Children in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Default Children in The Villages

Is it just me or do there seem to be a lot of people living in The Villages that are in their teens and 20's? Two families in my neighborhood have their 20-something children living with them, and a 16 year old stock boy at Publix told me he lives with his grandparents in Woodbury. Isn't that against The Villages By-Laws?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Founder
Default Re: Children in The Villages

I'm not sure what the rules are. I know that certain "care givers" can live here under age 55. I would not surprise me that there are young people living here in violation of the deed restrictions. Some people don't care, do they?
Old 05-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Sage

I believe the deed restrictions say that all permanent residents have to be over 18, so, most of the situations described would be legit. Those under 18 can only visit for 30 days at a time.

One of the legal homeowners is supposed to be over 55, however the statute that established age restricted communities allows up to 20% of the homes to be sold to someone under 55, so you will see some owners who are not 55.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:59 AM

Is someone afraid of younger people? I've noticed a couple entries (same person) that speak of younger people as though they are some undesirable life form.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:51 AM
Veteran member

Afraid? If you define "younger" as say.....less than 30? I love younger people. Of course, a little mischief comes with them but the good far outweighs the bad in my opinion. Were we a little mischievious :verymad:?
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 05-22-2007, 03:27 PM

I'm not "afraid" of young people as your post implies, but I am uncomfortable when a 16 year old boy tells me he's driving his grandparents golf cart to work. And when we moved here we were told that we wouldn't have to pay school taxes because school age kids weren't allowed in The Villages. Is that going to change when they start letting in all ages?
Old 05-22-2007, 03:45 PM

When my husband and I visited the Villages for the first time we were told that there were a few "children" here under strict guidelines! To that I say "thank you"! It was so refreshing to see teenagers at Publex riding their skateboards one night after seeing nothing but "seniors" all day long. (Seniors is defined as someone our age! lol) It was so refreshing. Of course you don't want to be over run by kids since this is after all a retirement community but I feel energized and younger by being around the youth of today and they can certainly learn a thing or two by being around me!

Old 05-23-2007, 06:35 AM
Gold member

how do i like my children -- "well done" Just last week - as i was working on my lawn - down the street comes a golf cart (flying) with a young fellow about 16 driving and his buddy hanging on the back (standing in the golf bag tray) dragging his one leg on the ground and yelling to each other - i just love the younger generation that i have so much to learn from - maybe how to ride a skate board - i do not go to wrap concerts and i did not expect the younger mischievous generation to be living in the villages there are many communities where families are allowed with there swing and slides in there front yard - remember give an inch and take a mile why not do away with the deed restriction i would love to build a 20 foot waterfall in my front yard sorry but i was under the impression that there would be no youth that would make me feel younger - i am very happy
Old 05-23-2007, 08:15 AM
Platinum member

The problem as I see is not the kids (although they could be too) but the Villages indifference to enforcing the deed restrictions. When a new owner buys into the Villages, they have a right to expect that all the rules will be consistently and equally enforced. This includes the rules about children, pets, noise, parking boats in the driveway and other nuisances. If the Villages has no intention of enforcing the deed restrictions then they have an obligation to change them.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:54 PM

Hello & Good Saturday Evening,

I have read this "thread" before and almost wrote my feelings, however, I had decided to keep them to myself until the weekend before last and then today talking to other residents at an adult pool reinforced my decision to finally write. Children in The Villages: Most unwelcome from my perspective and many others. Those that want to be around children MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE. I moved here to retire not to hear screaming, obnoxious children out of control, racing bikes and golf carts along roads and recreation paths. My husband and I went to the Orange Blossom pool two week-ends ago only to endure out of control young people jumping off the sides of the pool belly splashing, screaming oh so noisy. The pool monitor was busy desciplining the children and only when she made a "huge" issue of the problem did these so called grandparents finally take charge of their "whatever".

Are these grandparents deaf and dumb that they have no conception of others rights to an enjoyable day at the pool for which we paid extra to attend?????????????? Our only defense in the future will be to openly be hostile verbally to both the young people and their attending numb adults. I was a 30 year teacher of the disabled and emotionally disturbed and wow do we have the young people and adults here who fit this catagory.

Kathleen
Old 06-25-2007, 08:15 AM

i raised my kids and love them greatly. have 3 grandkids whom i like for them to visit but i know everyone will go home and all will be quiet again. this is my time in the sun and i enjoy not having kids run thru my yard or skate boarding down the street. this is my time to sit back and enjoy what is left of my life which means peace and quiet when i want it. if i want the noise of kids i will go where they are.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:10 AM

My wife and I went to Katie Belle's last night to do some dancing. There were several kids there, out on the dance floor with their parents/grandparents. Some were laying on the floor or just running around, taking up dance space. Sorry, but kids have not place on a crowded dance floor. Parents and/or grandparents should be more considerate.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaudit
My wife and I went to Katie Belle's last night to do some dancing. There were several kids there, out on the dance floor with their parents/grandparents. Some were laying on the floor or just running around, taking up dance space. Sorry, but kids have not place on a crowded dance floor. Parents and/or grandparents should be more considerate.
I have always thought that most people, given the chance, are pretty normal people. What would posses anybody to think it is okay to let their children disrupt an entertainment event with the behavior that you describe.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Veteran member

One of the things that I love about Tall Trees is that we have an ADULT pool. I spent many years at the beach and at pools worrying about other people's children who were left out of control for hours!

There are certain covenants about children and I do know that if you have a special needs child and you are of the age (55+) you can live here and that child can reside with you.

No child under 18 is supposed to live here except on a less than 30 day "visit" with family. I have heard of people who, due to circumstances beyond their control, inherited grandchildren and they had to move from the Villages.

A certain percentage of the homes here must be made available to people under 55+ due to some "legal" restrictions on the developer.

I moved here because I loved the lifestyle and I didn't plan to raise or watch anyone else's children or grandchildren. I cannot believe the size and age of children who wildly drive golf carts around. Shame on nanny and popop!

Another reason to love courtyard villas. Walls keep it quiet and having no open ended streets usually keeps everyone except residents out of the neighborhood.

I LOVE children in the right time and place and the Villages Adult Pools is not one of those places. I think it is great that families get together and visit grandparents and I hope that someone of the adults will keep control over the youngsters!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.