Our Postal Station Workers Will Be Replaced?

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2018, 07:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Think about how much money the post office is already saving by not delivering our mail. I have never before lived any place where I had to pick up my own mail. I don't mind at all, but I would object to a USPS effort to cut my service back even further. They are already saving millions of dollars by not having carriers deliver mail in The Villages.
This is being done all over the country. I lived in Houston in the mid 90's and we had to go to the central mailboxes in our subdivision to get mail. In the Raleigh, NC area all new subdivisions over the past 7 or 8 years have been built this way.

I don't understand how using real USPS employees is supposed to be saving any money but I guess we will have to see if it actually hurts service.

Last edited by pauld315; 03-25-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
This is being done all over the country. I lived in Houston in the mid 90's and we had to go to the central mailboxes in our subdivision to get mail. In the Raleigh, NC area all new subdivisions over the past 7 or 8 years have been built this way. I don't understand how this move is supposed to be saving any money but I guess we will have to see if it actually hurts service.
It saves money by not having to drive route delivery. They go to the station and stuff mail instead of using gas and wear tear on fleet vehicle. Which they can service more area quicker (meaning they just stuff it in the boxes all lined up and close toagther.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
It saves money by not having to drive route delivery. They go to the station and stuff mail instead of using gas and wear tear on fleet vehicle. Which they can service more area quicker (meaning they just stuff it in the boxes all lined up and close toagther.
I understand that. I don't understand how replacing contractors with USPS employees saves money.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Did anybody say the change was being put in effect to save money?

If that is the case, what none of us know is how many USPS employees are fully utilized. There could be excess employment due to automation or lower utilization because of newer technology. So the answer could be as simple as get rid of contractors and use under utilized personnel already on the payroll.

There are not too many other scenarios justifying the change on economics....unless there is an element of load up the existing personnel work load and let the service quality fall where it may.

We shall soon experience the results of the change.

Then we can speculate anew....again!!
Old 03-26-2018, 01:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Newman!
Old 03-26-2018, 04:02 AM

This is the best news I have heard since I got here 8 years ago, you will see that you're service will improve, since the non-postal
employees don't really care if they have this job or not. They do not receive medical, no pension, low salary. This job that they have is a piece of cake, air conditioned facility indoors. The amount of employees going from 20 to 1 will be changed according to the amount of mail.
About using UPS or Fed-ex, do you really think they want this job, they have more work than they can handle now.
Retired Letter Carrier after (30 Years) been retired for 18 years. Watch what you wish for, it's going to work BELIEVE ME.
JJO'D
Old 03-26-2018, 06:49 AM

My wife and I have sent cash and gift cards to our grandchildren from the mail boxes at the postal center here. They never arrived at the destination. When we contacted the USPS to ask, they said there was nothing they could do because the employees at the postal centers are not USPS employees. Since the second time this happened, we have been going to the USPS post office to mail anything that looked like a greeting card just to make sure it gets where it is going. I hope this change will avoid this situation.

---She was only a whisky maker, but I loved her still.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman View Post
This is the best news I have heard since I got here 8 years ago, you will see that you're service will improve, since the non-postal
employees don't really care if they have this job or not. They do not receive medical, no pension, low salary. This job that they have is a piece of cake, air conditioned facility indoors. The amount of employees going from 20 to 1 will be changed according to the amount of mail.
About using UPS or Fed-ex, do you really think they want this job, they have more work than they can handle now.
Retired Letter Carrier after (30 Years) been retired for 18 years. Watch what you wish for, it's going to work BELIEVE ME.
JJO'D
Yes, I believe UPS and FEDEX want the job. But, they are in business to make a profit. They would not deliver junk mail and lose money on it like the USPS does. So, the amount of junk mail would be drastically reduced.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:23 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yes, I believe UPS and FEDEX want the job. But, they are in business to make a profit. They would not deliver junk mail and lose money on it like the USPS does. So, the amount of junk mail would be drastically reduced.
USPS does not lose money on junk mail. It is their life support machine.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCasey View Post
My wife and I have sent cash and gift cards to our grandchildren from the mail boxes at the postal center here. They never arrived at the destination. When we contacted the USPS to ask, they said there was nothing they could do because the employees at the postal centers are not USPS employees. Since the second time this happened, we have been going to the USPS post office to mail anything that looked like a greeting card just to make sure it gets where it is going. I hope this change will avoid this situation.
We have sent similar gifts and never had one problem, we use checks.

One of the reasons we like the postal stations is that they are air conditioned and our prescriptions are mailed to us and it is very HOT here in the summer and traditional mail boxes would hurt many prescriptions in a short time due to excessive heat.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-26-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Personally I'm surprise the Postal Service can even survive because of computers & emails & text messages. I think evenually computers will run the postal service out of business. Just my thought!
Old 03-26-2018, 07:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Personally I'm surprise the Postal Service can even survive because of computers & emails & text messages. I think evenually computers will run the postal service out of business. Just my thought!
The postal service is not in "business". They are wasting your tax dollars because Congress won't stop them.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:03 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to GAGammy

The junk mail we get is actually income to pay the postoffice by the advertiser to deliver their mail to us.So if we blocked that, then the usps would get less money,then our rates would go up.vicious cycle.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGammy View Post
The junk mail we get is actually income to pay the postoffice by the advertiser to deliver their mail to us.So if we blocked that, then the usps would get less money,then our rates would go up.vicious cycle.
The problem is that the advertisers are not paying enough money to cover the cost to deliver the junk. Our Government is subsidizing the cost. It has gotten to the point that almost all of our mail is junk, and the "for profit" services like UPS and FEDEX are delivering the real mail. If the USPS charged the actual cost to deliver junk mail, the junk mail would disappear.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:20 AM
Veteran member

Contractors make more money then Federal Employees!

Tags
station, workers, replaced, postal, usps

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.