Outdoor shower in lanai

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2020, 07:52 PM
Default Outdoor shower in lanai

We are beginning our plans to build down in The Villages and all the forums have been extremely helpful. Thank you all for the great advice. This has helped us think about things that we didn't even know we had to think about! One thing we are very certain of is that we want to have our own pool. We would love to have a shower in the lanai to rinse off before getting in and after getting out of the water. Does anyone have a shower in their lanai (if this is even allowed) and if so, anything we should consider before moving forward with this? Thanks in advance for any advice!!
Old 05-29-2020, 08:17 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

For the shower you have two options, having the lines plumbed in like an outdoor kitchen, or one of the "big pipe" models they sell on amazon. You run a garden hose to them, the pipe, which is also holds the shower head, fills with water. They are black, they also have cold water adjustment. Enough for two showers. They are bolted to the concrete deck and cost 250.00. Obviously they heat the water by the sun. Low tech, takes up little space.

My recommendation, if the lot allows, is a back door to the garage with a screen door. A hideaway retracting screen door is fine. Some pool lots can accommodate this, especially if the lot is narrow in front and wide in the back. You will appreciate the cool(er) garage
Old 05-29-2020, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the info!!
Old 05-29-2020, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Besides the outdoor shower, which is great to have. Something people overlook until the home has been built, is a door to an inside bathroom. Nothing better than to have a door straight to a bathroom and avoiding running through the air conditioned home in a wet swimsuit when a door is all you need. It can be even a half bath with just a toilet and sink.

The Villages Florida
Old 05-29-2020, 08:46 PM

Wow, never even thought about that. Thanks for the idea!
Old 05-29-2020, 08:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Question for the poster: you will probably install a salt water pool, so there will be no chlorine to rinse off. Consider this before you invest in an outside shower.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:55 PM
Platinum member

The original owners of our house had a hot tub on the patio. They had an outdoor shower installed. The hot tub is long gone, but we still have the shower. We have used it a few times to cool off on hot days, water to wash off the patio, or to get water for plants. Also, a conversation topic when we have guest.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:08 PM

We are leaning towards the salt water pool. From what I have read showering off before entering will help with the maintenance cost of the pool...haven't talked to any experts on that yet but would like to have about 95% of this figured out before our design meetings!
Old 05-29-2020, 09:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

A complete waste of money in my opinion. As someone who owns and uses a salt water pool nearly all year (as well as friends and family who use it) an outdoor shower is absolutely not necessary. I cannot even begin to fathom why anyone would say it is a benefit. An even bigger waste of money would be having a bathroom located directly next to the pool. Complete nonsense. Please feel free to send me a private message if you would like more information.

Last edited by photo1902; 05-29-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
///An even bigger waste of money would be having a bathroom located directly next to the pool. Complete nonsense. Please feel free to send me a private message if you would like more information.
What do you do, go in the pool? I've had two pools in two different Florida homes. It's a great idea to have access from the outside to a bathroom. To say differently is complete nonsense. You don't have the bathroom next to the pool. Many homes if properly designed will have a half bath somewhere near the living area, it only requires the addition of a second door. Sort of a Jack-n-Jill situation. Many homes built in Spring Hill where I lived a few years ago, all came with this feature.

I'm going back aways, here's my very first pool, a 16 x 32 installed in 1979 in a home I built in Pensacola Florida. This photo is 41 years old.

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 05-29-2020 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:47 AM

A lanai shower is not necessary. Put your pennies toward a pool bath. This is a must, if you are building a pool. Ever try to walk dripping wet on tile through the house? This is an accident waiting to happen!
Old 05-30-2020, 04:50 AM

We have a villa w/o a pool. Remodel included an outdoor shower w/ wood enclosure.
(outside kitchen window) Rarely do we wash inside. Rarely do we clean indoor showers.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
What do you do, go in the pool? I've had two pools in two different Florida homes. It's a great idea to have access from the outside to a bathroom. To say differently is complete nonsense. You don't have the bathroom next to the pool. Many homes if properly designed will have a half bath somewhere near the living area, it only requires the addition of a second door. Sort of a Jack-n-Jill situation. Many homes built in Spring Hill where I lived a few years ago, all came with this feature.

I'm going back aways, here's my very first pool, a 16 x 32 installed in 1979 in a home I built in Pensacola Florida. This photo is 41 years old.

The Villages Florida
We get out, pat dry with a towel, then go inside to the bathroom. I can’t believe I had to explain it to you, it’s a a pretty simple concept, and has worked well for years. Geesh.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:42 AM

In Florida it is called a pool bath, a salt water converter will help immensely with the expense of pool chemicals and really keeps your skin, hair and suits nice.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:37 AM

Don't let anyone tell you a salt pool is cheaper. It is nice in that it makes the chlorine for you, but rain constantly changes ph and calcium levels, thus you buy chemicals. Plus everytime you backwash you send salt out of your pool, thus, replace salt. In the 10 years I have owned a salt pool, I have replaced 3 salt cells, $275.00 a piece, 1 computer board, $600.00, 3 pool pumps, $360.00 a piece. I have done the work myself so I did not have to pay a pool company to do it which would have cost an additional 2- 300.00 bucks each time. The salt is corrosive and destroys things. Lightening takes out computer boards,, etc. Salt is great, but it does not cut your overall cost.
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, shower, advice, rinse, outdoor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.