Outdoor shower in lanai

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2020, 06:39 AM

Built a pool a year ago. Also put a hot water shower in a semi-enclosed area at the end of the pool. Connected water line to house hot water heater. Best thing ever. I swim an hour every day. After the swim I shower and dry off and change into new clothes. No tracking in the house. Best thing I ever did.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,503 Posts
Default If only I knew then ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberkner View Post
We are beginning our plans to build down in The Villages and all the forums have been extremely helpful. Thank you all for the great advice. This has helped us think about things that we didn't even know we had to think about! One thing we are very certain of is that we want to have our own pool. We would love to have a shower in the lanai to rinse off before getting in and after getting out of the water. Does anyone have a shower in their lanai (if this is even allowed) and if so, anything we should consider before moving forward with this? Thanks in advance for any advice!!
We put a pool in and now I wish we had the foresight to put a shower near by to rinse off and, (don't laugh) sometimes would even like a toilet handy so you don't have to drip your way through the house to get to one. There are days I could be happy to spend 12 hours in the pool if I had those two facilities close to hand.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:53 AM
Veteran member
Default Totally Agree for a Pool Bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeroger View Post
A lanai shower is not necessary. Put your pennies toward a pool bath. This is a must, if you are building a pool. Ever try to walk dripping wet on tile through the house? This is an accident waiting to happen!
We wish we had put in at least a half bath off of our pool, with an outdoor shower. We have a salt water pool which is great, but it still leaves a slight pool odor on my skin that I like to wash off. Tile floors inside the house are truly slippery when wet if you need to use the bathroom. Enjoy your build!!
Old 05-30-2020, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

That’s the one thing we failed to put in our pool, spa, kitchen that we added. We have one at our Sumer home on Lake Michigan and it get used more than the bathroom showers. They’ll try to talk you into a salt water pool here, in which case you will really need one. We resisted the salt water pool and stuck with the fresh water. If you’re going to have the project designed and built after you buy your house make only one call, to T&D Spa and Pool. They’re be far the best. I didn’t even call anyone for another bid. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2020, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

A pool bath is not only a good idea for its convenience when using the pool. It is also very handy when sitting outside on your lanai.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:23 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeroger View Post
A lanai shower is not necessary. Put your pennies toward a pool bath. This is a must, if you are building a pool.

Agree...........outdoor accessible bathroom is great. With shower, yes you might rinse off.....but unless to strip down (& use soap), you ain't getting all the pool water (or dried pool water) off.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:39 AM

Hang a water hose
Old 05-30-2020, 07:56 AM
Default Pool bath

You might want to look for an Elm designer home. The guest bath has a door directly to the lanai so you wouldn’t have to walk through the house to use the bathroom or shower.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:05 AM

With close to 100 pools With shower with toilet in the villages, I cant see the need for a home pool. I fussed with a pool for 35 years up north so I know all of the plagues that come with them.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Question for the poster: you will probably install a salt water pool, so there will be no chlorine to rinse off. Consider this before you invest in an outside shower.
A salt water pool generates cholorine.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:46 AM

my only response is to the folks who think a salt water filter actually makes their pool salt water. It does not the system uses the salt to create chlorine cheaper than buying it to use. So your pool still uses chlorine for cleanliness.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:48 AM

If you live south of 466 do not use a garden hose type outdoor shower. Outside water is reuse and not potable. Call City of Wildwood water dept if you're in Fenny area and Brownwood area and they will explain what your outdoor water is, otherwise call the Villages Utility dept and ask for the water dept phone number and call them and ask about your outdoor hose water. It is all reuse, clean but not drinkable and legally can hold some bacteria so you definitely don't want to shower with this water. You get 2 separate charges on your monthly bill, potable which is inside, and nonpotable which is outside.

Last edited by Villagesgal; 05-30-2020 at 08:50 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-30-2020, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
We get out, pat dry with a towel, then go inside to the bathroom. I can’t believe I had to explain it to you, it’s a a pretty simple concept, and has worked well for years. Geesh.
Even simpler is a half bath on an exterior wall, instead of a small window, you add a second door. I can't believe someone cannot grasp such a simple idea that is used 100's of times in Florida home construction. This is what is looks like, the photo taken from the doorway near the kitchen, instead of a small frosted window, you add a door, like a Jack-N-Jill layout.

The Villages Florida
Old 05-30-2020, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
If you live south of 466 do not use a garden hose type outdoor shower. Outside water is reuse and not potable...
That's not true, that means I've been washing my car with reused water. The outside water spickets are potable water, only the reused water goes to your irrigation system.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:00 AM

Appreciate the info.
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, shower, advice, rinse, outdoor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.