be gone. I cannot visualize blue prints. I need to see it. Done and it was far less painful for me.

We are due to have the outside painted. I've lost track of the colors she has selected and changed. Been there done that. I still recall her picking out wall paper for our previous house. We went to a shop that was like a library. The guy had over a thousand books of wall paper samples. We went there twice, the guy laughed when I told him I pitied him. She picked a pattern and a custom color so it cost us twice as much.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

Congratulations on your new home!

Nice job doing your homework!

This was the 4th home I've had built and by far the best and fastest process. They put the best construction managers on the custom homes.

Many of the workers will have 20+ years experience building homes the Villages way - amazing construction process. It's like a Toyota factory in the field.

You are right, many things that are extras or upgrades with other builders are standard with the Villages.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
We did the same, what I would recommend for all is:

The stove is very basic….upgrade
Don’t get the 850 dollar attic ladder system…upgrade yourself
Stretch, stretch, stretch…especially on your walk in closet side
Get the 48 inch cabinets
Raise the Lanai level to 3/4 inch from floor…it’s free
Pour the largest patio ever…dirt cheap at construction
Add outlets like crazy
Move your garage entry sink closest to the garage for adequate room
Agree on the stretches. We stretched our Gardenia 4 ways and so glad we did.

Also strongly recommend the 2 car plus golf cart garage. I frequently hear people moving solely because the garage not big enough. We have one car and 2 golf carts and plenty of space for anything else.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:58 AM

Congrats. Curious: does that 5 month timeline include completion of the pool and cage?
Old 11-25-2021, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,496 Posts
Default Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
Agree on the stretches. We stretched our Gardenia 4 ways and so glad we did.

Also strongly recommend the 2 car plus golf cart garage. I frequently hear people moving solely because the garage not big enough. We have one car and 2 golf carts and plenty of space for anything else.
4 way stretched gardenia. Brother in law has begonia. To me, the only notable difference between the two is the golf cart garage which sits in front of the breakfast nook and closes off one window.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:29 PM

I want to ditto the comments made by the original poster. The design team was fantastic. My design sense is so bad that I would tell people I have a rough time matching a tie to a white shirt. But, The Villages design people were incredible and helped me design a house that I am sooooo proud of. Thank you to all of them. Now, I wish they could help me with this tie thing. I am now wearing white on white shirts!
Old 11-26-2021, 01:08 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,017 Times in 524 Posts
Default Kudos

Our designer person was Heather. She was amazing!

“Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see further.” Thomas Carlyle
Old 11-26-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Our designer person was Heather. She was amazing!
Heather was ours as well. She was Awesome!
Old 11-26-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNative View Post
Congrats. Curious: does that 5 month timeline include completion of the pool and cage?
Yes it does include the pool, as well as the landscaping. In fact, the total build is more like 4 months. The construction actually begins January 12 and closing is May 2.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:28 PM

Thank you for this informative post. I was wondering if anyone knows if anyone started a sort of private consultant business to help you better understand the costs and options of the home before you buy land?
Closed Thread

Tags
design, wanted, build, pool, days

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.