Outdoor kitchen what would you do different?

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2019, 12:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts
Default Outdoor kitchen what would you do different?

First of all I will be doing this myself so no need to make recommendations on who to hire. On the positive side I can do whatever design I choose.

Background:. I have a sheltered area off the slider for a kitchen that is pre-plumbed, with gas and water. It opens up to the pool.

What would you do different? What do you like about your kitchen or wish you could improve upon?

I am thinking about a sink with a commercial style faucet for easy cleaning of grill

A commercial under counter fridge like this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07NV...tSZWRpcmVjdA==.

What is your opinion of over the counter cabinets in stainless? I noticed that very few kitchens in resales have this.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:01 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Two thoughts:

Stainless gets damaged easily.

On refrig, consider dual temp zones if you are going to store wine.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Two thoughts:

Stainless gets damaged easily.

On refrig, consider dual temp zones if you are going to store wine.
I have thought about that on the cabinets. There are two options on stainless, all stainless construction or one of wood finished with tile like above an indoor kitchen countertop then finished off with stainless doors (just the door) you would minimize the stainless subject to damage. So you could have a cabinet that looks marble stone or tile.

Last edited by Toymeister; 12-14-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:45 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Just my two cents.....(might not be worth that much....). I have inspected hundreds of outdoor kitchens and the countertops and backsplashes made out of tile ALL have cracks in the grout. The grout also stains very easily if not sealed, especially from grease.

One prominent company here in The Villages always installs the roof vent for outdoor kitchens with covers that are already rusting from being scratched up, etc, even when brand new. Make sure your roof cowling is painted nice without scratches that can rust within days after the installation.

Be leery of any cabinets made of wood, as they will warp outside. I'm sure you know this. Consider good lighting for when you are cooking. I do overnight cooks...(brisket, pulled pork, ribs, etc.) Good lighting is needed.

I also have a large Lanai, (about 800 sq ft under roof ) so I was tempted to put in an outdoor kitchen...but then I bought a wood pellet grill that is also a smoker, a searing station, etc. It can also be a pizza oven, flat top grill, etc,...so I am now glad I did not commit to a drop in gas grill only. It has low and high temp alerts, all wifi so my phone tells me it is done using a BBQ app.

Good luck on your project!!

Frank D.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Our outdoor kitchen is in the elements. We have brick with granite that is sealed. We do not have a drop in grill, I think they are a pain when something goes wrong. Our grill, and pizza oven slides in, looks like it’s built in. Since it’s in sections we can move it to any area

The only thing your fridge should hold is soda or beer. Unless you use an expensive wine fridge the vibrations do a disservice to a good wine.

The only thing I wish we had put in is a fireplace
Old 12-14-2019, 08:09 PM

likethelegges, our outdoor kitchen is outside. I designed, orchestrated and helped build our outdoor summer kitchen for my husband. I bought 2 pvc/polymer faced cabinets, extra pvc/wood for spacers, extra piece of polymer; had granite cut at scrap granite yard, painted perfectly good grill the same color of cabinets, attached a polymer apron to hide wheels. Had out Stokes stone apply stone to the back wall 1/4" above granite, so the cabinets float - move when and if needed and I had him apply stone to the sides of the cabinets so everything looks built in. Eventually the grill will need replaced as all grills do. The new grill could be narrower/wider, so we're ready. Did not add sink at this time. I tried to attach a photo to show you, something truly creative and a fraction of the cost.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Just my two cents.....(might not be worth that much....). I have inspected hundreds of outdoor kitchens and the countertops and backsplashes made out of tile ALL have cracks in the grout. The grout also stains very easily if not sealed, especially from grease.

One prominent company here in The Villages always installs the roof vent for outdoor kitchens with covers that are already rusting from being scratched up, etc, even when brand new. Make sure your roof cowling is painted nice without scratches that can rust within days after the installation.

Be leery of any cabinets made of wood, as they will warp outside. I'm sure you know this. Consider good lighting for when you are cooking. I do overnight cooks...(brisket, pulled pork, ribs, etc.) Good lighting is needed.

I also have a large Lanai, (about 800 sq ft under roof ) so I was tempted to put in an outdoor kitchen...but then I bought a wood pellet grill that is also a smoker, a searing station, etc. It can also be a pizza oven, flat top grill, etc,...so I am now glad I did not commit to a drop in gas grill only. It has low and high temp alerts, all wifi so my phone tells me it is done using a BBQ app.

Good luck on your project!!

Frank D.
Excellent points, Frank. I thought a sealed reinforced, colored concrete countertop might work.as well as other countertop. Instead of a conventional grill opt for a big Green egg on wheels. I had a pellet stove for a while and it wasn't for me. Great ideas!
Old 12-14-2019, 10:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Our outdoor kitchen is in the elements. We have brick with granite that is sealed. We do not have a drop in grill, I think they are a pain when something goes wrong. Our grill, and pizza oven slides in, looks like it’s built in. Since it’s in sections we can move it to any area

The only thing your fridge should hold is soda or beer. Unless you use an expensive wine fridge the vibrations do a disservice to a good wine.

The only thing I wish we had put in is a fireplace
Scrap granite sounds great. Like you I am thinking of something different in stead of a grill I was thinking a slide in grill like restaurants use for pancakes.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneil View Post
likethelegges, our outdoor kitchen is outside. I designed, orchestrated and helped build our outdoor summer kitchen for my husband. I bought 2 pvc/polymer faced cabinets, extra pvc/wood for spacers, extra piece of polymer; had granite cut at scrap granite yard, painted perfectly good grill the same color of cabinets, attached a polymer apron to hide wheels. Had out Stokes stone apply stone to the back wall 1/4" above granite, so the cabinets float - move when and if needed and I had him apply stone to the sides of the cabinets so everything looks built in. Eventually the grill will need replaced as all grills do. The new grill could be narrower/wider, so we're ready. Did not add sink at this time. I tried to attach a photo to show you, something truly creative and a fraction of the cost.
Polymer is something that never occured to me. Do you recall the brand name of the cabinets?
Old 12-15-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneil View Post
I too would like to build a summer kitchen I would like to know where you got your cabinets. Or could you send me a picture as well.aviator95d@gmail.com
Old 12-15-2019, 09:42 AM
Platinum member

Most people on my street have removed the grills or just don't use them. Too much smoke and a real pain to clean.
One put in an automatic icemaker out there. I thought that was a great idea. Never have enough ice.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:27 PM

I made a square frame out of trex from Lowe's up side down to wheel the grill in the tracks to keep square, also miter cut the ends so the grill easily rolled into place. Used composite shims to level.
King Starboard cabinets
You can also buy the PVC "wood" in different widths at Lowes.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:39 PM

Make sure the vent fan has high power to get the smoke out of the lanai. Also I bought awesome outdoor cabinets from
Garage Storage and Organization
they were half the price of exact same. You can either get their stainless tops or add your own. I got sink cabinet, grill cabinet, cabinet with large drawers, one with cooler and garbage cans. Plus a blank for the outdoor fridge. More than welcome to contact me to take a look. Ours was roughed in also. We went with the New Age wood grain.
Joe 7122608441
Old 12-15-2019, 05:14 PM

IMO, stainless steel is a pain to keep clean.
How about Quartz countertops instead of granite?
Or colored concrete?
Closed Thread

Tags
kitchen, commercial, counter, fridge, thinking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.