Outdoor misting fan

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2015, 06:01 PM
Default Outdoor misting fan

We would like to purchase the above. I have searched the web but have not come up with any consistently well recommended fan. The prices go from $100 up to around $500. In the summer, there is no way I can be outside on the lanai any time of day or night unless I get something like this. Being in the pool is fine, but wanting to sit on the lanai and read or nap, is impossible. We are from WA state where it doesn't get much over 70o most of the time. Does anyone have such a fan or know of one they would recommend?

Once in Las Vegas, I sat by the pool and read and the overhead misting system was great for cooling off. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:53 PM
Sage

Outdoor misting fans are used when it is hot and dry. Believe me the last thing you want to do in Florida is add more humidity to yourself.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Outdoor misting fans are used when it is hot and dry. Believe me the last thing you want to do in Florida is add more humidity to yourself.

Good advise......low humidity equals fast evaporating and cooling. High humidity the evaporating is very slow and won't cool, only get you wet.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:15 PM
Gold member

recommend you buy a powerful fan, from sams, aim it on yourself and relax.

Misting doesn't work, been there...tried that....
Old 02-18-2015, 09:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

The above posters are correct. I have been in Las Vegas when it was 105 degrees, did not feel as hot as here at 95 degrees and 80 percent humidity or higher. Last summer was supposedly hotter than normal (this was our first), I was able to work in the garage with a fan, and no additional cooling. I would suggest a nice vertical type fan and see how that works.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:52 PM

Thank you, but I still plan to buy a misting fan. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding a good one to buy?
Old 02-19-2015, 05:22 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I've seen a couple of lanais with misting tubing but no fans. Might want to try that route but I'm with the others that humidity is just too high here to add more water to the mix.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-19-2015, 05:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceylady View Post
We would like to purchase the above. I have searched the web but have not come up with any consistently well recommended fan. The prices go from $100 up to around $500. In the summer, there is no way I can be outside on the lanai any time of day or night unless I get something like this. Being in the pool is fine, but wanting to sit on the lanai and read or nap, is impossible. We are from WA state where it doesn't get much over 70o most of the time. Does anyone have such a fan or know of one they would recommend?

Once in Las Vegas, I sat by the pool and read and the overhead misting system was great for cooling off. Thanks for any help.
I hope this helps: Best Misting Fan – Compare Reviews and Ratings | Bestcovery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2j8hVmxudg
Old 02-19-2015, 08:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I have been around misters in non-desert environments and you can get some relief but you need to have appropriate expectations. A "really nasty day" here would be around 95 with a 77 dewpoint. This works out to about 55% relative humidity. There is some "room for evaporation", which will cool the air, but not much. Dew point is a measure of the actual amount of moisture in the air and it is difficult to evaporate much more water into the air, which is what misters try to do. The relative humidity might appear to be low but it is difficult to get it much higher than about 60% with a temperature of 95. I won't bore you with the details. With dewpoints in the upper 70s, there is little evaporation from your skin, which is why it feels so hot. Again, a mister will drop the air temperature a little bit but there is not much potential. If you get a mister, I would recommend that you buy it at a place where you can return it if you don't see a benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceylady View Post

Old 02-19-2015, 09:44 AM

Thank you for these links. I will order one of the four fans they recommend.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:43 PM

Laceylady; As I post this I am up north. I was just in Lowes and I saw two portable misting fans in the seasonal dept. Weather they are in the Florida Lowes on 441 is another story.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the info. I will check out Lowe's down here.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.