Our warranty dept/Windows

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2017, 07:58 PM
Gold member
Default Our warranty dept/Windows

So we are on home number 2 in the villages. Our now new home, only built 5 yrs ago, has same problem as last house. Condensation on Windows all day. Either Windows they are installing are Cheap Or the company installing is Not sealing them properly. We called warranty today since windows fall under 10 yrvwarranty. However they will charge us $150 to install for their labor charge. We think we should not be charged as we feel it is the villages fault not installing them properly. Anyone else experiencing this problem?? 2nd time for us
Old 07-13-2017, 09:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Try searching this site, as I recall there were other instances with the same problems, and the windows were replaced at no charge. In any case, I would call home warranty, and get the name of the original builder, and the installer of the windows, as well as the manufacturer, and then plead your case directly to them also.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:30 AM
Gold member

That is what we did. Called Our Warranty Dept. They told us contact T & D builders who proceeded to tell us it would cost $150. Called warranty back to ask if it's cheap Windows being installed Or incompetent builders putting in. Of course she would not answer my question, told me that was just my opinion. I told her, No that is a fact , and which is causing. Again No response. They just don't care. not our 1st dealing with our Warranty Dept. It's Always pass the buck with them. They take No responsibility for errors in building. It's all about quantity of homes they build,Not quality
Old 07-14-2017, 06:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I assume you are seeing condensation on the outside of the windows? If so, then that can certainly happen when there are very high dewpoints outside. The windows aren't perfect insulators and if they cool (from the cool, air conditioned inside air) below the dewpoint then condensation can form on the outside glass. I see this with some of my windows in the morning. Once it warms up a bit the condensate will evaporate. Assuming this is what you are experiencing, I don't believe you have an issue.

In the cool season, the opposite can happen where you may see condensation on the glass and metal windows frames on the inside of the house if there is a rapid drop in the outside air temperature (until the dewpoint inside the house has had a chance to drop).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
So we are on home number 2 in the villages. Our now new home, only built 5 yrs ago, has same problem as last house. Condensation on Windows all day. Either Windows they are installing are Cheap Or the company installing is Not sealing them properly. We called warranty today since windows fall under 10 yrvwarranty. However they will charge us $150 to install for their labor charge. We think we should not be charged as we feel it is the villages fault not installing them properly. Anyone else experiencing this problem?? 2nd time for us
Old 07-14-2017, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OP, I reread your original comment, is the condensation on the OUTSIDE of the windows, if so this has nothing to do with the installation or quality of the windows. It may have to do with how cool you have your house, we have ours at 78 degrees year round, and use the fans extensively. This morning, the car windows were covered with condensation, nothing on our house windows.
If on the other hand the condensation is INSIDE (between the 2 panes of glass), then the seal has failed, and as I recall the window manufacturers have stood by their products.
I cannot imagine that the condensation is INSIDE the house, as the air conditioning removes a lot of the humidity. The only time I have seen condensation on the INSIDE of the windows, is in the winter, in the morning, after a shower, and in the bathrooms only.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:09 AM
Gold member

No. It is Not on the outside. It's inside the windows!! That is Why I'm stating it's the windows themselves Or the builders??
Old 07-14-2017, 07:19 AM
Platinum member

Between the glass? covered or on the inside of the windows? not covered. We had one replaced no charge under 5 years, then another had to be changed at 6 years and warranty referred us to T&D or Romac. Both charged labor, Romac , I think, was $95.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

OK, I now understand what you are seeing - your original language was "condensation on windows". The seal on the windows has failed. This is not an installation issue unless the installers damaged the windows when they were installing them. The windows pop out of the frames for easy replacement. Tell warranty which windows have failed. It sounds like you may be on the hook for labor?? Good luck, I hope you have a good outcome.

Quote:
No. It is Not on the outside. It's inside the windows!! That is Why I'm stating it's the windows themselves Or the builders??
Old 07-14-2017, 08:45 AM

We just had 5 windows replaced (our house is 6 years old) due to the seals being broken. The windows are free but you have to pay for labor. Yes it was $150, but cheaper than buying 5 new windows. We did not have condensation on the windows, but areas that had complete "fog"
Old 07-14-2017, 09:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
We just had 5 windows replaced (our house is 6 years old) due to the seals being broken. The windows are free but you have to pay for labor. Yes it was $150, but cheaper than buying 5 new windows. We did not have condensation on the windows, but areas that had complete "fog"
Did you have to pay $150 for each window that was replaced?
Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Veteran member

the windows in my home are cheap windows, not made very well.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:39 AM
Gold member

I would assume that answer is Yes. Going to call again now
Old 07-14-2017, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

All the windows in the Villages are manufactured
by Chicken Window Co..Cheap Cheap Cheap
Old 07-14-2017, 11:47 AM
Gold member

OK. more bad news. Villagers take note. Now we are told that we have to pay $150 to have your 10 yr warranty on Windows kick in. You will pay the labor cost, even though your getting lousy windows, plus you will pay for the window itself If your not the 1st homeowner. This home is Only 5 to 6 yrs old and we are 2nd owner. Absolutely ridiculous the villages doesn't even honor their 10 yr warranty. So after we pay all this money, which we shouldn't even have to pay, what is to say they don't come back, replace with more crappy windows?? this is outrageous the villages doesn't care about homeowners
Old 07-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
OK. more bad news. Villagers take note. Now we are told that we have to pay $150 to have your 10 yr warranty on Windows kick in. You will pay the labor cost, even though your getting lousy windows, plus you will pay for the window itself If your not the 1st homeowner. This home is Only 5 to 6 yrs old and we are 2nd owner. Absolutely ridiculous the villages doesn't even honor their 10 yr warranty. So after we pay all this money, which we shouldn't even have to pay, what is to say they don't come back, replace with more crappy windows?? this is outrageous the villages doesn't care about homeowners
Unlike the old ones.... you could check the new ones "before" you buy them!
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, installing, charge, warranty, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.