Our Postal Station Workers Will Be Replaced?

Our Postal Station Workers Will Be Replaced?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That is true. Only 53 at our place. NO POOL.

Could this have been another tempest in a teapot?? Am I reading that it has been resolved? Could this be another crisis averted here in lower Paradise??

I can now continue thinking how wonderful this place is??

And thanking the Morse family?

My love...did you really count the the mail boxes? And God Save the Morse family...they made this place for us.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:20 PM
Sage

Not a tempest. A real issue. According to my postal contractor in Hemingway, six people will be out of work after tomorrow. The other 15 whose contracts are to expire shortly are in limbo for now. The rest are truly worried and have been given no indication what their fates are. This is neither right nor fair.

This has nothing to do with the Morses so far as I can tell. It was and is a USPS decision. As powerful as the Morses are, I doubt they have that much pull with this Federal agency to cause any changes.

Regardless, it will be a sad day for us if we lose our postal subcontractors. For they most part, they go above and beyond their duties. Furthermore, I really don’t want to go to Lady Lake for large packages.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2018, 08:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Not a tempest. A real issue. According to my postal contractor in Hemingway, six people will be out of work after tomorrow. The other 15 whose contracts are to expire shortly are in limbo for now. The rest are truly worried and have been given no indication what their fates are. This is neither right nor fair.

This has nothing to do with the Morses so far as I can tell. It was and is a USPS decision. As powerful as the Morses are, I doubt they have that much pull with this Federal agency to cause any changes.

Regardless, it will be a sad day for us if we lose our postal subcontractors. For they most part, they go above and beyond their duties. Furthermore, I really don’t want to go to Lady Lake for large packages.
That Lady Lake PO can be extremely busy at certain times of the year as well as times of the day.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:28 AM
Sage

Since we receive very little mail, and mostly junk, I venture up to the boxes once a week. Our packages come fedex, to our door.

However in this day and age of less face to face interactions, most know their postal person, who if you have a problem answer the door with a smile, and how can I help you. So far no word on if staff will change at our station.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
My love...did you really count the the mail boxes? And God Save the Morse family...they made this place for us.
No. I didn't count the mailboxes. Our village has met frequently AT THE POSTAL Station where we put up tables and have potlucks. We know each other. It is one of the smallest villages.

I still do not understand how this works. We are charged a fee at the beginning for post office key. I assume that offset the cost of the building of the air conditioned postal buildings that keep our medication from baking in the heat and are owned by the CDD????

I knew that the postal workers that delivered our mail worked for a private company. (Or thought I knew that)

Has the private company just negotiated a new contract? Has the Government postal union stuck a large foot down? WHAT IS the fly in this ointment that may cause workers to lose their jobs and some allowed then to take tests to work for the postal service?

I don't understand who is to blame and whether it is partially resolved. WHO KNOWS?
Old 03-31-2018, 12:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
This seems like such a dumb move. USPS employees get benefits, independent contractors don’t. USPS employees are well paid, our independent contractors bid for their jobs, which frequently puts them below minimum wage. On the plus side, there won’t be any more debates about tipping the delivery people since USPS employees can’t accept tips. I hope someone can explain the logic of this move.

I, for one, am going to give my delivery person a very large thank you gift this week. She deserves it.
how much usps independent box delivery contractors make? | Yahoo Answers Short answer (48K)

how much do usps mailman make - Bing
Old 03-31-2018, 03:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It's true. So far, I have collected about 70 percent of my total career earnings in pension income. My income at retirement was about 12 times the salary I had when I started working, which is pretty typical for someone who went from a GS-7 to GS-14 over the years. I was under the old CSRS system for about 35 years.
Sorry, but I'm still not buying it.

It would be extremely rare for someone to jump from working at a GS-7 level for a lot of years...then jump to a GS-14 level toward the end.

Which is about the only way said person could have received 70% of their cumulative 35 years of salary...in 11 years of retirement.

As that person moved up in their positions in a normal progression...their salary would obviously also increase.

Meaning of course, even if they retired at about 75% of their high 3 (even at a 14 level)...there is no way that would be equivalent to 70% of 35 years of cumulative salary.

I'm gonna have to throw this one in the same category as those who believe that when a Congressperson retires, they get their full salary for life...regardless of number of terms.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 03-31-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:35 PM
Sage

A full pension is available to members of Congress, 62 years of age with 5 years of service; 50 years or older with 20 years of service; or 25 years of service at any age. The size of a pension is based on the highest three years of a member's salary, the number of years of service and a multiplier, which is 1.7 percent for the first 20 years of service and 1.0 percent for subsequent years. ColdNoMore has it right and just putting this out there in case anyone is interested.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-01-2018, 08:01 AM

Just a small point - The Post Office is the largest dispenser of political patronage in our government. Leasing real estate, buying vehicles, leasing aircraft, etc. Don't shed a tear for every congressman's kitty of political favors for their donors.
Closed Thread

Tags
station, workers, replaced, postal, usps