Outdoor Racquetball Courts

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2020, 07:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,135 Times in 880 Posts

I couldn't find single tennis partners because everybody felt it was too hard on their body. Can't imagine you'd find enough racquetball players to make it worth while to build a bunch of courts.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,878 Times in 2,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Oh Good Morning.

Daughter Helene's favorite mantra. We can't have everything we want.

Mine is; it costs money you know to have every little whim satisfied.

AND my opinion.....I think we know what will happen and not happen.

I am satisfied about everything thing here but still surprised that there is no pencil sharpener in the Art Rooms.
Really, but can get 120 thousand shade roof for dog park or 80 plus thousand toilet at gate that didn’t have one for 40 plus years.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 08-04-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:54 AM

I played handball...same court specs. Looked for courts. Nearest I could find: 6 in Lady Lake by their baseball complex (near the Library). For some reason those courts are not regulation size...at least it seemed to me...why would they do that???
So I went to the 2 in Fruitland Park near the municipal bldgs. The Villages High School had two courts near their athletic complex. Went to check them out...maintenance man working outdoors directed me to them BUT said they were not being used due to "no interest". They were being used for storing bags of materials...full...maybe stuff for ground maint? Regardless I considered going to school admin. to check for interest in volunteers offering free instruction/clincs in racquetball and handball for students/staff, etc. in exchange for privileges to use the courts. Suspect that might be a "hard sell"...liability, etc. Perhaps a class for everyone via the Enrichment Academy. Seems a waste to let the courts just "sit there". Regarding encouraging Rec. Dept to build some. I think that might be possible...no really :-).
Our former neighbor, Joe Russo, went to Rec. Dept. about platform tennis..there was none here. There is now becasue of Joe's efforts. Pitched and sold the idea. Courts we want would be more multipurpose - racquetball, handball, and I've seen tennis players in them practicing their ground strokes. I don't know but I supect the life cycle costs of our courts would be less expensive than the platform courts?
Old 08-03-2020, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
I think it is the high humidity very easy to over heat when your sweat won’t evaporate.
If that were the reason, then there would be no tennis courts. Racketball is decreasing in popularity and the court may be expensive to construct. Pickleball is increasing in popularity, so it may be more logical to put the resources there.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harold63G View Post
I played handball...same court specs. Looked for courts. Nearest I could find: 6 in Lady Lake by their baseball complex (near the Library). For some reason those courts are not regulation size...at least it seemed to me...why would they do that???
So I went to the 2 in Fruitland Park near the municipal bldgs. The Villages High School had two courts near their athletic complex. Went to check them out...maintenance man working outdoors directed me to them BUT said they were not being used due to "no interest". They were being used for storing bags of materials...full...maybe stuff for ground maint? Regardless I considered going to school admin. to check for interest in volunteers offering free instruction/clincs in racquetball and handball for students/staff, etc. in exchange for privileges to use the courts. Suspect that might be a "hard sell"...liability, etc. Perhaps a class for everyone via the Enrichment Academy. Seems a waste to let the courts just "sit there". Regarding encouraging Rec. Dept to build some. I think that might be possible...no really :-).
Our former neighbor, Joe Russo, went to Rec. Dept. about platform tennis..there was none here. There is now becasue of Joe's efforts. Pitched and sold the idea. Courts we want would be more multipurpose - racquetball, handball, and I've seen tennis players in them practicing their ground strokes. I don't know but I supect the life cycle costs of our courts would be less expensive than the platform courts?
Handball is a big sport at the Y's. Not sure if it's the case here
Old 08-03-2020, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,739 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I alway wondered why the called it platform tennis? Not played with racket but paddle?
In the northeast where the game originated, PT is played on a raised platform heated to remove snow. In some places it is called paddleball and is played with a paddle.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:37 AM
Thumbs up

The positives to outdoor courts are that they would be multi-purpose (very versatile), practically maintenance free (if constructed using best materials available) and last for decades to come. Other uses can be; I've played on outdoor 3 wall (long and short side walled) courts and had the opportunity to participate in racquetball, handball, paddleball events. I've used and seen others use the 3' line on the front wall as a pickleball net to practice dinking and get the feeling for keeping the ball just at or slightly above it as do tennis players. Just wanted to reinforce your multi-purpose and maintenance free statements.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.