Out of place?

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
manufactured home and replace it with a frame or block home.

btk
Are there deed restrictions? Do the rebuilds go through Architectural Review?

Last edited by Pturner; 02-02-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: correct a mistake
Old 02-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
I was a real estate appraiser in another life. Actually this new house sounds like an "overimprovement." This will not diminish the values in the neighborhood, but will negatively affect the value of the overimprovement.
I saw the house in question a couple of weeks ago when we went to a meeting at Paradise. I thought "What the heck is that?"

I am a real estate appraiser in my current life and eremite06 is spot on. This home is over-built for the neighborhood and its value will be diminshed, in the short term, by the surrounding properties.

However...there's always a however...the natural life-cycle of neighborhoods is on-going in this situation. The razing of existing older structures that are not up to current market standards, and the buidling of new dwellings to market standard happens everywhere there is an active market.

As it becomes less expensive to buy an older home just for the land and to build a new home on that land than to buy in a new home the newer sections of TV, more and more you will see the neighborhood change from primarily older homes with a sprinkling of newer homes, to primarily newer homes with a sprinkling of older homes.

Change is the one constant in life. Everything is dynamic...even neighborhoods. And the more active the market, the more profound and rapid the change.

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Are there deed restrictions? Does the rebuilds go through Architectural Review?
I expect there are deed restrictions and possibly Architectural Review. I also think the builder has complied with all that is needed before starting a project of this magnitude.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Gee, wouldn't it be wonderful if they were building on that site another health club with an indoor pool!!!??? Dream on McDuff, huh?

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 02-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

We were told, by our realtor, 2 years ago that we woukd be able to do this, if we bought on the historic side.
We thought about the lovely views down the hill being spoiled though, and decided no.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:05 PM

The house is on Paradise. I have talked to the owners and it is a long term project.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson View Post
The house is on Paradise. I have talked to the owners and it is a long term project.
Hi there Emerson and welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy adding to our discussions and reading our thoughts.

I have to ask what you mean by a "long term project"?' Do you mean that it is going to take a long time to finish, or they are having work done slowly as they can pay, or when it is finished it is going to be quite the showplace?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Drove by there yesterday and it looked like the homeowners were doing a lot of the work themselves.

I've always thought buying on the historical side while a snowbird or snowflake is a good idea. You can get a cheap place to stay until you're ready to retire. Once you're in TV permanently, you can either sell your nice, large lot or tear down the manufactured home and build pretty much to your own taste if you so desire. (The deed restrictions are much lesss restrictive on the historic side.)

While this home is over-built for now, I think it will ultimately fit right in. I did drive by another house near Aloha Way (can't remember exactly where, sorry) a few months ago that was being built. It looked very much like the designers/ranches south of 466 -- stucco and all.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Veteran member

When we were on the historic side they were tearing down another manufactured home and there was a couple of empty lots. I wonder if more constructed homes are going up on those lots.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Default Staying put

We bought a year ago on the "historical side" and are happy we did. We have a nice home that we frequent every 2 months or so and are very comfortable there. We have no desire to live on the other side of 441 as we have all our conveniences here and a new golf cart if we feel we need to drive to the other side.
Life is good no matter where we are at any given time.

Last edited by escapequeen; 02-07-2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: took out an extra word
Old 02-07-2011, 10:57 PM

And we are retired. My husband retired from the military in 2003, we are debt free and the sky is the limit.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Veteran member
Default amenity fee

If you use 2 lots to build a home, do you pay double the amenity fee ?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Oldcrabs View Post
If you use 2 lots to build a home, do you pay double the amenity fee ?
That is a very good question, but I wonder if the deed restrictions would allow you to build that way. Anybody know?

AND I would think there are some guidelines as to who and how you build, or because of the difference in restrictions there, is it ANYTHING goes?

Someone is going to say that they would think that the developer would have to build the house, (so he can make more money) so I will say it.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Send a message via AIM to BethS Send a message via Yahoo to BethS

Right on!!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Someone is going to say that they would think that the developer would have to build the house, (so he can make more money) so I will say it.

Sorry, sweetie, but I don't think anyone thinks that (at least I hope not). So far as I know, if a home falls within the deed restrictions, is approved by the Architectural Committee and gets the proper permits, anyone can build it. There are legal restrictions and, so far as I know, people have the right to hire whomever they wish to do a legal job, even in construction.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.