Our Postal Station Workers Will Be Replaced?

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2018, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
This seems like such a dumb move. USPS employees get benefits, independent contractors don’t. USPS employees are well paid, our independent contractors bid for their jobs, which frequently puts them below minimum wage. On the plus side, there won’t be any more debates about tipping the delivery people since USPS employees can’t accept tips. I hope someone can explain the logic of this move.

I, for one, am going to give my delivery person a very large thank you gift this week. She deserves it.
how much usps independent box delivery contractors make? | Yahoo Answers Short answer (48K)

how much do usps mailman make - Bing
Old 03-31-2018, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It's true. So far, I have collected about 70 percent of my total career earnings in pension income. My income at retirement was about 12 times the salary I had when I started working, which is pretty typical for someone who went from a GS-7 to GS-14 over the years. I was under the old CSRS system for about 35 years.
Sorry, but I'm still not buying it.

It would be extremely rare for someone to jump from working at a GS-7 level for a lot of years...then jump to a GS-14 level toward the end.

Which is about the only way said person could have received 70% of their cumulative 35 years of salary...in 11 years of retirement.

As that person moved up in their positions in a normal progression...their salary would obviously also increase.

Meaning of course, even if they retired at about 75% of their high 3 (even at a 14 level)...there is no way that would be equivalent to 70% of 35 years of cumulative salary.

I'm gonna have to throw this one in the same category as those who believe that when a Congressperson retires, they get their full salary for life...regardless of number of terms.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 03-31-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

A full pension is available to members of Congress, 62 years of age with 5 years of service; 50 years or older with 20 years of service; or 25 years of service at any age. The size of a pension is based on the highest three years of a member's salary, the number of years of service and a multiplier, which is 1.7 percent for the first 20 years of service and 1.0 percent for subsequent years. ColdNoMore has it right and just putting this out there in case anyone is interested.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-01-2018, 08:01 AM

Just a small point - The Post Office is the largest dispenser of political patronage in our government. Leasing real estate, buying vehicles, leasing aircraft, etc. Don't shed a tear for every congressman's kitty of political favors for their donors.
Closed Thread

Tags
station, workers, replaced, postal, usps

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.