Outdoor Racquetball Courts

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2020, 07:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

We played Racket ball every week until coming here. Not a fan of pickle ball. Local courts would be great
Old 08-03-2020, 04:50 AM

I played racquetball for 30 years, but when I moved here I found pickleball a good alternative...and easier on my body!
Old 08-03-2020, 05:32 AM

I’d love that..but I’m guessing all the rac players have gone pickle..
Old 08-03-2020, 05:32 AM

Racquetball courts at Too Your Health fitness gym just south of Lady Lakes on 441/27 and there are always people playing when I use the gym
Old 08-03-2020, 05:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
I am sure there are many former racquetball players here in TV. Have any of you wondered why there are no 3 wall outdoor courts in TV? They are not that uncommon in Florida.

Maybe because of no perceived interest?
I think it is the high humidity very easy to over heat when your sweat won’t evaporate.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:59 AM
Default Horseshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I think they listen, they no longer put horseshoe pits at the neighborhood pools, replaced by bean toss. Much safer to say the least.
They just last week put new horseshoe pits in behind Bradenton Rec Center....
Old 08-03-2020, 06:09 AM
Lightbulb Racquetball

I too was an avid racquetball player, indoor and out, and found it strange that there was no racquetball in TV. Ability is a big factor here not age. As we slow down so does the game. I moved from south Fl and there are some very, very good players that are 60+. In addition to racquetball if outdoor 3 wall (long side wall) courts were built they could also be used for handball and paddle ball players. I mentioned long side wall because they bring more player safety into the game. If they were built correctly and with the best material available they would be practically maintenance free. I'm not an organizer or social media person but racquetball is in my wheel house (even though I haven't played since 2013). I believe if a survey for racquetball and handball players was performed the interest would be very good. Not only would those courts serve the players but in a disaster or emergency they could be used as a temporary holding area for materials and/or debris.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:23 AM

My racquetball days are over.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Oh Good Morning.

Daughter Helene's favorite mantra. We can't have everything we want.

Mine is; it costs money you know to have every little whim satisfied.

AND my opinion.....I think we know what will happen and not happen.

I am satisfied about everything thing here but still surprised that there is no pencil sharpener in the Art Rooms.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:07 AM

Aaa offers safe driving classes. Small cost but you get a discount on part of your auto insurance.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,348 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby De View Post
I too was an avid racquetball player, indoor and out, and found it strange that there was no racquetball in TV. Ability is a big factor here not age. As we slow down so does the game. I moved from south Fl and there are some very, very good players that are 60+. In addition to racquetball if outdoor 3 wall (long side wall) courts were built they could also be used for handball and paddle ball players. I mentioned long side wall because they bring more player safety into the game. If they were built correctly and with the best material available they would be practically maintenance free. I'm not an organizer or social media person but racquetball is in my wheel house (even though I haven't played since 2013). I believe if a survey for racquetball and handball players was performed the interest would be very good. Not only would those courts serve the players but in a disaster or emergency they could be used as a temporary holding area for materials and/or debris.
Recreation Administration
984 Old Mill Run
The Villages, FL 32162

Phone: 352-674-1800
Fax: 352-674-1805
Old 08-03-2020, 07:22 AM
Default Racquetball in TV.

As a 40+ year veteran of four-wall indoor handball, I wouldn't be concerned with getting hit with that "squishy" ball. (eyeguards) I WOULD be concerned with FOUR elderly people running around swinging those racquets !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I love racquetball, but not likely to appear in TV imho.

Hard smashes with not-so-forgiving ball. Lots of hard direction changes to cover back court and side courts and then to get right back up front again. Not like any other racquet sport currently in TV.

Again, imho.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:39 AM

Hi Village People - Lol!

I am Karen, I live in Newberry, FL (just west of Gainesville). I joined your forums this past spring because I own a rental home in a 55+ community in Gainesville and was looking for ideas, information, inspiration as a landlord. I have since rented the home but I receive the Talk of the Village forum daily in my email. It is my wish to live there one day so I am thrilled to be a part of your community in some small way for the time being.

I saw your post about racquetball and my eyes lit up!! I love racquetball! I am 55 years old myself. When I was 51 I started a racquetball group in Gainesville and now, 4 years later, I have well over a hundred members. What I want to say is that racquetball is alive and well and I have members who are in their 60's and 70's and they are some of the hardest players to beat. You do have to be in shape to play or you can get hurt but even going to a court alone and hitting the ball is good exercise, or just playing a light game. Eye protection, a wrist strap, and sneakers with good traction is a must.

I do not know what TV offers in the way of racquetball but I was hoping that there were courts there, I would think a community such as TV would offer enclosed, air conditioned courts. I know that On Top of The World in Ocala has courts.
If you are interested in playing you can always go to the Ocala YMCA, they have nice courts.

Check out my site: GainesvilleRacquetballMeetup.com.

On day I will be living there and I will be the voice of racquetball for TV, as I have been in Gainesville. I meet with Parks and Recreation Managers on a somewhat frequent basis to make sure that they are keeping our courts cleaned out and cared for. When the city was threatening to tear down the courts we played on I fought them and they have built us two brand new courts.

I am glad to hear that there are some residents there that play!
Keep on playing, if you don't use it you'll lose it :-)

Best regards,
Karen

Last edited by Moderator; 08-03-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

try platform tennis.... play off the cages walls.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

play platform tennis!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.